Yellow Labs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KryptiCouple

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone, question... We have a 65 gallon and have, along with the rest of our fish, a yellow lab. He seems to hang out around 1 specific piece of drift wood, so we were just wondering what the likelihood would be of adding a second? Or would a female possibly be a good option to add? How do you tell the sex of cichlids, anyway? If it's a no-go either way, we won't do it, but if it's a valid option, we would love to add another to our tank.

It depends on what you have. Malawi Cichlids should be kept with their own kind. If you have a male and add a female it may be to much stress and kill the others. Assuming you have a different type of fish. What's the stock?

My stock is listed in my signature. Although we are down to 3 neons due to ich or neon tetra disease, not sure which. We obviously wouldn't be adding anything until we get the ich taken care of. The one we have seems pretty laid back. He will eat with the angels and doesn't bother the other fish. He's not stressed at all, comes out to explore the tank. It just seems like he has picked the piece of drift wood as "his".

KryptiCouple said:
My stock is listed in my signature. Although we are down to 3 neons due to ich or neon tetra disease, not sure which. We obviously wouldn't be adding anything until we get the ich taken care of. The one we have seems pretty laid back. He will eat with the angels and doesn't bother the other fish. He's not stressed at all, comes out to explore the tank. It just seems like he has picked the piece of drift wood as "his".

He really shouldn't be in with those fish. You may get away with it but he may kill everyone and everything aswell. I would recommend not to add another, if you do they will all be dead imo. Personally I would take him back to the lfs that's taking a big chance on it killing all. He has claimed that driftwood as his own and if someone dares to try and take it they will be ate or killed. Ya they are that bad imo

He really shouldn't be in with those fish. You may get away with it but he may kill everyone and everything aswell. I would recommend not to add another, if you do they will all be dead imo. Personally I would take him back to the lfs that's taking a big chance on it killing all. He has claimed that driftwood as his own and if someone dares to try and take it they will be ate or killed. Ya they are that bad imo

Really? Everything we looked at said they would do good in a community tank because they aren't as aggressive as other Cichlids and are calmer and more shy :(

They are on the more mellow side but still not for a community tank IMO. ALL cichlids are aggressive. It may be OK for now but when they mature it most likely won't. I'd stick with just community fish or a cichlid tank but don't mix. There are very few fish that go with cichlids and even then it's a hit or miss. Sorry for the bad news. I agree with Andrew...

What's minimum size for a Yellow Lab? Looks like my fiance will get his all-cichlid tank sooner than expected. Haha

I'd say a 55. You can have quite a few in there. The bigger the better. Be sure to stick to the same lake and do lots of research on the fish before you get them when the time comes. Labs are mbuna from lake Malawi so when you get more be sure their from the same lake. :)

Malawi tanks are gorgeous. The fish have so much personality.

Sounds good. Thanks. Looks like we'll be browsing CL for a good deal, or headed out to a LFS that has tanks on sale $1/gallon til the end of Sept...

KryptiCouple said:
What's minimum size for a Yellow Lab? Looks like my fiance will get his all-cichlid tank sooner than expected. Haha

Maybe your fiancée did that on purpose lol. Sounds like something I'd do. Oops! Now we need to get another tank for the ONE fish, but we can get more! Lol! :)

Maybe your fiancée did that on purpose lol. Sounds like something I'd do. Oops! Now we need to get another tank for the ONE fish, but we can get more! Lol! :)

Haha if he had picked the fish out on his own, I'd believe that, but I helped with the apparently faulty research.

FishyBusiness said:

Lol :) lol :). Thats funny I would do that

KryptiCouple said:
Haha if he had picked the fish out on his own, I'd believe that, but I helped with the apparently faulty research.

Not your fault its the stores fault. I've seen them say for community and I've seen some say keep with own kind. The place I go the most they have stickers on the their tanks saying warning only stock with other Malawi cichlids. Lol

Lol. It happens. If you go with a Malawi tank it will be gorgeous. If you can afford it go for it, you'll love it. My husband wasn't sure about cichlids because he likes gouramis but they are by far his favorite fish :)

He's wanted a Cichlid tank since we started getting into aquariums because of the colors, since we don't have the time or resources right now for a saltwater tank. However, we started out with a 20gal which isn't big enough for cichlids, so we started with tetras and guppies, and when the 65 became available, moved our 20gal into it instead of doing cichlids in it. So he's been jonesing for the cichlids. No worry about him not liking them haha.

FishyBusiness said:
Lol. It happens. If you go with a Malawi tank it will be gorgeous. If you can afford it go for it, you'll love it. My husband wasn't sure about cichlids because he likes gouramis but they are by far his favorite fish :)

Plus you can stock a ton of them like this

ForumRunner_20120828_215221.jpg

Back
Top Bottom