120 Gal w/ Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wizzard~Of~Ozz

Aquarium Advice Addict
This was in discussion earlier in This Thread.

It's a 120Gal 4'x2'x2' w/ 2 holes drilled in the back (not in use yet) Using Turface as a substrate.

Occupants include, 5 Congo Tetras, 12 Black Neons, 4 Silver tip Tetras, 5 Clown loaches, a couple others and a 14.5" Sailfin Pleco.

Lighting currently is a 4x65w 10000K CF fixture, 1 32w 6500K T8 (will be replaced later when I make the canopy)

Tank is lightly planted (got rid of 2sq feet of anubias, 1 really large crinum) Currently has 1 Small anubias Nana, lots of crypt Becketti, Crypt Parva and some Ludwiga Glandulosa.. So far.

So the upgrade..

It started by bringing in a stand I had made for a 150 Gal (6'x2') but decided on the 120.. Not much to look at yet, but it's strong enough to hold up a very heavy truck.
120Gal%20001.jpg

I had to wait a bit to get some help getting it into the house.. But it came in rather easily.. and we quickly caught our first pet. Must be a cat fish..
120Gal%20003.jpg

Once the tank warmed up a bit, I started adding some Turface, Thsi stuff sure can kick up some dust.. but I added about 75lbs..and was very surprised by how little it took to give a nice deep bed.

120Gal%20005.jpg

120Gal%20006.jpg

Added some water and it resembled a soccer field on a rainy day.

120Gal%20007.jpg

Spent a good chunk of the night vacuuming the gravel.. but by this morning.

120Gal%20009.jpg

Topped it up using the gravel vac to diffuse the flow.

120Gal%20011.jpg

Started adding some plants from my other tank (picking the ones that were in better shape.)

120Gal%20012.jpg

120Gal%20013.jpg

Then I moved 1 filter and the wood over, re-arranging it to look a bit better and not so flat.

120Gal%20014.jpg

One Silver tip got caught in the Java fern and made a bit of an early arrival.. glad I matched the temps first..

120Gal%20015.jpg

Then came the fun part. moving the fish. things went well except for one traumatized Pleco.. Here's a picture of the tank with the lights off.
120Gal%20016.jpg

And the Pleco.. I used a net and pushing with his tail put his head in, he locked his fin and promptly became very stuck.. luckily he was patient while I tried to get the net off him..
120Gal%20017.jpg

The overall and side view of this "still unsettled" tank with the lights on.

120Gal%20018.jpg

120Gal%20019.jpg

I should be starting to pick up new plants on Monday.. See what I can do to fill in some of the big hollow center..

I'll post more when I get the Canopy Built, Sump built/installed and any other time I feel like adding something.

In my 75, I had the wood all laid out flat.. I tried this time to build a sort of cave for the Sailfin (who is somewhere around 12-13" ) it seems he likes it as he spends almost all his free time in there. It's about 5 pieces of Mopani wood. Combined it weighs about 20-25lbs.

Tank cleared right up today.. Either my PH meter is wrong or the PH of the tank is 6.5 without Co2.. gonna have to re-calibrate it, then measure some standing water to get a Co2 Level.

Plants are re-rooting well. 75 is in the Garage (chore breaking that down and removing the gravel).. Should be adding some more plants tomorrow and I have to see about a couple of other things.

The pleco is loving the space.. he can actually swim freely now.. The clowns are really enjoying it too, I see them digging a pit under the wood to make a bigger place (pretty resourceful)..

Most others just seem to be getting used to the space.

Tank looks great, gonna be another beauty. I'll be setting my 75 up Mon or Tues night, thanks for the inspiration :)

I've always loved that form factor. In fact I wish mine was more like that instead of being so dang long. You are going to have a blast filling that one with plants :) You're off to a great start. I'll be following this thread to watch things progress.

looks amazing! cant wait for updated pics! (its monday to!)
so what other fish are you going to be putting in it? also, what is turface? I like it!

Added some more plants. Met up with Glen today, got some Glosso.. See how the pleco likes the taste. Also got some shinnersia weiss grun. Went into the store and got some Alternanthera reineckii ''lilacina', Echinodorus quadricostatus var. ''magdalenensis'' (got this for half price because it was in bad shape), Limnophilla aromatica (which I hope grows in)..

I'm a little leery about the Crypt as a back drop. might switch this around at some point. this is more to see what grows..

120MorePlants.jpg

Current Tank Inhabitants.
1 - Red Sailfin Pleco (approx 12-13")
5 - Clown Loaches
5 - Congo Tetras
2 - Diamond Tetras
1 - SAE
12 - Black Neons
4 - Silver tipped tetras
2 - Black Kuhli Loaches
5 - Oto's
4 - Black Skirt Tetras (added 3 today)
1 - Cochu Blue Tetra (but he isn't doin so good)
2 - Serpae Tetras

I think that's it..

Sorry, Turface MVP is a "gravel" used in baseball diamonds and other places where there is poor drainage.

Looking great, can't wait to watch it fill in. Got my 75 half full, gonna finish it up tomorow and post some pics. Those plants look so small in that monster tank! Thanks again for the turface, working out great so far, a little goes a long way. Now lets see how well it grows plants!

Looking really great. You'll have to do a log to keep us updated.

LOL, what happened to that "catfish" you had as the first inhabitant? Did it outgrow the tank already? :)

It evolved into me replanting the Glosso this morning.. Plecky really just hates some plants. saw him crash into the back wall of plants (right beside the alt. ) for no real reason.. I think he hates me..

Actually, he is a very relaxed fish. just not too bright (I really hope he doesn't read this forum.)

Well, Plecky got a poke from a stick today.. Every morning I'm replanting something... I think some of it he's doing on purpose.. I see him pushing his nose into the base of the plants...

120012507.JPG

Look forward to making a sump.. might be his timeout box..

Tsk, looks like he will continue to engage in rescaping "his" house. LOL.

travis simonson said:
Remember, and I always say this, the true art involves being more stubborn than your fish :)

And I always say: "Repeating the same actions over and over, especially with a large beligerent pleco, and expecting a different result is the first sign of mental illness" :ROFLMAO:

Gah! Do you take thing for walks?

Seriously! That is a monster pleco!

Love the tank....very jealous....a 120 is my dream tank when I am out of school and have my own house. What is the plant in the driftwood to the left?

Back
Top Bottom