Unwell Fish a few weeks after having fry for the first time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

x.fire.x

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My varius platy had fry for the first time a few weeks ago and never seems to have recovered. She hides in the plants a lot especially under the filter and won't go to the top of the tank to eat, only eating if food comes near to her. Today I have come home and she is at the top of the tank in the corner, she is hardly moving although ocassionally swims to the opposite corner. If you look around her fins at the bottom you will see she's trying to push out something which isn't poo. I'm really concerned about her. Any advice is appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0823.jpg
    IMG_0823.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_0825.jpg
    IMG_0825.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 61
Well that's weird, are you sure it's not a baby fish stuck in there? I hope her insides didn't get messed up with the birthing, and that's not why she is feeling unwell. :( Is she pooing at all? Could it possibly be a worm?

I went to the pet shop and they said it sounds like a prolapse, she advised adding 1/4 tsp of table salt to avoid infection -very mixed reviews about using table salt online though, I don't know what to do? Does anyone have any experience of this?

Hey it maybe ulcers. My goldfish died from ulcer once she got it from spawning and the inexperience me back then didn't know what do to. Can u see any red wounds or marking on her body?

You can use table salt, but the anti-caking agents in it are not good for fish. Try to get your hands on some aquarium salt, or even rock salt that you can crush up. These both are just pure salt, no harmful additives.

+1 adadkins. But I would advise against the table salt at all, and just go find some aquarium salt. I am not sure of the exact dosage, I hope someone else can help with that.

Back
Top Bottom