Ziggy's 40b Planted Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Ziggy! Haven't been on AA in quite a while, but just moved into a new place and will be starting up a tank or two soon. I've always loved following your builds, keep it up man, it's looking great! :D

Well it is confirmed! I am going to be the proud papa of baby shrimp very soon. At least one of the large females is loaded!

Very exciting and happened very quickly.

Well it is confirmed! I am going to be the proud papa of baby shrimp very soon. At least one of the large females is loaded!

Very exciting and happened very quickly.

Cool,baby shrimpy's on the horizon...

sit in silence...

I see babies!

Updates -

The tank is having a couple of issues. Algae is becoming a problem. I am working on the balance of CO2, Light and Ferts. It's getting there but the algae is irritating me. I put one of my MP10s on the tank to move more water. My canister filter just doesn't keep the water circulated as well as I would like it. The MP10 is doing a fine job (slowest setting 200gph). I've been doing water changes every few days to keep up with the algae and the leaching from the wood. I know it is counter productive with the ferts and CO2 but I can't stand looking at this mess. (what I consider a mess anyway) I've been manually removing as much algae as I can without disturbing the plants. Its probably not as bad as I'm making it sound.

Anyway - FW journey in progress and evolving.

What type algae zig?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The GSA can usually be remedied by increasing phosphates, any idea where you're at in that regard?

The GSA can usually be remedied by increasing phosphates, any idea where you're at in that regard?

No. I ordered a new Phosphate test kit. My old one is not complete so is pretty much useless.

I did some reading on GSA and based on my formula for ferts I was under on the PO4 to begin with so I remixed that solution to the correct levels. Again with all the water changes I have been doing I'm sure I'm not really helping the GSA battle. I'm more concerned with the other algae right now as it is one of those things that will take over very rapidly. Low levels of CO2 are the largest culprit for that crap. Drop Checker shows I am pretty well spot on for CO2 PH is hovering around 6.8-7.0.

I love a challenge! :-/

I appreciate any & all hobbyist!
The cumulative knowledge of the whole equals the sum...if it weren't for a lot of these fine people I'd still be growing algae exclusively...many thanks to all!

sit in silence...

+1.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Filter media alert!

What are you all using in your filters? Canister or HOB or W/D? I'm just curious as I am looking for the most optimal media for my canister.

I've read a lot a stuff about filter/media for a planted tank, like most anything there are a million different opinions.

I have an AC50 HOB and I use the provided sponge, a layer of filter fluff, and some bagged and loose* ceramic media.
* these are the noodle type and kept together using a length of fishing line.

Filter media alert!

What are you all using in your filters? Canister or HOB or W/D? I'm just curious as I am looking for the most optimal media for my canister.

I've read a lot a stuff about filter/media for a planted tank, like most anything there are a million different opinions.

Filter floss along with provided pads & seachem matrix for bio...no carbon

sit in silence...

Sounds like I am on the right track with this tank for the filter. I have a large coarse sponge, filter pads (provided) and floss. I ordered some of the ceramic noodle looking guys. I am using the same in my 54g planted tank minus the ceramic noodles.

Thanks for the replies!

Today things look pretty good (water change yesterday). I'm going to hold off on water changes for a few days and see how things go. I have a phosphate test kit on the way. I'm pretty sure they are very low. Co2 is tweaked in and the plants are pearling like crazy. The added flow from the MP10 has made a huge difference in getting things circulated around the tank. I'm just about 2 bubbles per second and my drop checker shows green almost yellow. I'm kind of blasting the CO2 right now to combat the algae. The fish and shrimp look great and seem happy so I'm not over gassing them...I think.

Tank looks great and sounds like you got it going on.

Tank looks great and sounds like you got it going on.

Thanks Dale. I am having a battle right now with algae.

I woke up this morning after having read a thread on another site (194 posts all last night) and had an epiphany. I'm not dosing correctly!!! After reading again the PPS Pro method I am way the h_ll off on what I'm doing.

With having blasted my tank with light and totally out of balance nutrients it's no wonder I have algae.

Time to get that mess in check!

When you get it figured out tell me too. I'm currently dipping my plants in bleach water to clean up stag horn. So I'm with ya. Good luck!

When you get it figured out tell me too. I'm currently dipping my plants in bleach water to clean up stag horn. So I'm with ya. Good luck!

Well the short answer of what I am doing is my initial calculation was wrong.

(who wants just a short answer?...
I dose PPS Pro via an automated system. I have two 2.8L containers that my solutions are mixed in. One for Micros and one for Macros. I have aqualifters on each and they are managed by my RKE (on for 1 minute 20 seconds before lights on) I set the solutions at 100Ml dosing per day which sounds like a lot to those of you using PPS Pro manually, my solutions are modified based on the amount of liquid I dose. In other words my soultions are diluted 100x compared to someone dosing 1ml per day of each. The problem is I calculated this based on each pump pushing 100ml of each solution, WRONG!!!!! I'm only getting +/-50 mls of each so Im considerally watered down for my tank based on the solutions I mixed up.

The long and short of this is I have a large plant mass with medium-high light (LEDs are throttled back a good bit) and I have 20-25ppm CO2. I expect that some of my algae issue is I'm not dosing enough for my plant mass allowing the algae even more opportunity to take hold in the tank.

I've read a lot, and I do mean a LOT about algae, what causes it, how to get rid of it and as you probably have guessed everyone contradicts everyone else. I have to make some assumptions about my tank.

1. I have strong light
2. I have adequate CO2 levels
3. I have low nutrient levels
3. I have good flow in the tank
4. I have a decent/large plant mass

With all that being said I'm missing some of the balance that is needed for optimal plant growth and health. That is evident...tank looks eh..

So to remedy this mess I have created -

1. Another large water change
2. Toss out the current solutions and recalculate
3. Clean my aqualifters (any suggestions on a good method here?)
4. Manually remove more algae as best I can (BSA? how can you remove from plants? Can you?)
5. Set everything back up and cross my fingers?
6. Buy more bourbon and eggnog.

That last part is just because.

Question - RODI vs TAP or a combination of the two? I have done some reading on RODI with a nutrient recharge. Thoughts? Comments? I have an awesome RODI system. I am so used to using RODI because of marine systems.

If you read all of that I will be impressed. This was a mind dump, I took the day off (gotta burn up all this vacation time I have left before the end of the year) now I'm charged for a tank maintenance day and a trip to the LFS.

Ok - True to form I started diagnosing my tank issues, where did I start you ask? I held a 6" piece of neon green yarn over the tank, it moved left. Left = GH/KH out of whack. Oh wait, I used those API things.

Anyway, I tested the KH of my water. 2 drops bingo color changed. Hmm...a little on the low side. Ok lets test GH. 1 drop, 2 drops, 3 drops.....65 drops NOTHING HAPPENED. I of course panicked thinking my fish/shrimp/plants are sitting in a soup of who knows what. I tested again. 65 more drops and nothing. WTF? Ok test the tank that is doing fine and has been up for over 5 years. Same thing. I know! Test RODI and see what happens. KH - 2 drops color change. GH - 65 drops nothing. I got me a broken GH reagent. Off to google I go, armed with a test kit, manufacturer and a LOT number. AHA! made in June of 2007. :-/

So before I start going really crazy and doing something that may or may not be needed I have to go to the LFS STAT!

PH - 6.9ish
NitrAte - 20ppmish
NitrIte - 0
Ammonia - 0

Phosphate ??????? Gotta wait for the kit I ordered to arrive. Hopefully today.

I know my RODI TDS is less than 1 - according to my meter it is barely reading anything. I monitored that regularly in my reefer days. I have a quality RODI setup and have changed the prefilters out recently. I know that water is about as pure as it's gonna get.

UGH....more crap to buy and none of it is the fun stuff.

Off to the LFS I go...

Back
Top Bottom