Cant Decide.... stocking 220

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do you need both a Pleco AND catfish ???

Pick only 1.
They both have huge bioloads. And poop alot!

I personally would pick the catfish.

For the rest of your tankmates, choose 1 oddball fish (eel, bichir etc...).
Then fill the rest with a small school of silver dollars.

1 Jardini
1 Peacock Bass
1 Catfish
1 Oddball fish
4-6 silver dollars

Bubble_B0y said:
Why do you need both a Pleco AND catfish ???

Pick only 1.
They both have huge bioloads. And poop alot!

I personally would pick the catfish.

For the rest of your tankmates, choose 1 oddball fish (eel, bichir etc...).
Then fill the rest with a small school of silver dollars.

1 Jardini
1 Peacock Bass
1 Catfish
1 Oddball fish
4-6 silver dollars

Ok sounds good thanks!

vanimal said:
Yeah just not as tall.

So there go it had way better conditions then yours will and the depth of a tank is not how tall it is. The depth is front to back. Your fish will be stunted and not have good conditions. I'm sorry but your tank new to be more fish friendly to that fish. If you want big fish why wouldn't you just get a big tank? And don't say it is big because based on the fish you want your tank is two small and your jardini will not be able to turn around

Hobgob said:
So there go it had way better conditions then yours will and the depth of a tank is not how tall it is. The depth is front to back. Your fish will be stunted and not have good conditions. I'm sorry but your tank new to be more fish friendly to that fish. If you want big fish why wouldn't you just get a big tank? And don't say it is big because based on the fish you want your tank is two small and your jardini will not be able to turn around

What are you talking about?? Mine is bigger than the one in the video and his Jardini can turn around fine so why wouldn't mine be able to in a larger tank?! Idk what you are talking about. I have a 220 not a 180.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hobgob said:
Was the tank deeper then yours like front to back? I just wouldn't want to put a fish in my tank that will potentially only have 3 inches in front of him and behind him when he turns around.

And this is what I said before you said yes just not as tall

Yea but you said it is wider and therefore can house a bigger fish. Surface area of the tank is more important then height of the tank. Height is important but if it doesn't have enough space then it doesn't matter.

Hobgob said:
Yea but you said it is wider and therefore can house a bigger fish. Surface area of the tank is more important then height of the tank. Height is important but if it doesn't have enough space then it doesn't matter.

No I didn't they are the same except mine is taller... Same width, and length, except mine is 6 inches taller.

Let's end this. Can we have exact dimensions? I know nothing of arowanas but for any fish I'd allow a tank six to eight inches deeper than the adult length of the fish in question. That's just me.

emerald76 said:
Let's end this. Can we have exact dimensions? I know nothing of arowanas but for any fish I'd allow a tank six to eight inches deeper than the adult length of the fish in question. That's just me.

Yes the one in the video is 6' x 2' x 2' and MINE IS 6' x 2' x 30"(height)

vanimal said:
The biggest peacock bass I've seen on YouTube was about 20 inches. And I know the Jars can get pretty big too. Like 20-28 inches right? So Angels out, what should I add instead besides more SD's?

And you just said the depth of your tank is 2 feet depth not height front to back not up and down the fish has to bend its body just to turn around when it approaches maturity. And even if the fishes external size is dictated by your tank dimensions its internal organs will continue to grow then you end up with a 26 inch fish trapped inside a 19 inch fish body that is a painful existence that will shorten the life of the fish

Hobgob said:
Was the tank deeper then yours like front to back? I just wouldn't want to put a fish in my tank that will potentially only have 3 inches in front of him and behind him when he turns around.

I asked you and you said yes it was just not as tall lol. But before the mods end this if you are someone who is just going to do what they want and through in what ever fish they want why ask? We are sitting here telling you why you shouldn't put a fish that will potentially barely be able to turn around in your tank but you still want to do it. If you like having you fish develop random lumps on it from the internals growing larger then your fish and see it die in half it's lifespan so be it but in my eyes that is not the thing for an aquarist today. Think of the fish not you! It like trying to keep a lion in your house not even because it can at least move!

Hobgob said:
I asked you and you said yes it was just not as tall lol. But before the mods end this if you are someone who is just going to do what they want and through in what ever fish they want why ask? We are sitting here telling you why you shouldn't put a fish that will potentially barely be able to turn around in your tank but you still want to do it. If you like having you fish develop random lumps on it from the internals growing larger then your fish and see it die in half it's lifespan so be it but in my eyes that is not the thing for an aquarist today. Think of the fish not you! It like trying to keep a lion in your house not even because it can at least move!

Well in that video the fish looked healthy and is there really a difference in keeping a Jar in a 220 or an Oscar in a 75? From what I've seen a Jar would fit fine in a 220. Almost all the ones I've seen on YouTube have been kept in 180s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom