Cant Decide.... stocking 220

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
take the oscar and you should be good. they are much more vicious than youd expect. i have one thats only about 4 inches and it absolutely shredded a pleco

TAbruzzi said:
take the oscar and you should be good. they are much more vicious than youd expect. i have one thats only about 4 inches and it absolutely shredded a pleco

Ok will do if I decide to go with cichlids. They have a HUGE bio load too.

My current stock
1 Rainbow Shark
1 Common Pleco
1 Bristlenose Pleco
2 Rainbow Fish
2 Blood Parrots
1 Angelfish
2 ID Sharks
1 Dwarf Gourami
1 Silver Dollar
1 BGK
1 Fire Eel
1 Senegal Bichir
1 Guppy

hrrrm.... so this is NOT a biotope tank. :lol:
From the list, It looks like you want a community tank.

Here's an idea.
Rather than completely restocking the tank, Why don't you fill it out the numbers and increase the schools.

Mid dwellers/Centerpiece fish

1 Rainbow Shark
2 Rainbow Fish (increase to 4)
2 Blood Parrots
1 Angelfish
2 ID Sharks
1 Dwarf Gourami
1 Silver Dollar (increase to 4)

Algae Eaters
1 Common Pleco
1 Bristlenose Pleco

Bottom Feeders
1 BGK
1 Fire Eel
1 Senegal Bichir

Honestly, I think after you fill out the schools, you will be completely stocked.
Many of these fish will continue to GROW !

From your current stock, which fish do you REALLY want to keep?

It will be easier to build and design your tank if you decide on a few favourites.
Many of your current stock are not compatible.

Bubble_B0y said:
From your current stock, which fish do you REALLY want to keep?

It will be easier to build and design your tank if you decide on a few favourites.
Many of your current stock are not compatible.

My fish get a long fine but I will have to rehome all of the fish because I'm moving so I can't keep any.

Personally i couldn't just do away with my entire current stock list. Aren't you attached to any of them? I agree with keeping most of your current stock and filling out some schools.
Don't get me wrong man, i know where your comin from. I mean if at all feasible I'd luv to have some of the fish you listed for your future 220.

I personally would keep the Bichir, Black ghost knife and Eel.

They are rare oddball fish, and are a good combination :)

Then you can add a school of silver dollars, blood parrots, severum.

Cichlid Kid said:
Personally i couldn't just do away with my entire current stock list. Aren't you attached to any of them? I agree with keeping most of your current stock and filling out some schools.
Don't get me wrong man, i know where your comin from. I mean if at all feasible I'd luv to have some of the fish you listed for your future 220.

Yes I am very attached to my Fire Eel and Cichlids. I hand feed my Fire Eel everyday and my Parrots and Angel following me around the tank. But how the hell could I take all my fish from Florida to Minnesota on a plane? That's across the country.

I think I finally decided.
1 Jardini Arowana
1 Peacock Bass
4 Silver Dollars
4 Angels
1 Common Pleco
1 Bichir
And I haven't decided on a Catfish yet maybe a Pictus. I will be adding the Jar last. I think if I start him out small and he grows up with them he will be less aggressive to them once he is full grown.

Well V man i understand your dilemma and sympathize for ya but look on the bright side, you get to start and stock a nice sized tank!
I like your revised stock list as well. The only changes I'd make would be-
1. Sailfin gibby instead of the common pleco
2. 3 pictus instead of just one.
Pictus cats do alot better in groups and with 3 of them you would better see how they interact in nature. They'll cruise around together constantly. I agree with you about the "jar" too. It shouldn't be nearly as aggressive if purchased as a juvie, I'd intro him lastly. One final thought, are you going to try and save some of your bio-material? To jumpstart a cycle with the new aquarium or is there to much of a timespan involved?

Cichlid Kid said:
Well V man i understand your dilemma and sympathize for ya but look on the bright side, you get to start and stock a nice sized tank!
I like your revised stock list as well. The only changes I'd make would be-
1. Sailfin gibby instead of the common pleco
2. 3 pictus instead of just one.
Pictus cats do alot better in groups and with 3 of them you would better see how they interact in nature. They'll cruise around together constantly. I agree with you about the "jar" too. It shouldn't be nearly as aggressive if purchased as a juvie, I'd intro him lastly. One final thought, are you going to try and save some of your bio-material? To jumpstart a cycle with the new aquarium or is there to much of a timespan involved?

Idk maybe. If I took some Bio balls and put them in a bag with tank water from my filters how long could the bacteria surivive? And I will definetly get a little shoal if I decide on some Pictus.

Have you considered trying to ship the fish to the new place? I mean its worth a shot if you really like them. I don't know if its possible for you but you could look into it maybe?

brunettebaby4571 said:
Have you considered trying to ship the fish to the new place? I mean its worth a shot if you really like them. I don't know if its possible for you but you could look into it maybe?

How long could they last in a bag in a box?

A few days
You do know you already have two fish in the tank tin the potential size of over 2 feet??

I'd ship the fire eel. They're really resilient and could survive numerous days if shipped correctly. I'm just puttin that out there cuz i know it's one of your favorites:) As far as the bio-media goes imo you have a better chance of it surviving the journey if you can keep it moist/wet in a breathable bag. The important thing to remember is its aerobic bacteria and it needs oxygen and the nitrogen cycle to survive. Bb can live for awhile w/out food but it NEEDS oxygen. If you get those breathable bags your media has the potential to last weeks.

I think I finally decided.
1 Jardini Arowana
1 Peacock Bass
4 Silver Dollars
4 Angels
1 Common Pleco
1 Bichir
And I haven't decided on a Catfish yet maybe a Pictus. I will be adding the Jar last. I think if I start him out small and he grows up with them he will be less aggressive to them once he is full grown.

Angels and Arowana?

HELL NO!
:banghead:

The angels wouldn't be safe with the peacock bass either. :nono:

Get more silver dollars (the different varieties).

vanimal said:
Idk maybe. If I took some Bio balls and put them in a bag with tank water from my filters how long could the bacteria surivive? And I will definetly get a little shoal if I decide on some Pictus.

Up to a week for sure

Bubble_B0y said:
Angels and Arowana?

HELL NO!
:banghead:

The angels wouldn't be safe with the peacock bass either. :nono:

Get more silver dollars (the different varieties).

Oh I saw a video on YouTube of 3 huge silvers with about 6 Angels so I thought they would be fine together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom