120 Gal w/ Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well, im impressed! that pleco is beautiful!

also, thats a nice peice of wood in there, with the nice gnarls and all. what kind of wood is it?

Put the first artificial thing in my tank.. I was always quite happy without having anything "fake".. but I noticed one of the new fish "shimmying"... Both of them were looking at every nook and cranny in the tank.. he would find one, shimmy, the female would come over and bend herself @ 90deg. back and forth (pretty weird to see).. this kinda reminded me of a "so-so" look, like she wasn't quite happy with it... So I found my old clay pot, opened up the hole a little and placed it in (big opening down).. My wife laughed at me, thinking it was funny, commenting "What makes you think they'll use that for a home".. Within 5 minutes, they were inside.. pretty neat..

They are currently cleaning it out..

Anyway, a picture of them in their new home.. (hopefully temporary until I can make one out of slate)

Krib2.jpg

Was about to say the same thing. Is the male clearing rocks away, taking them out from the house? If so, i'd bet you have some eggs on the way.

The tank looks awsome! Keep a close eye on the kribs though, they can be really agressive.

I figured that was what they were up to when they were looking for a "home". Not too worried about aggressiveness. I've already seen the male chasing away the Clown loaches.

When I went to pick them up, I noticed these two under a decoration. I figured they had already paired off, (and she looked fat). So I got them. Netted the male and lost the female. Picked the first one that went back to that spot and it looks like it was the right one.

These 2 have been in the tank since Tuesday. Didn't seem to take them long since they were looking for a secure place by Tuesday night (within 2 hours).

Cichlids are a very cool fish to watch, the swim in every direction (forwards and backwards).. Luckily I've heard that Kribs only get aggressive when needed to defend the "nest".. Hopefully that is right.

That's a fantastic pic of your fish in their new home. I'll bet dollars to doughnuts that it's the female inside the pot telling the male to secure the area while she does what she does best. :)

Something tells me that there will be some more "additions" to your tank shortly.

Just a pic of the tank how it is now. Had a bout with GW, cleared that up (water is the clearest I think I've seen it in a long time)

T120041507.JPG

Figured I'ld add this pic which shows the colouration of the Kribs. (they are truely a beautiful fish) (and yes, they are looking for a good spot again.)

Kribs.jpg

I have a feeling she's already laid her eggs (that was the spot)

On a side note, last weekend was a bad water weekend for me. I had my 700GPH (Mag drive) pump start leaking, Then my daughter tells me there is water on the floor in the bathroom.. The faucet decided to start running back towards the sink and promptly started flooding...

I replaced the faucet (let me tell you a little secret, it's a lot easier to take the sink out and work on it).. Then I decided to fix the leaking pump... So I built a sump.. Nothing too pretty. I built in a Co2 Reactor, but it wasn't as efficient as the one I was already using (and I got a free lesson in displacement). So I have a maxi-jet 1200 powering the reactor in the sump (works very well and little to no back pressure) The Magdrive is now underwater (so who cares if it leaks a little).. But in my haste I forgot to install the pre-filter on it.. well it's more powerful then I thought and started sucking in de-nitrate (my Bio media from my old filter) and spewed a cloud of pureed dust all over the main tank.. Hopefully it will have settled/filtered by the morning.

It's a bit more loud then I had hoped.. gonna have to re-work the pipe at the back to get rid of the sloshing sound. But other then that, it's working rather well. Still have to add a couple things to the sump. It's a 23Gal Long (fit under the stand) bringing the water total to about 140Gal. The tank is 3' x 1' x 1'.

The design I made/followed (haven't figured out the filter basket yet.)
sump2.jpg

Sounds like you had lots of fun!! Next time you run into faucet problems, give me a shout. Got a few spare ones kicking around here, would have given you a new one.
I am getting a bunch of new plants soon from aquariumplants.com, lots of Lobelia cardinalis 'small form." I hear it makes a great foreground in a larger tank. I'll get some to you when it lands if you want to give it a try, supposed to ship May 8th.

wow thats a beautiful tank!!! I've been helping my brother with his new 120 gallon tank. we've been working on trying to figure out how to aquascape it and all the good stuff

Thanks for the offer for the faucet, but unfortunately when one goes it's sort of a "oh crap" type moment.. The new one I picked up had the built in plug, so I had to do some replacing of everything to get it in.. should have just picked up a new sink too.. oh well..

The only new plant I've picked up recently is Lilaeopsis mauritiana. Still waiting for it to start growing.. but when it does, I should have some of that available.

Always looking to try new plants. I might have some Kribs available if the other fish will let them grow up.. We'll see how this spawn does.. Also keeping an eye on the Apisto agasizzi double reds (still not sure if they are both males or not, but they don't get aggressive when they see each other or when 1 swims right past the other). The smiling dwarf chiclids I'm not sure of either. They are still a bit too young. But they are a really cool fish.. They change colours depending on lighting, mood, location in the tank etc.

Got a picture of the sump now..

Water comes in from the right, Traveling through floss, then through the bottom and through the substrate on the other side. The center is just a place to put various equipment. The water then goes back through the substrate and up through de-nitrate (old fluidized bed media) and back to the tank w/ a Magdrive 7. (which has no problem with the head height).

On the far left is the Co2 reactor powered by it's own powerhead.

sumpimage.JPG

I still have the Fluval 304 running on the left hand side, but most of the equipment (heater and PH Controller) have been moved to the sump now.

T120042907.JPG

The new plants

Back, left of center, Ech. "Red Diamond"
Front, left of center, Hemianthus micranthemoides (Baby Tears)
Front, Center -> Right, Lilaeopsis mauritiana

Still having problems with Alt. R. and Ludwiga Glandulosa.

Back
Top Bottom