Cant Decide.... stocking 220

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cichlid Kid said:
I'd ship the fire eel. They're really resilient and could survive numerous days if shipped correctly. I'm just puttin that out there cuz i know it's one of your favorites:) As far as the bio-media goes imo you have a better chance of it surviving the journey if you can keep it moist/wet in a breathable bag. The important thing to remember is its aerobic bacteria and it needs oxygen and the nitrogen cycle to survive. Bb can live for awhile w/out food but it NEEDS oxygen. If you get those breathable bags your media has the potential to last weeks.

Do I just put it in a bag of tank water? Or does it have to be oxygenated like they do at the petstores. Then I should put it in a little cooler and box with newspaper right?

emerald76 said:
A few days
You do know you already have two fish in the tank tin the potential size of over 2 feet??

The biggest peacock bass I've seen on YouTube was about 20 inches. And I know the Jars can get pretty big too. Like 20-28 inches right? So Angels out, what should I add instead besides more SD's?

The biggest peacock bass I've seen on YouTube was about 20 inches. And I know the Jars can get pretty big too. Like 20-28 inches right? So Angels out, what should I add instead besides more SD's?
You dont HAVE to add anything

Cichlid Kid said:
I'd ship the fire eel. They're really resilient and could survive numerous days if shipped correctly. I'm just puttin that out there cuz i know it's one of your favorites:) As far as the bio-media goes imo you have a better chance of it surviving the journey if you can keep it moist/wet in a breathable bag. The important thing to remember is its aerobic bacteria and it needs oxygen and the nitrogen cycle to survive. Bb can live for awhile w/out food but it NEEDS oxygen. If you get those breathable bags your media has the potential to last weeks.

Are you saying that bacteria are more sensitive than fish?

emerald76 said:
You dont HAVE to add anything

Ik so far this is what I got
1 Jardini
1 Peacock Bass
4 Silver Dollars
And then my bottom fish will be
1 Spotted Sailfin Pleco
1 Bichir
3 Pictus or Eclipse Catfish or 1 Lima ShovelNose and no Bichir.
I think that sounds fine. If I can ship my fish then Ill already have a BGK, Eclipse Catfish, Bichir, Eel, Pleco, Nd the others I could donate to my LFS.

If I can ship my fish then Ill already have a BGK, Eclipse Catfish, Bichir, Eel, Pleco,

I'm confused.
You are adding this to your list? :eek:

You don't need that many bottom feeders
Trust me, when they reach adult size, there's going to be competition for territory and space.

It's better to leave some extra room just in case. And it's more forgiving if you have problems with water quality.

You want your fish to thrive. Not survive.
The key to making your tank look full is the aquascaping! NOT lots of big fish

So your tank is 6ft long 2ft deep and 30 inches tall? I just don't see how your peacock bass is going to be able to live in there when he is full grown. He isn't going to be able to turn around in that tank.

Bubble_B0y said:
I'm confused.
You are adding this to your list? :eek:

You don't need that many bottom feeders
Trust me, when they reach adult size, there's going to be competition for territory and space.

It's better to leave some extra room just in case. And it's more forgiving if you have problems with water quality.

You want your fish to thrive. Not survive.
The key to making your tank look full is NOT lots of big fish. It's the aquascaping!

That would be it for the bottom if I can ship them.

Hobgob said:
So your tank is 6ft long 2ft deep and 30 inches tall? I just don't see how your peacock bass is going to be able to live in there when he is full grown. He isn't going to be able to turn around in that tank.

From what I've seen they usually don't reach over 20 inches in aquariums.

vanimal said:
From what I've seen they usually don't reach over 20 inches in aquariums.

What size of aquarium where they in? It also depends on the subspecies I believe...

Hobgob said:
What size of aquarium where they in? It also depends on the subspecies I believe...

I watched a lot like 125 and a few 3000 to 5000 300 and 500. The ones in the 5000 looked about 18 inches.

vanimal said:
Ik so far this is what I got
1 Jardini
1 Peacock Bass
4 Silver Dollars
And then my bottom fish will be
1 Spotted Sailfin Pleco
1 Bichir
3 Pictus or Eclipse Catfish or 1 Lima ShovelNose and no Bichir.
I think that sounds fine. If I can ship my fish then Ill already have a BGK, Eclipse Catfish, Bichir, Eel, Pleco, Nd the others I could donate to my LFS.

For my filtration I have 2 Cascade 1500 Canister filters, 1 aqua clear 110, and I plan on building a small sump even though it isn't needed so I think that's plenty of filtration. I also have a powerhead for circulation and an air stone for oxygen. I do 20% weekly water changes so do you guys think that will be fine? My water temp is usually around 78-82.

Not sure if I missed it getting the boot from the list but the common Pleco get soooo huge and have a gross bioload. Maybe consider some special Albino bn pleco they are beautiful and have blue eyes, can't remember their number designation.

Autumnsky said:
Not sure if I missed it getting the boot from the list but the common Pleco get soooo huge and have a gross bioload. Maybe consider some special Albino bn pleco they are beautiful and have blue eyes, can't remember their number designation.

Well I have a female BN now and she is tiny! I'd be worried about one around an Arowana and I like the look of a big Pleco.

The only reason i brought up saving some of your BB is because imo it could be stored in such a way to make the journey because it's not terribly fragile. Same goes for the fire eel unless its still a juvenile. Most spiny eels are incredibly hardy once they're close to maturity. On another note i must have been mistaken, i thought jardini's only got 16"-18" in captivity. Isn't it the smallest subspecies?

The bb is really resilient and is fine in a bag for several days, if not weeks. They do have some sort of capacity to go dormant, as some bacteria booster products are literally just bacteria and water. They don't need oxygen in the same capacity that a fish does.

As far as shipping fish goes, if they are relatively large I suggest taking them with you if possible.

vanimal said:
I watched a lot like 125 and a few 3000 to 5000 300 and 500. The ones in the 5000 looked about 18 inches.

So when it turns around it will have 3 inches in front and behind him...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom