Wigglers At Last!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bit the bullet today. $1 per gallon sale was too much to resist. I came home with 2-10 gals and another 20 long. I realistically don't have room for the second 10 gal so I'm replacing the 15 gal with the old babies and putting the 20 in it's place, moving those babies to a 30, taking the pairs and moving them into the 2-10s, moving the big spawn into the new 20 and moving the inside spawns to outdoor tanks all after we get through this new cold snap on Wed-Thurs. :banghead::banghead::facepalm::facepalm::banghead::banghead::facepalm::facepalm: I won;t even get in to which pair was "showing Tube" and I don;t have room in a large bottle or room on the bottle table. lol :ROFLMAO: I'm thinking another 6 weeks before I have fish to sell. (y)

Well my first spawn i pulled is now 5 weeks today free swimming. They are starting to show bars and blue color. I would say they are pea size. my blues are on the normal 10-14 day schedule of laying and their newest batch is now wigglers in the parent tank and im still half tempted to pull wigglers and raise them. Maybe next spawn ill let them be raised by the parents.

You have some nice fish. I have a growout tank with about 15 medium to pre breeder size. Im waiting for pairs to form and set 20g tanks up for them

I figure I have a few months to go until I get a pair out of my group. Which thats fine since It will give me time to set up and cycle my 55 grow out tank. I also need to get over to Petco and buy a 10 before the sale ends on the 25th.

I feel like I'm pretty well prepared, spent about 6 months researching things before I took the plunge. Incredibly glad I found you guys here.

Now it's a waiting process. I'm looking towards the future and curious as to if it's possible to get pearl scale genetics into the sunset blushing, they would be really pretty with that.

I have 3 pairs in a 55g corner and its exciting the biggest pair has the back peice and the other tro each have a front corner. I havent been pulling any eggs from them because i havent had time to devote to them because they are at my fiancees house which is 30 minutes from mine. They were my learning pairs. Andy gave me all the advice and u had alot of failure before i finally figured it out. i would get more then just one ten but like you said you have plenty of time. My blue pair started laying in august as a new pair and now they are veterans at it. I have them in a 20g by themselves and its planted. I want them to raise babies but dont want the babies to die because of the floramax substrate.

I have 3 pairs in a 55g corner and its exciting the biggest pair has the back peice and the other tro each have a front corner. I havent been pulling any eggs from them because i havent had time to devote to them because they are at my fiancees house which is 30 minutes from mine. They were my learning pairs. Andy gave me all the advice and u had alot of failure before i finally figured it out. i would get more then just one ten but like you said you have plenty of time. My blue pair started laying in august as a new pair and now they are veterans at it. I have them in a 20g by themselves and its planted. I want them to raise babies but dont want the babies to die because of the floramax substrate.

HOw many fish could the grow out tank (55G) handle? I was thinking mayb 100 to dime or nickel size? I've got two LFS's wanting them and figure I could aquabid//craigslist others. I'm mainly concerned with very healthy fish. This will be a quality over quantity thing and I'm prepared to cull hard to maintain good standards.

I'm also already considering an out door fish house, LOL I know but I need storage for my automotive tools and figure I could do half and half (these are way down the road future plans).

All of this is more for my enjoyment than profit. I have PTSD and have needed a good hobby for some time.

HOw many fish could the grow out tank (55G) handle? I was thinking mayb 100 to dime or nickel size? I've got two LFS's wanting them and figure I could aquabid//craigslist others. I'm mainly concerned with very healthy fish. This will be a quality over quantity thing and I'm prepared to cull hard to maintain good standards.

I'm also already considering an out door fish house, LOL I know but I need storage for my automotive tools and figure I could do half and half (these are way down the road future plans).

All of this is more for my enjoyment than profit. I have PTSD and have needed a good hobby for some time.

This is a great type of hobby :fish2:!

The fry from the new first time spawning male Silver Veil have started free swimming today and the eggs from the new Zebra veil x Gold pair hatched last night. Things are looking up for having some variety to offer in the future :D

Well I went outside to wake up the fish and saw that Scairdy Koi had succumbed too what I suppose was the same malady that the male Koi died from. It happened quickly and I'm not sure what the problem was but this is the second fish from this community tank to come down with it while in the meantime, 2 breeding pairs of fish were created. Could it be a coincidence? Both fish seemed to come down with this problem when a pair was preparing to spawn. Maybe it was the after effects of a push or shove that screwed their insides up? I don;t know. All I do know is that I had 3 Koi Angels and now I am down to 1. I think I'm going to stop bringing in more fish until I get the fishhouse built and these fish moved to a bigger area. :(

Had a friend with a chop saw come over today and help me build the stand for my 55. Turned out pretty darn good for a couple of amateurs.

rzftHrI.jpg

2 (y)(y) on the stand. Does your friend want to come to FL and build a much bigger version of that? :brows::whistle::lol:

Thanks Andy, It's a shame you don't live just a tad closer. I have family in Jacksonville and go that way few times a year.

I put a little gravel, heater and box filter in the tank and have it full of water now, time to start the cycle.

Also quick question. Any of you guys use prime? I had a bad experience with Amquel some years back. (it depleted oxygen and killed a few fish) and was wondering if prime did the same thin with O2. I prefer to cycle without chemical help but was just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom