2.5 gallon OVERHAUL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gboy66 said:
Very good. Is there any way i vould just put some media in the filter, in the flow and have BB build up in it? So i wouldnt have to just cut some off?

In the filter on the 40g? Yes you can put the media from the 2.5g filter into the 40g filter to seed with bacteria. You can move anything from the 40g to the 2.5g and it will help. Sand, plants, rocks, etc.

Mumma.of.two said:
In the filter on the 40g? Yes you can put the media from the 2.5g filter into the 40g filter to seed with bacteria. You can move anything from the 40g to the 2.5g and it will help. Sand, plants, rocks, etc.

Really, plants? Cool!

Ill stick the media in tonight! How long do you think it'll take to seed?

Gboy66 said:
Really, plants? Cool!

Ill stick the media in tonight! How long do you think it'll take to seed?

Yep everything in the 40 will have some BB on it. Well 2 weeks is usually recommended but if you have the Betta in the tank he needs his media.

Yea sadly most people dont know that its wrong, but we do so i guess all we can do is only stock these tanks with approperiate fish! Anyways, we are remodeling the tank as we speak! Haha we were just saying "man i wish we had a great small piece of drift wood like mumma got for her b-day! Haha

Hey!! I figured out that it has a 15 watt incandessant bulb! Will that work!!?

Mumma.of.two said:
Nope! A cfl will fit the fixture though.

Blast!! Okie dokie, ill find a bulb that will work:)

So my bro and i are stumped on how we should cycle this thing. I think we will do fish-in. Normally we would pop one of our established filters on it, but this tank is soo small..

Gboy66 said:
Blast!! Okie dokie, ill find a bulb that will work:)

So my bro and i are stumped on how we should cycle this thing. I think we will do fish-in. Normally we would pop one of our established filters on it, but this tank is soo small..

If you have a spare seeded filter cartridge you can put it in next to the filter intake of the 2.5g filter. Will be ugly for a while but will help seed the new media.

Mumma.of.two said:
If you have a spare seeded filter cartridge you can put it in next to the filter intake of the 2.5g filter. Will be ugly for a while but will help seed the new media.

Ooohhhh thats how it works! Bro and i had a dispute about this.

Anyways, nah i dont think we have an extra. He have foam in our AC filter on the 40, and a cartridge in the penguin filter. I dont know how thatd work..

Haha okay, so the scape has been going well.

We found an old piece of DW for the tank, but it was too big horizontally. SO, the first idea we have is the snap it in half. It was too thick to do by hand...so we threw it off the roof. What? Yup. Haha! So after a couple chucks and a nasty splinter on my part, we decided to take a different approach.

We went into the garage and stuck it in the vise! Well, that STILL wouldnt snap it.

THEN we took out the sledge hammer and started pounding away, looking to get a nice natural cut..lol! After a couple swings the thing split perfectly. Too bad it was still too long...

We finally ended up holding one side down with the vise, and pulling on the other. This finally snapped it and it is looking very good boiling in the pot!!

Funny how it took an hour for 2 teenage guys to break somthing. We are known for that!!

Haha! FTS tomorrow, once we are done with our mini-scape!:)

On a side note, we found some extra white sand to use too:D I think it looks better than black gravel, especially against the blues of a betta

Last edited by a moderator:
Gboy66 said:
Ooohhhh thats how it works! Bro and i had a dispute about this.

Anyways, nah i dont think we have an extra. He have foam in our AC filter on the 40, and a cartridge in the penguin filter. I dont know how thatd work..

Pull the cartridge out of the penguin. Put it in the Betta tank. After 2-3 weeks move it back. There should be enough BB in the AC and the substrate to support the fish in the 40g. :) watch for mini cycles.

Mumma.of.two said:
Pull the cartridge out of the penguin. Put it in the Betta tank. After 2-3 weeks move it back. There should be enough BB in the AC and the substrate to support the fish in the 40g. :) watch for mini cycles.

Very cool, so this would cycle it instantly basically? And you just leave the cartridge next tothe intake and add fish?:)

It seriously looks like your average light bulb! I doubt it will do much. What if we had a lamp?
They make tiny little replacement bulbs that will fit in the 2.5g hood, you don't need a separate lamp. Like Mumma said, you can't use too powerful of a bulb anyway in a tank that small.

Back
Top Bottom