210g discus build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just finished drip acclimating the discus and introduced them to the 210. What a sight. The angels were curious at first, but the discus showed them who's the boss.

Yes, been looking for some taller dw. There's 40 - 50 tetras; cardinals, neons and glow lights. The tetras were the first added to the tank, 2 days before the angels, and they've been in the bottom 2/3 since day 1. Don't think the angels are scaring them. The angels and tetras were cohabitants of a 55g for around 6 months before transferring to the 210. Although the tetras didn't school around the top of the 55, they did swim the full height. In the 210 they rarely get into the upper 1/3, couldn't even entice them with food they'd wait for it to sink.

yes they did, I was kinda shocked that the discus stood up to and made the proven angel pair back down from a stand off. One koi female tried to persuade the discus into submission but that didnt work out right for her, they swam right past the girl lol

LOL, I am beginning to think wood is made from gold too! :D
Where are the pics of the discus in the tank? All I saw were angels....

havnt taken them yet, got em in the tank, then put some dead cow on the bbq grill, then went out and bought a pot of giant hairgrass and 3 rams, 1 bolivian and two(sexed) german blues, however my electric blue ram isnt taking to kindly to them OR the chain of command is being established.

patience is a virtue, calm down they will come tomorrow, I dont want to go flipping on 640w of light to take a pic 4 hours after lights out. Ill get em on here tomorrow I promise. Ill PM you the first pic, hows that?

LOL, I can wait. I am at work with the fast internet, so the pics load better which is why I am so impatient. I won't roll out of bed until about 1530 my time tomorrow so no rush!

1530 is 1730 here so yeah for sure by the time you go back to work they will be up.

PM me your cell number and I can send pics from my phone I think there are a couple in there of the discus.

nope none in there now but by the time you get off work I could send one, lights go on at 0800 my time so 0600 yours.

My cell doesn't work here at work, and it's my Friday, so if you post them on here, I will see them when I get up tomorrow!

Hey wait a minute, i dont wanna wait for dk to roll outta bed before we get to see pics!!!! I really wanna see the rams, theyre my fav!!!

I didnt take pics of the rams, that wont happen for a few weeks at max, I gotta relocate their tank and aint gonna clean it before I do. Ill get pics.

They did calm down though since last night, the EB was pushing the GBR's and the bolivian around but this morning its not like that.

I took the pic and just gotta upload it.

Fine here ya go
2r5865v.jpg

10ofbtd.jpg

and wouldnt ya know it, 4 frigging days and this happens.
2qtic1s.jpg

Yep, oh and for the record. these neons aint skurred of nuffin..observe...
rsbec6.jpg

65v8ee.jpg

pics blurry but thats the dominant female angel giving chase to about 60 of them neons/cardinals, the angels just give a sprint chase and thats it they back off they just are territorial aggressive.

They all met eachother yesterday the discus and angels/tetras and they worked things out in a matter of minutes. I had them hand fed and today the old man fed them at lunch time and EVERYONE ate out of his hand. so all in all its going quite well in the 210.
Inches away from the yummy caviar yet cant seem to get close enough.

They remind me of piranhas the way they try and get these eggs.

Whats the substrate? Do you order it online or buy at a store, because i cant find any plant substrate for the life of me.

Whats the substrate? Do you order it online or buy at a store, because i cant find any plant substrate for the life of me.

As Jr pointed out, we used aquariumplants.com substrate (Black Diamond). 4 x 5g buckets provided a contoured bottom with a minimum depth of 3" to a maximum of 6". It comes in two other colors, Natural Amazon and Red River.

Each 5g bucket covers 12 sqft @ 3" depth for $65 and free shipping. For comparison, we used eco-complete in the 45g tall tank 5 x 20# bags @ $20 each + shipping, which provided a 3" - 4" depth. It would take 6 bags of eco-complete to cover the same area as a 5g bucket of this stuff.

According to aquariumplants.com, it's the same substrate used in their plant growing end of the business. Grain sizes range from 1.2 - 2.8mm. They also claim it doesn't cloud the water, found that to be untrue. The gravel was washed by placing a hose in the bucket and letting the dust rise to and over the top. I strongly recommend a strainer of some sort (colander?) be used to wash it. We have moved a piece or two of the driftwood and it kicks up a cloud each time.

We also are going to use their fertilizer pellets for the rooted plants and liquid concentrate for the tied off/floating plants.

Back
Top Bottom