Would a male Betta........

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hb3133

Aquarium Advice Activist
Would a single male Betta be compatible with other community fish?
I currently have a 20 gallon FW tank with 4 Harlequin Rasbora, 5 Black neon Tetras and 2 Bronze Corydoras. Do you think I should just stop with what I currently have?

Would a sinle male betta.....

Would a single male Betta be compatible with other community fish?
I currently have a 20 gallon FW tank with 4 Harlequin Rasbora, 5 Black neon Tetras and 2 Bronze Corydoras. If anyone has other suggestions for a centerpiece fish, pleae, fire away!

If your maintenence is good and the tank is healthy I think you'll have the space for it. Depends on the betta's personality and if your current fish like fins, and I think they don't. Give your corries another buddy to mess with, too. :)

If this was my tank, I would get two more corys and then stop.

Male bettas can be community fish, but it is dependent on each individual betta. I have seen a group of neon tetras gang up on and nip a betta, since the betta's fins are colorful and also, bettas are slow-moving. Some male bettas are more aggressive than others and attack their tankmates. For instance, a guppy would most likely be attacked by the betta because the betta sees the long, colorful fins of the guppy and thinks it's another male betta. If any of your fish are particularly colorful, the betta will probably attack.

IMO, I would not put a betta in this tank. But if you want to try, then you need another tank for the betta if you need to remove him quickly from the community tank, due to his fins getting nipped or due to his aggression on the other fish.

i'm experiencing deja-vu. isn't this posted elsewhere?

i'd say no.... and go with dwarf gouramis or honey gouramis. and get more cories. they need more friends.

A betta can do very well with other community fish. Order of introduction is key. Lesser aggressive fish in first. What you have listed should be ok. Just watch the black neons if they nip at him :)

Bettas are a type of gourami and have the same semi aggressive disposition gouramis have. If introduced after the peaceable fish, chances of him getting along are far better than if these fish are introduced after him. IMO, bettas are often the ones being picked on instead of doing the picking in a community tank.

IMO, bettas are often the ones being picked on instead of doing the picking in a community tank.

I've experienced this quite a couple of times.

I currently have a 20 gallon FW tank with 4 Harlequin Rasbora, 5 Black neon Tetras and 2 Bronze Corydoras.

A betta will do good with these fish. And I suggest you add another cory or two.

Then again, I don't want to cause any disturbance in the tank. The community is very peaceful and seems content. Maybe a third bronze cory would be better in the long run.

I added a betta to a community tank before and he got along just fine with the other fish, the problem I experienced was the current in the tank - bettas don't do well if there is a strong current.

Back
Top Bottom