Will different varieties of cory catfish school together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kpaisley

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Yesterday I purchased 3 pygmy cory cats from the lfs. (I know that 6 is the minimum preferred number to have...the store only had 3, and I had been to every store within a 30 mile radius with these being the only 3...I intend to add more when I can find them available)

When I got them home I noticed that the markings on one of the fish is quite different from the other 2, and think he may be a different variety of cory catfish. Since I am having a hard time finding them in general, and am not sure that the 3 I have are all the same, I am just questioning if I end up with 6 cory cats and they are not all the same variety if they are still happy as a school, or if they need to all be the same.

In the absence of their own species they absolutely will in most cases. In the prescience of an adequate number of their own, they will prefer it over the others.

I have 6 corys 2 different species (3 each). They often school together, its pretty cool to watch. The do however separate to their own species from time to time. I think your ok having the different species I would just try to get about 3 of each.

I have 3 pandas and 3 Julii. Recently I introduced two very small pandas and one of the Julii has taken to hanging out with the new pandas. Often all 8 feed and shoal together. I wouldn't have a lone Cory with a shoal of others but they do all seem to get on well.

Back
Top Bottom