10 gallon Build/ Journey Thread :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks! I tested 1 once a week for ammonia, nitrites, and The High Ph (API master test kit. Once they 0,0, 7.6, I tested for Nitrate 3 times a week. I have cycled the tank in no more that 4 weeks using the flake method.

See, why I didnt start testing the nitrates at first was because Any ammonia or nitrite could effect the readings of the nitrAte, giving you false readings.

*Update*

Well, the tetras and shrimp are doing great! At first, tetras only nibbled at the flakes I gave them, and most of the time ignored them. But, once I put some Hikari Tropical Micro Pellets, they gobbled them up (What a relief)!

I am thinking of moving the Cambomba out of the tank and replacing with Java fern, but still not decided.

Thanks! I tested 1 once a week for ammonia, nitrites, and The High Ph (API master test kit. Once they 0,0, 7.6, I tested for Nitrate 3 times a week. I have cycled the tank in no more that 4 weeks using the flake method.

See, why I didnt start testing the nitrates at first was because Any ammonia or nitrite could effect the readings of the nitrAte, giving you false readings.

Hi again..thanks for the info...but one more question, when you said flake method, did you put some flake food in the water like there is a fish (although none)?

Yes in deedy :) The decaying fish food acts like ammonia for the beneficial bacteria to feed off of.

tyspot1000 said:
*Update*

Well, the tetras and shrimp are doing great! At first, tetras only nibbled at the flakes I gave them, and most of the time ignored them. But, once I put some Hikari Tropical Micro Pellets, they gobbled them up (What a relief)!

I am thinking of moving the Cambomba out of the tank and replacing with Java fern, but still not decided.

Those hikari micro pellets are a life saver! I use them with my CPDs and they love them :D.

Yeah, Im guessing that the LFS feed them that, so that's why they ate them so fast.

*Update*

I took out the banana plant and put it in the 30 gallon, It just wasnt doing that great like it did when it was in the 30.

Hi Tyler, where can I find more info on the flake method cycling. I am planning on getting a 125 gallon tank. Your tank is very pretty.

Katar76, heres different ways on how to cycle a tank: Fishless Aquarium Cycling Method

*Update*

Well, I went to the LFS and couldnt resist getting a pair of orange Australian killifish, they were just too hard to miss. I know my tank is overstocked, but I plan on doing 1 50% water change once a week.

They are doing great, and next time I go to the local fish store, If I spend over $150, I get a $78 discount :D

Katar76, heres different ways on how to cycle a tank: Fishless Aquarium Cycling Method

*Update*

Well, I went to the LFS and couldnt resist getting a pair of orange Australian killifish, they were just too hard to miss. I know my tank is overstocked, but I plan on doing 1 50% water change once a week.

They are doing great, and next time I go to the local fish store, If I spend over $150, I get a $78 discount :D

What a great deal...wish I had that same LFS here in MA.

Update.
I took out the vals and combomba, just didnt look that great in there. I did put some more lutea in though. Diatoms arr going like crazy! Plan to go get nerite snaik tomorrow.

Here u go you little turd. Jk :)

Attachments

• 2011-02-19 13.53.10.jpg
    2011-02-19 13.53.10.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 2011-02-19 13.52.54.jpg
    2011-02-19 13.52.54.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 85
  • 2011-02-19 13.52.39.jpg
    2011-02-19 13.52.39.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 91
Back