My first rimless build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very cool. Can they be sexed easily?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Very cool. Can they be sexed easily?

Absolutely, although in some strains the females have no colors while in others they look like a faded male.

Two of mine stalking a shrimp:

img_3192738_0_e3e79640da4f7ec74bb00f81f755138b.jpg

6 in as of now, the big boy is still in the old tank. I'm afraid he may beat on the new crowd?? Sexing huh?? Female here??
It's sieryu stone.
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1427511105193.jpg
    1427511105193.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Absolutely, although in some strains the females have no colors while in others they look like a faded male.

Two of mine stalking a shrimp:

img_3192836_0_e3e79640da4f7ec74bb00f81f755138b.jpg

Is that male and female? The body shape looks different on the 2. The left looks long and thin and the right looks thicker. Or is it just the angle of the picture?

Female on the right.

I think the one on the right is just getting more food. Here's an excerpt from an article on Dario dario,

" This species is very easy to sex but often only males are traded.

Females are smaller, less colourful (they do not have any red or blue pigmentation on the flanks and only indistinct bars or none at all) and possess a noticeably shorter, stumpier-looking body profile then males."

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think the one on the right is just getting more food. Here's an excerpt from an article on Dario dario,

" This species is very easy to sex but often only males are traded.

Females are smaller, less colourful (they do not have any red or blue pigmentation on the flanks and only indistinct bars or none at all) and possess a noticeably shorter, stumpier-looking body profile then males."

The fun fact about my colony is they were tank bred by this dude who neglects his tanks for months apparently. These guys were discovered during a teardown.. who woulda thunk?? Anyways.. I'm pretty sure 4 of 6 are def. Males.. they need some more good meals though..

You need to collect and culture some cyclops to keep those guys fat and happy.

Excuse me gillie, i don't think you understand the fine art of culturing scuds to feed finicky eaters. Maybe if you'd like I could teach you sometimes?
☆☆☆disclaimer☆☆☆
I am being sarcastic! I have no idea what I'm really doing but I bought a 1 gallon tote, ordered another colony and watched 3 1/2 you tube videos!

Excuse me gillie, i don't think you understand the fine art of culturing scuds to feed finicky eaters. Maybe if you'd like I could teach you sometimes?
☆☆☆disclaimer☆☆☆
I am being sarcastic! I have no idea what I'm really doing but I bought a 1 gallon tote, ordered another colony and watched 3 1/2 you tube videos!

Lol, sounds better than slipping into 30 degree pond while stretching to reach the mother lode of cyclops:confused:

Lol, sounds better than slipping into 30 degree pond while stretching to reach the mother lode of cyclops:confused:

Ha, Michigan weather :lol:

I'm only allowed to say that because a)I lived in MI for 30+ years and b)my middle daughter is at MSU so I tease her all the time about the weather!

Passs! Can you get them going inside?

But I did get about 2000 of the buggers and since I was already soaked and freezing I plucked some chunks of willow moss that was already forming submersed growth.

It probably wouldn't have been as bad if we didn't have this 20 mph "breeze".

Back
Top Bottom