120g oscar tank | barrel sump build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Would be cooler if I could make it work lol. I raised the pvc drain tubes inside the overflow box(under sponges) also lowered the drain tubes below the water line (creating suction I assume) much quieter. Still have the 2nd utube (not part of the design) I can now get it to flow with both ball valves all the way open. If I close the backup ball valve it's too much for the overflow still. In this linked video https://youtu.be/d67KgpOsItA. You can see that I have plenty of flow. Just dissapointed at how overrated this eshopps pf-1800 actually is

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I got my overflow working good enough for now. I started my fishless cycle today. Added ammonia and a bottle of beneficial bacteria. I only have 1 300 watt heater as of now so my temp us only 76 degrees. Gotta pick up another heater on payday.

Attachments

• 1428883216031.jpg
    1428883216031.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 48
Here is my first wave stock list idea for debate if anyone wants to chime in ;-)

*Albino oscar
*Electric blue jack Dempsey
*banded leporinus
*5 silver dollars

That's too much for a 75 gallon tank. I think you're making the mistake of considering this to be a 120 gallon tank, when really it is a 75 gallon with 120 gallon water capacity.

Again, one oscar should have a 75 alone. With your sump you could get away with the oscar and a nice school of giant danios or something...but not other large fish. There just isn't enough room. Silver dollars get large and are extremely flighty, putting them in a small tank with aggressive fish won't end well. Leporinus get large, swim fast...also not good for an overstocked small tank. The ebjd is so weak that it would likely be beaten up by the oscar with no room to get away.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It's a 120g, with the additional sump of about 60 gallons water. For about 180 capacity. My tank volume cycles in about 7min and I am working on more flow. 5' length 2' height 18" depth. Filtration and water quality won't be an issue. My only deciding factor is compatibility and space. I know I can have more than a single oscar in this tank it's a very opiniated subject. Trying to listen to find the happy medium between the large variance of opinion. All opinions welcome and/or what your stocking list would entail for a 120g. Albino being the only non negotiable

It's a 120g, with the additional sump of about 60 gallons water. For about 180 capacity. My tank volume cycles in about 7min and I am working on more flow. 5' length 2' height 18" depth. Filtration and water quality won't be an issue. My only deciding factor is compatibility and space. I know I can have more than a single oscar in this tank it's a very opiniated subject. Trying to listen to find the happy medium between the large variance of opinion. All opinions welcome and/or what your stocking list would entail for a 120g. Albino being the only non negotiable

Oh I never saw where you went with the 120 instead of the 75 gallon. You could do two oscars in a 120, but that'd be about it. One oscar and the silver dollars. I think leaving the ebjd out of the equation would be best since they're just so fragile. I was not a fan of my leporinus, I ended up getting rid of him. Besides being so zippy he was a jerk. I had read they were great tankmates but he was always nipping my other fish. There'd be little bites taken out of fins or bodies and it was all due to him.

Oh I never saw where you went with the 120 instead of the 75 gallon. You could do two oscars in a 120, but that'd be about it. One oscar and the silver dollars. I think leaving the ebjd out of the equation would be best since they're just so fragile. I was not a fan of my leporinus, I ended up getting rid of him. Besides being so zippy he was a jerk. I had read they were great tankmates but he was always nipping my other fish. There'd be little bites taken out of fins or bodies and it was all due to him.

Thank you for the advice ;-) I'm not really a fan of the silver dollars. They just keep popping up in my search as the popular choice. I also made the decision to stray away from a pair of Oscars. The Albino is the main attraction. I'm more interested in another large fish that is unique and interesting to watch. Oscar I chose for personality and the WOW factor when people look at my tank

That's a super cool looking jack Dempsey for sure

That's a super cool looking jack Dempsey for sure

Thanks :) he's in a tank by himself for right now. Because of their aggressive nature especially when mature they are a great fish to put with oscars once full size.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I like that idea. I also had the idea of putting a 12" plastic skeleton in the dead center of my aquarium with bricks tied to his feet (mafia style) this will give the fish a toy to play with

I like that idea. I also decided I'm going to put a 12" plastic skeleton in the dead center of my aquarium with bricks tied to his feet (mafia style) this will give the fish a toy to play with

Lol don't be surprised if he has knocked it over and chewing on it :p

I'd actually watch out for small parts he could swallow or choke on.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Didn't think about the choking factor hmmm. I'll think of something unique.

Ammonia turned to nitrite,nitrate after a week or so. Dosed some more ammonia. Waiting for my cycle to finish as I anxiously await buying some fish :)

Ammonia turned to nitrite,nitrate after a week or so. Dosed some more ammonia. Waiting for my cycle to finish as I anxiously await buying some fish :)

Woohoo! Can't wait to see them

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

So as much as I wanted a albino oscar. I ended up getting a black tiger oscar based on the petstore selection . Also got an electric blue jack dempsey and 3 silver dollars.

https://youtu.be/j6_wT28e7RY

Here is a video. The overflow is super noisy gotta tinker with it some more. Need to buy the float switch still, I also don't care for the black tint background because the tiger oscar doesn't stand out. My landscape is also too boring for me. That and I need to add carbon

https://youtu.be/j6_wT28e7RY

Here is a video. The overflow is super noisy gotta tinker with it some more. Need to buy the float switch still, I also don't care for the black tint background because the tiger oscar doesn't stand out. My landscape is also too boring for me. That and I need to add carbon

That Oscar will redesign his tank anyway one day :)

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I added 3 large rocks I got from the canyon when driving home today. Much more content with how it looks now

Attachments

• 1430021531057.jpg
    1430021531057.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 59
Electric blue jack dempsey staring at me

Attachments

• 1430023259329.jpg
    1430023259329.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 66
Back