Wigglers At Last!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hello all just checking in on you. looks like everyone is doing good. im good and christmas was awesome. dont wor ill never give up my passion for angels and i will be back .

Well the jury is still out but it looks like the switch to pure rainwater within a few minutes of spawning's end may be a good thing. My marble's eggs with the low hatch rate hatched out today. About 90% hatch!!! I was in shock since their last few spawns were either eaten or had about 10 fry live. ( That's 10 NOT 10%!!!) The next test is to see if the fry are "normal" or belly rubbers.
I'll keep y'all posted.

Would love to see pics of the new babies too!

Well my experiment continues...

After getting the fish moved and finding my heater was kaput, and adding a new heater, the Angels were acting indifferent to each other, I kept having to look at the two I put into the 37G to make sure they were the pair, not one of the pair and the 3rd wheel fish!!!

Temp is 79F now.

Last night, I thought I saw them cleaning the stone. Tonight, I see them really cleaning and begging for food, which always is increased when it is spawning time. So I fed them a little more, and they acted like they were starved and had never eaten before, not like 3 hours ago!

There are still 5 Cories and 3 Otos in there, so I hope that isn't TOO much of a problem. I was still planning on moving the Cories and leaving the Otos, at least for one round to see if it would be alright or not. But I guess we will just see what happens this time around with both groups.

I actually got to see the marbles lay eggs and it's definitely male and female. So far the spawn seems to be a decent size but I'm not sure as to how well the male is doing his part. He just lingers around. Does the occasional pass eating a few eggs along the way and knocking some off the slate as well. The female also knocks some off as well while she makes her pass. Perhaps I need to angle it more? Busy prepping the jar for the eggs. Haven't hatched eggs for a while

I actually got to see the marbles lay eggs and it's definitely male and female. So far the spawn seems to be a decent size but I'm not sure as to how well the male is doing his part. He just lingers around. Does the occasional pass eating a few eggs along the way and knocking some off the slate as well. The female also knocks some off as well while she makes her pass. Perhaps I need to angle it more? Busy prepping the jar for the eggs. Haven't hatched eggs for a while

For what it's worth: My Gold Marble/ Marble pair now has given me 3 good spawns that I pulled to hatch out and with all 3, the majority of the eggs hatched on the floor of the bottle. I don't know why they won't stay on the slate for more than a day. I am using the same piece of slate for this pair for each spawning as they have refused to use any other rocks or slate pieces so I don't know if it's the slate or the fish? But the hatch rate is high no matter where they are. Let them finish then get the eggs out.

I'm also using pure distilled water ( actually it's rain water) to hatch the eggs out in so if you have a poor hatch %, you may want to try this trick before declaring the pair as a dud. The PH is about 6.0-6.2 in my rainwater and the Marble pair now has their first high % hatch rate using this method.

Hope this helps (y)

Pulled the stone and I can say I'm please with the spawn size. A brief refresher on this pair of black marbles. I got these two a couple of months ago as a trade for broad leaf plants that seem to multiply like crazy in my grow out tanks. Must be all that fish waste! ? They were part of a trio that when he when to bring them to me he couldn't find the third so I had concern at first whether I actually a pair or not (that's been resolved). They're spawn sizes according to him was about 125 and he never bothered to hatch them. This spawn size is them same size as my other breeder and they are large eggs as well. Not let's hope the male did his part. He acted completely different than my other males. He kind of floated around and made the occasional pass. And when he did make his pass it was very fast. I guess we will see in a couple of days.

Since im in new york my mom is taking care of my angels and babies. She told me my angels layed eggs yesterday and didnt notice them till today. She wasnt expecting it at all. Since i pulled the eggs last time its been 2.5 weeks since my last batch of eggs. So its beginning. Time to set up the hatchery again.

Happy New Years everybody! My black/silver pair's fry will be free swimming today I think. My marble pairs are duds again. I'll try the distilled water like Andy suggested but I'm pretty sure the male isn't doing anything with the spawn. He may still need to get comfortable with new home

Happy New Year everyone !
Sooooo.... Thought I had 2 female Koi Angels but one of them laid eggs yesterday so looks like I have a breeding pair. Not set up for babies, not sure what to do.....
There s Yoyo loaches in the tank, I think they were eating the eggs but some of the eggs fell down into the crevices in a peice of driftwood. Will those hatch?

Happy New Year everyone. Hope we all have a very fishy year. I'm on my way!!! ;) :D

So in keeping with the procedure I have been advising Kelly to do with her wigglers, I have been ignoring my eggs/wigglers while I was busy working and traveling. Today, like clockwork, was day #7 and the wigglers from the Marble pair became swimmers. (When I got home last night, they were still wigglers only.) This is the highest output of hatched eggs from the pair so far so the rainwater may have been the answer. Only future spawns will tell me if I am right. Thankfully, I had a fresh batch of brine shrimp I started when I got home yesterday so the fry had some good food to feed on this a.m. Tomorrow's tasks, tank cleaning and getting all these babies out of their jars and into tanks. :blink: ( I think I'm gonna need a bigger ship :ROFLMAO: )

havent been on here for a while so i thought id post an update... my new gold male's fins are growing back nicely, and he had started to pair with Cass, my first ever angel, so i moved them into their own tank, but because i was busy at my sister in laws which wasnt planned the ammo spiked and i lost Cass. the tank is now cycling empty, and he is back with the rest of the crew. the 2 marbles i got with him, both i think are females, were doing alot of lip locking so i seperated them also, but into an established tank, and will prob put him with one of them once he has fully recovered from the ammo. my other pair spawned about a week ago so i havea ton of fry, and left them with 20-30 to try and parent raise and they are doing good so far! i also went through and pulled any fry i wanted to keep from the most successful spawn so far and have about 10 future breeders, including one of the babies from their first sucessful spawn, a veil silver. hope everyone else is doing great and had a good holiday!

How do you know when angels reach sexual maturity? I got mine from my lps and not sure how old they are. I am also wondering how you can tell when they pair off? Any specific surfaces they like to lay their eggs? Thanks for the help good luck everyone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1388776045664.jpg
    1388776045664.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 1388776064519.jpg
    1388776064519.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 45
  • 1388776083530.jpg
    1388776083530.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 1388776097522.jpg
    1388776097522.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 50
How do you know when angels reach sexual maturity? I got mine from my lps and not sure how old they are. I am also wondering how you can tell when they pair off? Any specific surfaces they like to lay their eggs? Thanks for the help good luck everyone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

When Angels pair off, you will usually see 2 of them off to one side of a tank with 1, usually the larger one, which will be the male, fending off the other fish from making advances towards "HIS" mate. It may be subtle at first but at some point, you should see 2 fish in one side and the rest on the other side of the tank.
As for surfaces, Angels tend to prefer smooth surfaces that are slightly angled. Most commonly used is a piece of gray slate resting against the side of the tank. Other choices include: PVC Pipe, Clay Pots ( for plants) and large leaved sword plants (live or plastic). Other, less desirable sites used, include filter stems, UG filter uplifts, Tank heaters, Tank walls, drift wood or other ornaments in the tank.
Once you have determined a pair, they will usually pick a spawning site and defend it from the other fish as well. Once you have determined a definite pair, it would be wise to set them up in their own tank by themselves. Even if you don't want to breed them, they should be separated as they will cause havoc in the main tank and potentially kill off the other fish.
As for size when pairing, it's a bit of a crap shoot these days. Usually the fish need to be at least 8 months old at which point they should have a body about the size of an American half dollar - silver dollar size. The larger they are the better when it comes to breeding. larger fish make larger eggs which turn into larger fry that are easier to raise.

Read through this thread and I think you'll find that most of your questions will probably already have been discussed. feel free to ask any that haven't (y)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom