120g oscar tank | barrel sump build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I looked into it. Can check for tempered glass using a pair of sunglasses and a piece of regular glass :) I'll look into it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Quick assumption. Correct me if I'm wrong. In theory couldn't I do my cycle in my 55g media barrel. Have it ready to go so when I fill my tank it's done. I'm thinking lower layer of lava rock, topped with bio balls, topped with filter pad. Put a powered and heater in it. Add ammonia and cycle it. Then when I'm ready to fill the tank I could add fish a day or two later

Quick assumption. Correct me if I'm wrong. In theory couldn't I do my cycle in my 55g media barrel. Have it ready to go so when I fill my tank it's done. I'm thinking lower layer of lava rock, topped with bio balls, topped with filter pad. Put a powered and heater in it. Add ammonia and cycle it. Then when I'm ready to fill the tank I could add fish a day or two later

Yeppers. That would work just fine.

The adhesive on the led strip wasn't sticking very well. I added some silicone. With the remote changes between 4 colors, can slowly dim or flash between colors as well. Not to bad for $50 ;-)

Attachments

• 1428540597291.jpg
    1428540597291.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 1428540610768.jpg
    1428540610768.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 75
https://youtu.be/R5dkKy4OCIw

Here is a video of what my light can do :)

Cool, leaving it a solid color would probably be best when the fish is in there so you aren't freaking it out with all the flashes and changing of color. That was even hurting my eyes, I couldn't imagine living in it.

May be nice to get a second rope of LED and then you could at least put one on like blue and the other on white, give it more of a cool diluted color effect rather than just pure blue or white.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Cool, leaving it a solid color would probably be best when the fish is in there so you aren't freaking it out with all the flashes and changing of color. That was even hurting my eyes, I couldn't imagine living in it.

May be nice to get a second rope of LED and then you could at least put one on like blue and the other on white, give it more of a cool diluted color effect rather than just pure blue or white.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

For sure, I wont be using the flashing feature at all. Dont want to take a chance on my fish have epilepsy lol. Or stress them out. I may use the dimming feature and turn the speed of it down super low. so it gradually changes. Ill most likely find the color I like best and leave it there. Was just nice for the price even though I don't need the fancy features.

For the oscar, two strips, one in white and one in red will give a nice tonality.

Just my US$0.02.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Finished my return plumbing. Pump attaches to a foot of flex tubing to give it some play the 1" pvc with a union if I need to disassemble. 2 ball valves one is my main flow control valve. The second elbows off for water changes I glued a standard hose adapter so I can just attach a garden hose and pump water out for PWC. Hoping my design for the return inside the tank works well. Won't know until I fill with water

Attachments

• 1428638019772.jpg
    1428638019772.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 53
Filter pad $16, egg crate $14

Attachments

• 1428703734219.jpg
    1428703734219.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 52
PumpStopper Kit

Thinking I am going to buy this Pump Stopper float kit instead of drilling the tank. This will shut off my return pump if the water level reaches the set height in the event of a overflow siphon loss. And prevent 60+ gallons of water from being pumped onto my floor.

All setup and ready to add water. Lava rock with bio balls and 4 filter pads. Plumbing the barrels was a pain. Had to boil the uniseal to soften it up.

Attachments

• 1428730153281.jpg
    1428730153281.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 56
I started up the tank and the eshopps pf-1800 can't keep up with the flow at all. Ball valve dialed almost all the way down and water flowing out of my drain valve back into the return barrel. Ugghh super frustrating. I'm at a loss.

When I remove the overflows black box that's inside the tank and just let the tube go directly in the tank it keeps up ok. With the black box lowered as low as it goes the tube still rests on the box.

I'm at a stand still on this project now. I emailed eshopps. As I couldn't find info online

Putting a pipe under my u tube to raise it and opening my flood gate made it work. Shouldn't of had to do that

Attachments

• 1428814574545.jpg
    1428814574545.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 44
  • 1428814589219.jpg
    1428814589219.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 52
Added an extra utube. I have my main tank ball valve at about 80% and my backup ball valve all the way open (with a hose attached to reduce noise) flowing water back into my return pump barrel. I still have a lot of flow. The eshopps pf-1800 is just not enough. Realized my overflow barrel drain lines not being submerged cause a lot of noise. Need to get 2" drain tubing that will get below the water line.

Attachments

• 1428822651424.jpg
    1428822651424.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 48
  • 1428822667219.jpg
    1428822667219.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 47
This is a really cool setup. Unfortunately I've never tried a sump and I'm not a plumber so I'm not much help. Best of luck though! I am still watching this build.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Back
Top Bottom