Are you addicted to fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You know.. I have to point out that I'm soo addicted to fish that I spend an obscene amount of time on a website talking about fish in addition to the time I spend taking care of all of my tanks....
Very true! Furthermore spending way too
much time at work on the AA app.

Here's my two main tanks:

315955DSC04571.jpg

809683DSC04574.jpg

That's only a 20 gallon. It's not so much complicated, it require patience and money. (AND A LOT OF READINGS)

24"x12"x16" topless tank (20g)
R420R light (look on their website, thoses lights are awesome but pricey)
20 pounds live sand
20 pounds live rock (havent to wait 6 weeks for cycle, they were already cycled by the LFS)

You need 1 powerhead (BBs are in the rock in the middle instead in the filter as in FW tanks)

Optionally you can put a HOB protein skimmer. I don't have sump.

I've put a 90 gallons rated protein skimmer on my 20 gallons, it work very well !

The complicated part is when it come to put some corals or anemones. Doing water changes is complicated too, I need to make RODI water everytime. There's a lot of evaporation too, so I fill some spair bottles for this case.

Cost around 1000$ without fishs for my 20g. But that's hightech tank, like my 29g FW on the picture. My 29 gallon cost 1500$ including fishs.

The 2 clowhfishs cost 28$ each, and they disease clean (I know the guy at the LFS, he's a pro and don't sell ill fishs)

It's certainly not cheap to have a good quality setup. Someday I may do salt but for now I like freshwater lol much more simple

The key for an awesome FW tank is the balance of light/CO2/and other nutrients (nitrogen, phosphorous, potassium, trace elements and iron). Put a rich and dark substrate with this and you're in business for beautifull plants !

For the SW side, I'm a noob, and I bought the biggest equipement I could to make everything easier and avoid problems.

Salt was fun but I no longer have time to maintain a salt tank (well, maybe a nano again someday). My 50 gallon was pretty low tech but I liked it a lot.
DSC_0003.JPG

Doesnt look too bad actually mama! I know where youre coming from with the maintenance. I know i shouldnt :( but i get annoyed at beginners that dive straight into a full blown reef as a first tank and in my head im screaming 'noooo'

Salt was fun but I no longer have time to maintain a salt tank (well, maybe a nano again someday). My 50 gallon was pretty low tech but I liked it a lot.

Your tank seems healty anyway, the hardest thing is to make readings and researchs with your first SW tank I think... With a second one, you should remember the basics...

But for sure it's double maintenance than FW, and exponential cost.

Doesnt look too bad actually mama! I know where youre coming from with the maintenance. I know i shouldnt :( but i get annoyed at beginners that dive straight into a full blown reef as a first tank and in my head im screaming 'noooo'

My first tank was my actual 10g QT. I've put some neons, glo danios each not the same color, 2 goldfish, and a pleco (the ones that go in a 125g+) and I had a LOT of problem, I didn't know anything about cycle, ammonia, testings, algae, lighting, plants... Lol all my plants died 2. Had a lot if ich to treat, nasty smells, cleaning filters under the tap, putting cold water (lot more colder than tank temperature)...

Everything I did was Mistake + Mistake + Mistake = Now I know how it works :D

I QT everything now (except for my SW, I would have to buy one more tank :() So I'm doing researchs on how to choose healty fishs.

Ah, one little message to any noobs and intermediate fishkeeper: Never buy a fish that is stocked in a LFS where's white spots in other tanks, except if you gonna QT and treat with salt.

Your tank seems healty anyway, the hardest thing is to make readings and researchs with your first SW tank I think... With a second one, you should remember the basics...

But for sure it's double maintenance than FW, and exponential cost.

Thanks! I no longer have the tank set up. That photo was from when the tank was a couple of years old and looking its best. We've always had multiple tanks so wanted to keep it low tech. I had kept several nanos before so it was not my first attempt. Everything was doing well until we got the fishroom going the first time and then it became too much to handle with 50-70 other tanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

I've been wishing I could get a fish room for such a long time, but I don't have enough money for all of those aquariums. So far, this is what I have.

image-2122350043.jpg

Yes. I dream about them. Herre are a few examples. Buckle up. In science i always sot next to the guppy/ tetra /danio tank. Last night i dreamt of my guppy, dead, in my hermit crab tank, but i pit him back in his tank and he was fine. I dreamt a week ago about an obstacle course at a fair to get to a skinny, two roomed fish store because it sold the tetras i wanted. 3 weeks ago i dreamt of having a dark basement with fishtanks in it, but buying them. Only the tanks were lit. (The tank setup was the same as in dream #2. So yeah. Im weird.

I'm in boston, not quite as cold, last year we lost power for days, would have wiped out my tropicall tanks, not taking any chances this year!

I remember having to leave after 2 days through a 5 day power outage (blizzard) and going to a hotel, put a 5g tank with all of the fish (only had a baby pleco and 3 Glofish danios) and gilding quickly inside, hiding them in a towel, into the hotel, ah good times XD

Wow that would suck but what a good guy to save the lives of them fish. I had a 220 gallon with large catfish and a Butterkoferi and it aping a leak when I got home was half empty had to buy a Rubbermaid tub to house them till I could rehome them. That sucked

Back
Top Bottom