Eggy's fish and tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Whoever said multis were prolific breeders lied to me...lol. Anyway I don't know what my sex ratio is but I haven't seen any spawning behavior. It's cool to see the differences in temperament between shelldweller species.

Before I moved, mine wouldn't stop lol I lost a female in the move and my ratio is way off now (5:1) and she doesn't seem interested in spawning anymore. May trade in some loner males for females soon

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Whoever said multis were prolific breeders lied to me...lol. Anyway I don't know what my sex ratio is but I haven't seen any spawning behavior. It's cool to see the differences in temperament between shelldweller species.

Do you have more than one colony? Mine breed constantly but there are two separate colonies who eat each others fry so I have very few survivors.

Before I moved, mine wouldn't stop lol I lost a female in the move and my ratio is way off now (5:1) and she doesn't seem interested in spawning anymore. May trade in some loner males for females soon

How can you tell the difference between males and females?

Do you have more than one colony? Mine breed constantly but there are two separate colonies who eat each others fry so I have very few survivors.

I don't think so? I have six fish in a ten gallon. One kinda hangs out alone but the rest are all smashed together. What constitutes a "colony"?

Ok, so that sounds like one colony with a reject. My colonies are pretty discrete- two big piles of shells with an empty divide of sand between. There's fighting occasionally over the line.

The reject could be sneaking in to eat fry though....

I learned today that some corys prefer spawning mops. Did you ever try that method? I have not with corys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

5v1? That must be a pretty hardcore reject. They don't bother each other at all.
Bren I have made spawning mops before to no avail. There's an enormous clump of java moss/bladderwort tanglemess in there too. The only spawn I got from the aspidoras that's what they used

I've got two rejects in my tank that manage to steal fry. They do it during feeding, when everyone else is paying attention to the food, they sneak in an eat some fry. Just my experiences.

5v1? That must be a pretty hardcore reject. They don't bother each other at all.
Bren I have made spawning mops before to no avail. There's an enormous clump of java moss/bladderwort tanglemess in there too. The only spawn I got from the aspidoras that's what they used

Males are much larger, also they don't use shells for the most part

I originally had 5 males with 3 females. 2 males were pushed to the outskirts, but I truthfully don't have much fighting thanks to the rock work in the tank. Hopefully upgrading the 20L to a 40b soon though, and I'll be adding some more females. Hopefully the colony will accept them, otherwise I'm just gonna have to wait for the fry that survived my move grow to breed able size lol

They're all pretty similar in size...maybe I got stuck with all the same sex? I'll try to take some pics later.
I'm debating putting these guys in the 90g but I'm not sure they can compete for territory with the boulengeri (which are at least twice their size). Any thoughts?

They're all pretty similar in size...maybe I got stuck with all the same sex? I'll try to take some pics later.
I'm debating putting these guys in the 90g but I'm not sure they can compete for territory with the boulengeri (which are at least twice their size). Any thoughts?

If be wary keeping 2 Shellie species together, turf battles can be pretty fierce

Yeah I figure as much. I tried reintroducing 2 boulengeri fry to the three adults in the big tank and I've only seen one and it's a little banged up. I'm trying to wait til they get a bit bigger to put more in but there's not going to be much room in the 20g for 23 fish much longer. Plus if I'm adding more of them that's more problems for the multis. They can stay in the 10g for now

Here are some pics of the multis sorry for the phone quality if anyone can help sex then that would be great.
The five in a group:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451870174.090583.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451870185.707961.jpg
The loner:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451870199.708901.jpg
How they set the tank up, five on the right and loner on the left. Don't mind evap it's WC day:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1451870233.405354.jpg

In the first pic, the two on the left look female, the one on the right looks male. Not positive, just what my brain is telling me lol

In the first pic, the two on the left look female, the one on the right looks male. Not positive, just what my brain is telling me lol

I see the same, the large one on the right seems to have a pretty bulky head.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Cool thanks

My julidochromis fry (only 4 survived) are about an inch long and getting rather brave. They are freaking adorable. Anyone have tips on collecting eggs/fry if they spawn again? I guess I could get a siphon started with some airline tubing, they're in a tight spot. Really would like to raise some though. Seems like hatch rate is awesome and then they're being predated once they detach from the cave ceiling.
All 6 of the brochis are still kicking. I've been treating for ich for 5 days now even though I've seen no symptoms...precautionary. Half of them look pretty good, the other half are dumpyish. No flashing, one has a slime coat issue going on, and I don't really see them eating so I'll probably jump off the ich meds and do some thinking/researching on what's next. I usually treat new little cats with prazi to be safe but I'm not sure if that's what I should do here. Anti parasite or antibiotic? It's hard to explain, they just don't look "right"...also didn't help that I put in a bad heater so the tank was super cold. I have a stupid screw on one on there cause I can't find my other backup so need to buy another one. I'm always short heaters.
I may just be paranoid but these guys are going to end up in my "prize" tank with all my awesome cories so I don't want to take chances.

Back
Top Bottom