Some of my fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've got to say what both of you guys are doing for the hobby and forum is great! Must reads for sure. I'm sure I'm not the only one on here that is eager to read/see pictures of new posts. It's awesome to see guys that breed and sell fish that aren't afraid to help others and are passionate about the what they do. I can't wait until I'm at the point where I'm ready to be a customer. It's really cool seeing and reading about developments with your fish/fish rooms. :thanks:

If this compliment was directed at me, thanks a bunch. I only recently began keeping fish... it has been a year and a half, but I have really delved deep in that short period. It was all thanks to Tom and another person by the name of Sam... they got me onto my feet and I was off to the races.

Keep reading... that’s my only suggestion. You will pick up obscure knowledge from African Cichlid keepers, monster fish keepers, etc... all can be applied to whatever your interests are!

Oh, and always explore your interests. I think that anyone can be successful in this hobby as long as they have a genuine passion. It is hard to find people who are interested with a very strong sense of passion, so make sure to keep those people close!

Anyways, I am headed to bed. Just kidding. Probably going to stay up all night doing physics labs... so talk to you soon!

Good morning (or night?) Tom,

I have been very busy with my last set of high risk finals... but my iniridae have spawned - yet again. I can’t seem to get the eggs from egg stage to hatch... I may have asked this before but what parameters did you receive hatches in? This is the first time I am experiencing this in any Apistogramma... I am interested to get these guys going! It is an awesome challenge [emoji6].

I have attached a really poor photograph... I overturned the cave and I didn’t want to disturb her, but there are a solid 75 or so eggs underneath the area where my thumb is pointing.

Let me know!

View attachment 306512
When they spawned for me before they were in my RO water with a TDS of 75 I believe..That is almost straight RO as my Tap is 350 and my RO is about 15-20...I just mix my tap back with the RO to get 75. They did have large spawns if I remember correctly.

Good luck as I am also seeing activity near the new cave with the 4 irinidae I have..Hoping to see eggs soon....(y)

Wow... I need to pull out the RO unit then. Mine are in tap, TDS around 200. Way too high for eggs to hatch, sounds like.

For me the Apistos in general are more needing the low TDS then even the rams..I have had many rams spawn in my tap although it was not on purpose many times..
The apistos I always have to put effort into...I have been wrestling with the hongslio who just laid eggs the other day and the bitaeniata who lay small spawns..I left last spawn with the bitaeniata but have not seen them in tank yet..
I pulled the hongslio eggs as I thought I was lucky to find them ,but not sure if they will hatch ?They were bright red like when they spawned successfully for me so I guess it is just a waiting and try again game?

For me the Apistos in general are more needing the low TDS then even the rams..I have had many rams spawn in my tap although it was not on purpose many times..
The apistos I always have to put effort into...I have been wrestling with the hongslio who just laid eggs the other day and the bitaeniata who lay small spawns..I left last spawn with the bitaeniata but have not seen them in tank yet..
I pulled the hongslio eggs as I thought I was lucky to find them ,but not sure if they will hatch ?They were bright red like when they spawned successfully for me so I guess it is just a waiting and try again game?

Over here, the tap is really accommodating. As long as the female is experienced, and there are no fry predators I will have free swimming fry. So in that regard, I don’t have difficulty as you may. But, your water is more suited for live bearing fishes that need more mineral content... mine is not sufficient so I add salt to increase the buffering capacity,

It’s a toss up, I guess. Most apistos may not hatch in your tap, or the mom may not be able to free them from the shells.

I just did a 'large' water change [50%] on the hongslio 30 gallon long. IMO it is a little overpopulated so I may be selling some pairs soon.. They sit exactly at 75 TDS right now.. It looks like the eggs are bad but I am not surprised as I go real light on the MB with the apistos.. By the time I saw a little fungus and added more MB [yesterday] I think it was too late..

If you sell Hongslio pairs I am interested if the timing works out

If you sell Hongslio pairs I am interested if the timing works out
I will save fish for you Mike .
You are one of those people [like shane or brook ] I want having my fish..(y)
I think it is important to send the quality stock to experienced keepers as form of 'safe deposit box' / stock bank...
I know many want fish others don't have but it sure is easy if you need a male or female to ask your buddy when you share strong stock.

Sweet!!!!!!! I will do everything in my power to deserve that

Hey Tom, just wanted to chime in and say how awesome your Rams are! The pair you sent me is doing awesome and look like they might be clearing out a place to spawn soon. Best looking Blue Rams I've seen for a long time.

Hey Tom, just wanted to chime in and say how awesome your Rams are! The pair you sent me is doing awesome and look like they might be clearing out a place to spawn soon. Best looking Blue Rams I've seen for a long time.
Hey Lincoln glad the rams are doing well. Thanks for the compliment , I appreciate it .
You should post some pics as I know your tanks look better then mine !(y)
I am loving the bolbitus I got from you !

Hey Lincoln glad the rams are doing well. Thanks for the compliment , I appreciate it .
You should post some pics as I know your tanks look better then mine !(y)
I am loving the bolbitus I got from you !

They really are some great fish and my experience with some a few pairs of frail rams I got from my LFS years ago kind of turned me off to them until I heard all the great things people had to say about yours! Was happy I could get my hands on a pair! :) I'm glad you're enjoying the Bolbitis! One of my all time favorite plants. Can be a bit tricky to grow, but once it finds a tank it likes it can really take over. For some reason my 55 gallon tank grows mats of the stuff. Maybe I will post a few pictures of my tanks and a few of your rams! Haven't in years really and maybe it's time to do an update. :whistle:

Hello Tom, I think iniridae eggs hatched. Super excited... here is pic of mom.
IMG_0628.jpg

Congrats on your video with Rich, going to take a final soon so haven’t been able to watch. I will watch it after 2:30 my time and see how the tour was (guessing it was phenomenal!). Talk soon,
Shane

Back
Top Bottom