Water levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok I tested my water today and my

Ammonia-0.50
Nitrite-2.0
Nitrate-160

Should add more ammonia back up to 2?

My levels are

Ph- 7.6
High range ph-7.4
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-2.0
Nitrate-160

Should I add more ammonia to get it up 2 or leave it alone?

Just tested my levels

Ph-7.6
High range ph-7.4
Ammonia-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-0

Can I turn my heat down to 78?
Am I ready for fish?

Will someone answer my post I would like to know what to do next

If you are dosing 2ppm ammonia, and 24 hours later there is 0ppm ammonia and nitrite and your nitrates are rising then you are cycled and you can add fish.

I would be a little concerned about the 0ppm nitrate. Did you do a water change just before doing the test? Are you sure you did the nitrate test correctly? (Assuming API liquid test kit, you have to really shake the heck out of bottle #2 or you get false 0ppm reading). Is your tank planted? That might explain where the nitrate went.

If you are happy with the ammonia and nitrite being 0ppm, then i would start stocking, lightly. Keep up with daily testing, if you get a spike, 25% water change.

No I didn’t do a water change and no I don’t have any live plants. I am going to test again today
It been 9 weeks today since I started cycling

If you are dosing, and there is 0 ammonia and nitrite 24 hours later, then the lack of nitrate wont harm anything.

I would just lightly stock to be sure, keep testing, and do a water change if you see any ammonia or nitrite. If you go a week or 2 without issue, add a few more few more fish. Rinse and repeat till fully stocked.

Do you have any stocking plans yet?

Edit: Get your temperature to suit your fish before putting in fish.

I know I’m going to get neon tetras(6),I know they like groups. I know I want to a male betta, so I can’t get anything with a fancy tail cause it may think it a another betta. I know I want some Cory and a brittle nose pleco I was thinking about mollies

55g is a reasonably big tank, you can get a lot of small fish in there. I would personally want to see at least 12 neons so you can see their social behaviour. Maybe 10 or 12 corys. With your pleco and betta you could maybe go a 2nd group of a different tetra or 5/6 mollies in there, depending on the tolerence of your betta.

Thank you Do think. I should just get the 12 neon first? Or will that be too many to start with? Then if everything goes well then in a couple weeks get some more. Maybe get the pleco too. Will that be too many to stock first?

I would probably do 6 neons and 6 corys to start. Then, as you say, if you are having no problems after a couple of weeks, add a few more. Try and not add more than 30% of the existing stocking at a time.

Ive never kept neons, but had many other tetras. I understand they can have a high mortality rate, like 6 out 10 might survive long term, so don't lose heart if you lose a few, and do your best to keep on top of water parameters.

I would probably wait a little before adding a pleco, to make sure there is a good amount of algae and biofilm in the tank. It will need feeding specifically too as well of course.

If you havent done any research on acclimatisation, this video shows a pretty standard way of doing this. Kind of a one size fits all method, and should be sufficient for the types of fish you are thinking of getting.

https://youtu.be/-RRtNfX0WuI

So I just noticed this on my logs will it hurt my fish that I have accumulated in a fish bowl?

I could just take the logs out it just on them. Or is it some kind of alge that the pleco will eat when I get one

You mean the brown filmy stuff or the big white egg thing? I really have no idea what the big white egg thing is (probably something really obvious that will make me look stupid).

The brown stuff is probably diatoms that should clear up on its own. It doesnt really look like diatoms that ive had before though, so maybe someone else can advise. If you are worried, take the driftwood out, give it a good boil or bake before putting it back in.

The big white egg looking things white rock my son on it They are supposed to glo in the dark
Yea the brown stuff that on the wood it just looks like it on them

The grey *fuzzy* stuff is probably biofilm and should eventually disappear on its own, how long has the wood been in there? If it looks/feels hairlike as opposed to jelly like it is an.algae and hand removal or scrubbing is probably your best bet

The wood has been in there since I started the tank
It doesn’t look slimy to me looks more hairy

Back
Top Bottom