Ziggy's 40b Planted Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So I need some opinions.

I am considering removing the rock on the right side of the tank and replacing it with a bonsai tree. Moss covered - I really love the look.

Thoughts?

Go for it Ziggy...its all about what you like,worst case scenario is that you don't like it & you pull it out...
Do you have a piece on hand?

sit in silence...

Go for it Ziggy...its all about what you like,worst case scenario is that you don't like it & you pull it out...
Do you have a piece on hand?

sit in silence...

No I don't but I have been looking at some to order. I think it would add an interesting element to the tank. I might just do it and see what happens.

I've never been a moss tree fan but I think it could look really good on that side of the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So here are a couple of pics from today, reworking the lighting.

This is the underside of the light on the 40g tank. There are 42 LEDs here. 21 white and 21 blue. This was originally designed for my reef tank.
kReTM80.jpg

Here you can see that I have set out some of the new LEDs. I decided rather than remove the old LED's I would just rewire the new ones in the circut and remove the old ones from the power source. These were attached to the heatsink using arctic weld, removing them could damage the diodes so it is easier to just leave them in place.
pEHX6Mo.jpg

Here two of the new whites are soldered in place. I ended up replacing 9 blues with whites. I want to see how things go for a couple of days before I commit to replacing 5 more.
SJSaTjo.jpg

So here are a couple of pics from today, reworking the lighting.

This is the underside of the light on the 40g tank. There are 42 LEDs here. 21 white and 21 blue. This was originally designed for my reef tank.
kReTM80.jpg

Here you can see that I have set out some of the new LEDs. I decided rather than remove the old LED's I would just rewire the new ones in the circut and remove the old ones from the power source. These were attached to the heatsink using arctic weld, removing them could damage the diodes so it is easier to just leave them in place.
pEHX6Mo.jpg

Here two of the new whites are soldered in place. I ended up replacing 9 blues with whites. I want to see how things go for a couple of days before I commit to replacing 5 more.
SJSaTjo.jpg

Dig me some diy! Nice Ziggy

sit in silence...

Do you plan on replacing some of the blues?

sit in silence...

I did replace 9 of the blues with whites. There were 21 blues on the tank now there are only 12. There are three drivers running the leds. 2 of them are controlled by the RKE (computer) and 1 of them has a stand alone controller. The stand alone controller is powered on after the other two ramp up for about 40 minutes. I have 5 more white LEDs that I can replace with blues. I haven't decided just yet. The pics above were taken when the whites were ramping down for the night they were at maybe 70% at the time of the pics.

I did replace 9 of the blues with whites. There were 21 blues on the tank now there are only 12. There are three drivers running the leds. 2 of them are controlled by the RKE (computer) and 1 of them has a stand alone controller. The stand alone controller is powered on after the other two ramp up for about 40 minutes. I have 5 more white LEDs that I can replace with blues. I haven't decided just yet. The pics above were taken when the whites were ramping down for the night they were at maybe 70% at the time of the pics.

Explains why the blues looked so prevalent...great top shots!

sit in silence...

This tank looks great! Definitely a competitor with TT's.......lol

Love how the driftwood peeks out between those rocks.

This tank looks great! Definitely a competitor with TT's.......lol

Love how the driftwood peeks out between those rocks.

It does look good but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.. many many miles ahead to reach TT status.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Very nicely growing in!!
Interested to see how it takes off with the lights now.

Tank looks awesome,I really like the hard scape.
The plantings just add to it.
Nice!

It does look good but let's not get ahead of ourselves here.. many many miles ahead to reach TT status.

Hahaha..?
I defer to others and don't claim no status...
@Ziggy,this tank will be full of lush growth in no time...
Great work on the leds bruh...
sit in silence...

Hmm...I might have to take that challenge ;-) Just kidding.

This isn't my first time at the rodeo. I'm much more experienced in SW than FW but I'm giving it the ole' college try.

Very nicely growing in!!
Interested to see how it takes off with the lights now.

Tank looks awesome,I really like the hard scape.
The plantings just add to it.
Nice!

The plants were added a week ago. Well the final plants were added a week ago. Most of them have been in no more than 10 days.

I'm very happy with the way the hard scape turned out, I'm not completely satisfied with the right side of the tank and am considering changing that but haven't decided yet.

Thanks!!!

Hahaha..?
I defer to others and don't claim no status...
@Ziggy,this tank will be full of lush growth in no time...
Great work on the leds bruh...
sit in silence...

Haha! I didn't know it was a challenge between us ;)

Thanks! Modifying this light was easy just required new LEDs. The PITA was building it to begin with. That maze of wiring was fun to trace. If I was really nuts I would completely redesign the light for this tank but I'm just not that crazy.

Haha! I didn't know it was a challenge between us ;)

Thanks! Modifying this light was easy just required new LEDs. The PITA was building it to begin with. That maze of wiring was fun to trace. If I was really nuts I would completely redesign the light for this tank but I'm just not that crazy.

I appreciate any & all hobbyist!
The cumulative knowledge of the whole equals the sum...if it weren't for a lot of these fine people I'd still be growing algae exclusively...many thanks to all!

sit in silence...

I appreciate any & all hobbyist!
The cumulative knowledge of the whole equals the sum...if it weren't for a lot of these fine people I'd still be growing algae exclusively...many thanks to all!

sit in silence...

Well said my friend! I don't think I could have said it better!

Back
Top Bottom