120 Gal w/ Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jchillin said:
And I always say: "Repeating the same actions over and over, especially with a large beligerent pleco, and expecting a different result is the first sign of mental illness" :ROFLMAO:

Lol! Thats why I eventually gave up the battle of wills with mine. You are very brave, Wizzard. Godspeed!

Tank looks great already, btw!

newfound77951, That is a Java Fern Var Windelov.. Took forever to get going..

Bravery and Foolishness are often used interchangable.. I just hope I get luck and he leaves them in the ground long enough for them to root well..

For the first time I came home from work and there was only 1 Crypt floating.. but it had very little root structure going in and I didn't expect it to grab..

The fish are loving the turface.. They've completely rescaped behind the wood. it's about 4" higher up the glass and there are caves dug out under every piece of wood..

Another odd thing is the "shinnersia weiss grun". It's actually turning red.. which I haven't read anywhere that this plant does... Ahh, found it. it turns red as it get's close to the surface. guess that means my lights are fine since it's still 10" from the surface.

Just a small update.

T120012907.jpg

The Micro sword is spreading across the front at an alarming rate, The Alt. has definately started growing now and the Limn. Caught.. The Shinnersia is also growing at a pretty good speed now..

I've also pushed my PH to 5.9 now. But I also know the KH would be misleading for Co2 Calcs.. Just goin with my gut on this one, and the fish seem happy.. the GBR's that I just added seem to get stressed pretty easy.. but the store kept moving them around.. I'll keep an eye on them..

I think the clowns did it, but under the green plant and wood on the left, there is a pit, They've dug quite deep now leaving only a thin layer of substrate now.. I just finished smoothing out the 4" mound that was at the back by the alt..

Finally started painting the back. so far I've learned a roller really sucks, way too thin a coat. the foam brushes aren't that great either, but workable. tomorrows victim for touchups will be a regular old brush.

T120020107.jpg

Shinnersia is growing well. already broke surface. Also haven't had any new floating plants. aside from the glosso, but I expected that much. Sword is spreading very fast. it's making me nervous how fast it's creeping across the front. Most other plants are growing at their usual rates.

One thing I've noticed. I dosed 1 tsp Mono Potassium Phosphate last week and within 4 days I started noticing GSA on the glass. more like a dust when I use the mag float to it. Wonder what could be causing it.. (1tsp = 7.5 ppm in 120Gal) can this little amount of plants really consume that much phosphate? or is it the Turface storing the ferts..

If it's a dust that brushes off easily, then it's Green Dust Algae and not Green Spot Algae. GDA isn't caused by low Phosphates and has to be treated more like Diatoms. You let it go for several weeks so that it lives out it's life cycle and then brush it off and it shouldn't come back.

No, it's pretty much adhered to the side wall. Looks like GSA but it's only on the side glass You can see it a bit on the left side above the spraybar/powerhead and on the right just above the gravel. (none on the front or back).. just has me a bit baffled.. looks like it only grows where there is something for the light to reflect off of (heater on right, spray bar on the left)

Tank is looking great Wiz, my althernanthera is not fairing so well, if it dosn't catch soon I'll be pulling it before it pollutes the tank. Everything else is doing great so far, love the Turface.

How do you keep that pleco fed? Doesn't one that size need a lot of nutrition?

I drop in some shrimp pellets and overfeed slightly, he goes through the gravel like a shop vac. also see him all over the glass cleaning up.. I haven't put anything in the tank specifically for him in a year or so..

Probably going to have to pick up some more algae wafers today.. probably duck over to the fish store after work.. or I'll pick him up some zuchini for a snack. I don't think he's had that for a while and he hasn't uprooted much lately (not for lack of trying I think) I saw him swim through the Alt. yesterday. It just has better roots now.

You and Glen really need to get a diatom filter. That would make the substrate shuffles much quicker to clean up!

Incredible tank. I just can't get over the size of it, everything looks like tiny plantlets, I have to keep reminding myself these are relatively large plants in a HUGE tank!

Oh, and that java fern species variant looks really neat. Much like Riccia IMO. I'd like that for my plant "tree". It would go good with the lace java fern.

Actually, mine's drilled for an overflow. (Still have to build the sump) and it should have a lot better particulate filtration.. but I find the shuffles only cause problems for about 1 hour, then it's cleared up.. used to be 2 hours so it's going down quite rapidly.. (and it only really makes a mess when it's the Plec.)

The Java fern is from Tropica.. Var. Windelov and it does look nice, but that's over 1 years growth and it was stunted for quite a while.. But it does get nice branches to it..

Yeah, the Shin. has already cleared 2' tall.. it's hard to capture the size in a picture.. maybe next time I'll put a ruler in front of it.. :)

Wizzard~Of~Ozz said:
Actually, mine's drilled for an overflow. (Still have to build the sump) and it should have a lot better particulate filtration.. but I find the shuffles only cause problems for about 1 hour, then it's cleared up.. used to be 2 hours so it's going down quite rapidly.. (and it only really makes a mess when it's the Plec.)

The Java fern is from Tropica.. Var. Windelov and it does look nice, but that's over 1 years growth and it was stunted for quite a while.. But it does get nice branches to it..

Yeah, the Shin. has already cleared 2' tall.. it's hard to capture the size in a picture.. maybe next time I'll put a ruler in front of it.. :)

Don't use a ruler, use something we're more familiar with, like a beer. :)

Tank looks great, I get such inspiration from reading this post as I've beeb procrastinating somewhat about changing the subtrate in my tank.

Tell me, what is Turfice? I realize that it's a subtrate but I've never heard of it, sounds interesting.

wow... what a really nice sized/shape of tank. That will be a lot of fun over the next couple years ;-)
I really like the driftwood, and those plants should really fill in in a tank like that.

I think I would be afraid to put my hand in there with Mr giant pleco. Might mistake me for some algae and loose a finger or something.

You believe I can reach in the tank and pick him up? he's that friendly.. (but his skin is rough and will remove the top layer of skin off your hand faster then sandpaper if he moves suddenly)..

Hoping to re-arrange a couple of things today. Have to move the crypt from the back and move the shin. in..

Good note tho. looks like the glosso has grabbed hold aswell.. growing really tight to the substrate.

Turface is a calcified clay used for baseball diamonds to help with drainage.. I picked it up locally.. I am surprised with how light it is, but that makes moving plants around that much easier.. (and the loaches are having a blast moving it around too)

Some Pictures of the plants in the tank..

Alternanthera reineckii

alt.jpg

Limnophila aromatica

Limn.jpg

Ludwiga Glandulosa "perennis"

Ludwiga.jpg

The newer growth on most of these plants is showing very healthy, esp. the Limn, the old growth (from it's stay at the LFS) was very brown/dying..

Re-scaped the right moving the Shin. to the background, the Crypt more forward.

T120020407.jpg

Just a small update. sorry for the bad glare. just finished the frame of the canopy and added my 2-2xODNO T8's and the face isn't installed yet..

Back
Top Bottom