2.5 gallon OVERHAUL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gboy66

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all! My sister is giveing my brother and i $15, and her 2.5 gallon tank. We are going to totally pimp it out with black gravel, drift wood, java moss, hownwort, and any other plant suggestions?

For stock im going with red cherry shrimp, a nerite snail, and a betta. :D

Keep in mind, no, i dont WANT to add a betta to a little tank. Thing is, my sister wont take interest in snails and shrimp. Also, the betta is currently in a 1 gallon bowl on my best friends table. A filtered heated 2.5 is much better:)

I was wontering, will the 2.5 gallon stock lights would support the stuff below?

Also, we will cycle the tank fish-in. The betta is already used to a terrible tank, so if we do a fish-in i think he will be fine. We will do water changes frequently, obviously.

So overall, thats basically it:) we need some cheap plant suggestions! I could pull some hornwort from my tank, as well as some guppy grass and wisteria. Ill get java moss from the lfs! Thanks for following!

Any plant suggestions that would live in poop lighting?

Last edited by a moderator:
lol not totally positive but ive had anubias, duckweed, frogbite,java ferns, christmas moss grow in terrible lighting.... some people may disagree with some of those though

animalzrok2 said:
lol not totally positive but ive had anubias, duckweed, frogbite,java ferns, christmas moss grow in terrible lighting.... some people may disagree with some of those though

Ill try to find some java ferns:) thanks!

I need to go to the beach and find some driftwood!! And then the river for some nice rocks:)

Good point. I think we will try and find a small piece of wood, but not much more then that. Planted of course, but do you think rcs and the betta will get along? Will the beta kill shrinp?

Mumma.of.two said:
I vote for java ferns and smaller anubias. Keep in mind you want to allow plenty of swimming space for the Betta so no huge bits of wood or rocks. :)

Great point! Forgot about that.

Ill try to do a little piece of wood in a corner, and some cool rocks in the front, with the majority og the plants in the back!:)

Think itd be alright if i just added the betta straight away to do a fish in? He is in some bad conditions right now, so idk. Would it help any if i put water from my 40 g in the tank?

Take some media from your 40g and it might even instantly cycle.
Depends on the Betta. I had one that ripped them to shreds and now I have one that shares algae waters with glass shrimp!

Mumma.of.two said:
Take some media from your 40g and it might even instantly cycle.
Depends on the Betta. I had one that ripped them to shreds and now I have one that shares algae waters with glass shrimp!

How should i take out some media? Cut out a square? Or put in a little piece in the filter and use it later on?

Lol! Hopefully this betta is nice..i really want to add some shrimp

You got cartridges? Yeah. Cut out a bit 1/4 or 1/6 should be fine. You'll have to watch the 2.5g for spikes still but it shouldn't be much. Bettas have pretty small bioloads IME. Also watch your other tank for spikes. A little bit of media shouldn't have any effect but better safe than sorry.

Hey all! My sister is giveing my brother and i $15, and her 2.5 gallon tank. We are going to totally pimp it out with black gravel, drift wood, java moss, hownwort, and any other plant suggestions?

For stock im going with red cherry shrimp, a nerite snail, and a betta. :D

Keep in mind, no, i dont WANT to add a betta to a little tank. Thing is, my sister wont take interest in snails and shrimp. Also, the betta is currently in a 1 gallon bowl on my best friends table. A filtered heated 2.5 is much better:)

I was wontering, will the 2.5 gallon stock lights would support the stuff below?

Also, we will cycle the tank fish-in. The betta is already used to a terrible tank, so if we do a fish-in i think he will be fine. We will do water changes frequently, obviously.

So overall, thats basically it:) we need some cheap plant suggestions! I could pull some hornwort from my tank, as well as some guppy grass and wisteria. Ill get java moss from the lfs! Thanks for following!
Is the light an incandescent light of a fluorescent light? Generally, the light that comes with most of those 2.5g tanks are just incandescent lights that won't really work for plants. You can get a cheap replacement though at WalMart. I got their cheapest plant growth bulb and it works fine for my hornwort and guppy grass that are in the tank. :)

Mumma.of.two said:
You got cartridges? Yeah. Cut out a bit 1/4 or 1/6 should be fine. You'll have to watch the 2.5g for spikes still but it shouldn't be much. Bettas have pretty small bioloads IME. Also watch your other tank for spikes. A little bit of media shouldn't have any effect but better safe than sorry.

Yeah i have alot of media. So just cut some off?

absolutangel04 said:
Is the light an incandescent light of a fluorescent light? Generally, the light that comes with most of those 2.5g tanks are just incandescent lights that won't really work for plants. You can get a cheap replacement though at WalMart. I got their cheapest plant growth bulb and it works fine for my hornwort and guppy grass that are in the tank. :)

It seriously looks like your average light bulb! I doubt it will do much. What if we had a lamp?

Mumma.of.two said:
Any 5000-6700K cfl will work. :) I use GE 20W 6500K bulbs on my 8gallons and 7gallon and a 15W (?) 5000K on my 10g. The 20w might be too strong for a 2.5g though.

Walmart?:D

Maybe a hardware store?

Mumma.of.two said:
Yup! Add it to the filter when you add the Betta so the BB have a food source.

Very good. Is there any way i vould just put some media in the filter, in the flow and have BB build up in it? So i wouldnt have to just cut some off?

Back
Top Bottom