Uaru updates!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am so jealous of the hardscape

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm jealous of the whole setup

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks guys, means a lot to hear that! I've put a lot of work into this tank, and luckily my girlfriend supports me on it as well. I still want to add some more twigs and get some Indian almond leaves for the bottom, but I'm hesitant because of tannins

Ouch, I'm going to be ordering a group this weekend

So this plan fell through, so I'm thinking a pair of teleogramma depressum will be just as nice.

So an update on this tank. I did a 50-60% water change on the tank last night. Filled it back up, scraped some algea off, then noticed late that the lemons looked weird. I checked and found 4 dead. No known cause. Did a 15% water change and added in prime. Went to bed and everyone seemed stable. Woke up this morning to find 8 more dead lemon tetras, 3 unaccounted for, and a dead vampire pleco. Water changes are just not my friend....this is the number one way I've lost fish in my hobby career. I'm ready to pull my hair out. It's been a rough year for me, and I guess things will continue to pile up on me....Hope everyone else is having a better morning....luckily the uaru seem ok

Ouch man. What's up.with that? Municipal water cleaning the pipes or something? I've noticed odd behavior after a wc before as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ouch man. What's up.with that? Municipal water cleaning the pipes or something? I've noticed odd behavior after a wc before as well.

No clue, thinking it might be. I would probably have broken down this tank if I lost the uaru and been putting a snake in it lol I don't want to imagine losing them, as slow as they grow

They pretty hardy fish? Look to be. I've lost entire troops of fish before for no apparent reason. Never really know what they went through before landing in your tank. Small tetras and small corys mainly. Pleco could have snacked on one of the dead tetras and caught the bug??

They pretty hardy fish? Look to be. I've lost entire troops of fish before for no apparent reason. Never really know what they went through before landing in your tank. Small tetras and small corys mainly. Pleco could have snacked on one of the dead tetras and caught the bug??

I've had them from the start :/ my cories seem good, and my bristlenose as well. The regani is cruising as usual. I just don't get it. Not looking forward to having to replace 16 members of a 24-member school :/

Freak how are you uploading the pictures? I can't see any on the app or website.
Sorry to hear about your lemons

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That just plain sux. Sorry you're having unexplained problems.

Freak how are you uploading the pictures? I can't see any on the app or website.
Sorry to hear about your lemons

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They show for me.

Dang, Gecko sorry to hear about this :(
I lost my old severum that way, no apparent cause, just took about an hour or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So an update on this tank. I did a 50-60% water change on the tank last night. Filled it back up, scraped some algea off, then noticed late that the lemons looked weird. I checked and found 4 dead. No known cause. Did a 15% water change and added in prime. Went to bed and everyone seemed stable. Woke up this morning to find 8 more dead lemon tetras, 3 unaccounted for, and a dead vampire pleco. Water changes are just not my friend....this is the number one way I've lost fish in my hobby career. I'm ready to pull my hair out. It's been a rough year for me, and I guess things will continue to pile up on me....Hope everyone else is having a better morning....luckily the uaru seem ok

Wow, this blows!
I would flip if I lost double digits after a waterchange!
How much algae and what is the tanks ph/gh?
I ask as cyanno can release toxins into water and I grew cyanno like no tomorrow when I kept my Tang cichlids.

I too changed water yesterday and lost one fish I found this am.
I can see signs when my water company flushes right on my corner so I know it is not that.
And I prep water for 24 hours any ways.
I have NEVER lost a fish in this tank so I am extra on guard(as I am sure you are).
I hope for both of us it was just some 'tick' and not something yet to be diagnosed.
Such a large number of fish so quickly after a water change screams source water to me.
I hope you get this worked out.

I killed 25 buenes aires tetras last week after I forgot to turn my filter back on after a water change!! The hetrospila and lyonsi were luckily ok...

Just some small spots of green algae on the glass, this is one tank that never had any cyano, unlike several others of mine.

The remaining 8 seem to be perking up now, I'll go replace them soon. So frustrated about losing my vampire pleco though....that one really hurt. I also should probably not picked a whole tank full of slow growers....My uaru are TERRIBLE! They've packed on like an inch and a half since I got them, at the beginning of the year. I do only feed once a day, and only feed NLS, so maybe that's it, but I've heard from others how bad it is growing these out as well. They do all have their adult patterns in now, and seem to be showing a nice amount of that nice rusty orange, rather than the dull brown you see some with. Super excited for when these finally start pairing off. I would vent them all, but catching them around this tree stump is a nightmare

If your water is from tap(not prepped) look into 'gas bubble disease'
I searched 'gas bubble disease in aquarium ' and found lots of links.
I know of some who have had this problem and I just thought of it and possibly explaining your water change "bad" history?

If your water is from tap(not prepped) look into 'gas bubble disease'
I searched 'gas bubble disease in aquarium ' and found lots of links.
I know of some who have had this problem and I just thought of it and possibly explaining your water change "bad" history?

It would make sense, except that I kept my filters on while I did my water change, so they were spraying water constantly and there should have been more-than-adequate gas exchange. I'm wondering if the water was too warm. I guess from now on, I will be using a thermometer to check the new water temp, rather than by hand. I have dots marked on my sink where it *should* be the right temp, however, recently those marks have become much hotter and I've been forced to improvise the temp each time. Hoping that is the issue, which is a simple fix

Back
Top Bottom