Wondering about copperbanded

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Swimzebras

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a newish 45 gallon tank, and I know that they are difficult to feed, but in the future, could I keep a copperbanded butterfly in my tank if I kept it relatively understocked and healthy? If not could I keep one in it for a limited amount of time, and for how long?

Yes you can keep one if you can get it to start eating. Getting them to start eating is the hardest part.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

Well, the normal minimum is 50 gallons, and it grows out fully to be 8 inches, so i would think hard about how much space the fish will need once he's even 6 or 7 inches. Also, as BeanPets stated, they are very difficult to feed. Extremely shy, and you may need to try different foods to see which one it will eat.

Also, this is a very peaceful fish, so if you have any tankmates that my pick on him or stress him out, such as aggressive fish like damsels, then i do not think this fish should be placed in your tank. They also have been known to pick at coral, small invertebrates, and anemones. So just make sure you know the risks of owning one of these if you have any of the livestock i just mentioned.

The grick to get Copperbands to eat prepared foods is to start by feeding them live black or bloodworms and then switch them over to frozen ones. After they are eating frozen worms for a bit they will start eating other frozen foods.
I also have to agree with the others that your tank is on the small side for one.

Ok, so it is a possibility, but I should be careful?

i've tried the live food method and was unsuccessful. it's not as easy as 123. if you don't mind watching a fish starve to death before your eyes, you might want to pass on the CBB.

I too want to keep a CBB. my plan is to train him to eat while in QT and if he doesn't take quickly enough, to supplement with Aiptasia. My LFS has tons of LR with Aiptasia lol. I can add some garlic to it and let him eat it. But I too want to try.

Definitely QT it so you can monitor and it can learn in peace.

PrettyFishies said:
I too want to keep a CBB. my plan is to train him to eat while in QT and if he doesn't take quickly enough, to supplement with Aiptasia. My LFS has tons of LR with Aiptasia lol. I can add some garlic to it and let him eat it. But I too want to try.

Definitely QT it so you can monitor and it can learn in peace.

Not all CBB will eat Aiptasia. In my experience it is more common that they don't eat it vs they do

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium

what the CBB i kept ate was pods. he constantly picked at the rock and i'm sure he may have eaten some tiny aptasia, but there certainly wasn't enough to sustain him for the 4 months i made him suffer. i really hate that about this hobby. some times i feel like i should never again purchase a fish that wasn't hatched in a tank. it's heart breaking.

I agree completely and (at the moment) all three of my fish are tank bred. Unfortunately, I don't think that i can keep it this way.....

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom