Jaguar Cichlid Fry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any of these are going to give you good results, honestly. All are quality, and mainly a variety in the diet will be the best thing for your jewel.

I am experimenting right now with Spectrum New Life Cichlid formula, as well as their community formula, and I must say I am seeing very remarkable improvement in coloration. This food has gotten very good reviews on some cichlid forums. I don't think Big Al's carries it, but one of the chain pet stores near me carries it, as does my fish-only LFS. Just a thought. Also, Omega One foods are proven quality with superior ingredients.

I believe part of the reason they were reclassified is that rams are open-spawners rather than shelter-spawners as are the majority of Apistos. I'd like to see DNA sequence analysis of the genus. I have 2 rams (1 gold, 1 blue) and 2 apistos (1 cockatoo, 1 panduro) in my (mostly SA) community tank, and they all get along very well. I would like to set up a tank in which they get to show their breeding behaviour, but I have to wait another coupla years before I get my "tank room"...

TG is right: a high-quality, varied diet is the way to go.

I'm using the Spectrum food and can see a big difference with my fish. Colors just seem a bit more intense. And of course, I vary my fishs' diet by adding in some frozen stuff and lots of Omega One.

I'm feeding some fish in two tanks with the Hikari Cichlid Staple, and they really don't seem too enthusiastic about the stuff. Heck, I don't blame them. It doesn't look (or even smell) that interesting! That's no condemnation of the stuff; just a simple observation from my experience.

I use Cichlid Gold about once a week and they seem to like it. I use the mini's for my fish that are about 3.5-4" and my fish around 3" including 2 jewels that are about 2.5" can't eat them because they are too big so I use the baby pellets for them.

In all actuality though I can't use them more than about once a week because my cichlids won't eat them everyday. After about 3 days in a row they get sick of them and just let them float around. They want their flakes as the main source of their diet. I also agree that using a buch of different types of food is the best way to go for the cichlids. They do much better with bloodworms, etc. in their diet along with the flakes and pellets.

My Angel's spawned...question

2 of my Angelfish spawned today :D :D
This is the 2nd time for them.
The first time the eggs got eaten. They layed them on my filter tube so there is noway I can remove them.

How can I prevent them from being dinner for the others?
I also have a pleco in there.
I want them to hatch into babies.
{Please give me your advice!!
Thanks much

Do the parents protect the eggs? Are they fanning them? If yes to both, then that's all you can do. Sometimes the best situation is when you get a pair of parents who can raise them to free swimming, but you never know if you have a pair like that. I would try leaving the lights on all night tonight so the parents can continue to guard and fan their eggs.

Angels are great parents, but i still only had six survive to adulthood out of two dozen spawnings.

I'd probably try to put a tank divider in to keep the pleco (and other fish) away initially. I would also put a sponge over the filter intake. The babies are sensitive to water conditions, so check those and keep up the water changes (carefully!). Start up a jar of infusoria (put a lettuce leaf in a large jar of water and leave it loosely closed). Also, you should get or grow baby brine shrimp, or other fry food (I used egglayers Fry Bites)

Infusoria instructions: http://home.clara.net/xenotoca/infusoria.htm

Also, if they're spawning now, they'll spawn again. For future breeding i would set up a breeding tank for them (the other fish will appreciate it too). Have fun!

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes the parents are guarding the eggs. They did this the first time around too and something got them at night. Tonight I "will" leave the lights on for them.

I really don't have a tank divider for the pleco :( However, I could move him to the 125g cichlid tank but I'd never be able to catch it again. And, they might pick on him.

I guess I'll have to wait and see.
I'm hoping for the best!!
Wish "us" luck!! :wink:

identity of cichlid

I need to find out the identity of one of my cichlids, its a solid orange color, about the same body shape as a common walleye, and its about 3 to 3.5 inches long full grown, their is no distinguishing marks on it. does anyone have any idea of what kind of cichlid I may have. thanks

Any faint stripes? How did you acquire the fish? Was it sold as an African or a SA cichlid?

Maybe a "red" zebra - they are often a rich orange color.

it doesn't have any faint stripes or anything, and it isn't a very vibrant orange, its fairly dull. I don't remember where it's from, I bought it at the pet store about 2 years ago, and I remember it being in the cichlid section, I went back to the pet store last week to see if they had any of this same species, but they don't and they people that work there don't know what kind it is from my description.

If African, I'll put my money on a red zebra for now. If SA, it /might/ be possible a midas cichlid, but to my knowledge they get larger and tend to have a "spotchy" pattern. I don't keep any though, so I'm relying on faulty memory :p

No, prob. not. those look nothing like Walleyes. And would have been very expensive!

Back
Top Bottom