2.5 gallon OVERHAUL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
fosterandsmithaquatics.com has the best prices on them I've found. Tank looks great! I think it would be nice to add some java moss to the wood, and add something up front like dwarf hair grass maybe. :)

Ya thats a great idea! I will order that heater as soon as possible! Ya we wanted some moss, but we didnt want the whole moss ball.. It was too much :( and its super low light, would guppy grass be ok?

If you take out that filter and add that CFL, it won't be super low light. Or even if you leave the filter in and put in the CFL the one side still won't be super low light.

A golf ball size portion of java moss should only run $2-$3. I actually just got some guppy grass so I don't have much experience with it, but once the CFL is in, I'd be surprised if it didn't work out.

Ya if we find one we will probably get one! Haha we need that heater first... The water he came in was probably 69-72 degrees. Veryyy cold. Haha

Just wanted to update and say max is doing AWESOME. He LOVES his new tank, swimming all around and playing in the output.

I really love bettas now, so much personality is treated correctly..

We got the temp up to a steady 75, so he is doing well without a heater so far. We are still going to try and get one:) pics of max!!:)

How do bettas make bubble nests? I think little maxy is trying to make one!:)

Do they need floating plants for this?

Gboy66 said:
How do bettas make bubble nests? I think little maxy is trying to make one!:)

Do they need floating plants for this?

Bettas bassicly come to the surface and breath, creating a bubble. The betta uses his saliva to make a coat around the bubble so it dosent pop too easily. I think its saliva or something like that haha they make bubble nests when they are comfortable and want to breed:)

No they don't need anything, although you could cut a styofoam cup in half and float it in the tank. This makes it easier to gather bubbles:D don't quote me on any of this! Haha:)

Yup, it's saliva coated air bubbles.

They don't need floating plants, though most bettas certainly enjoy them. Make sure the tank is filled to just at the outflow of the filter, so there isn't too much surface agitation.

Austin.b said:
Bettas bassicly come to the surface and breath, creating a bubble. The betta uses his saliva to make a coat around the bubble so it dosent pop too easily. I think its saliva or something like that haha they make bubble nests when they are comfortable and want to breed:)

No they don't need anything, although you could cut a styofoam cup in half and float it in the tank. This makes it easier to gather bubbles:D don't quote me on any of this! Haha:)

Quoted!! Lol.

Thanks austin. Maybe hes new at this, because his bubbles keep popping!

That may be from the surface agitation. From one of the previous pics it looks like you could add a little more water.

Last edited:
siva said:
That may be from the surface agitation. From one of the previous pics it looks like you could add a little more water.

Hmm, we are pretty full! I will check the water level when i get home again though, thanks:)

Nu-Nu the eel said:
I just did a top off last night ^^^ maybe he is just breathing..

Oh no, he is actively going to the surface for air, holding it, then blowing it out in small bubbles to make a nest

Added alot of java moss. Ill pin some to the DW tomorrow, and take some pics;)

Glad to know he is doing well. You may have said this before and I missed it, but is this the betta your friend's mom owned that you were talking about earlier in some other thread?
He is a pretty little guy. Yeah, their personality is very fun once they are in a big enough space for them to stretch their fins. :)

absolutangel04 said:
Glad to know he is doing well. You may have said this before and I missed it, but is this the betta your friend's mom owned that you were talking about earlier in some other thread?
He is a pretty little guy. Yeah, their personality is very fun once they are in a big enough space for them to stretch their fins. :)

Yes the same betta!

The tank isnt fully cycled, but we managed to get alot of BB into the filter, and are doing water changes. Max has lived his whole life in an unfiltered, uncycled tank, so i actually think that perfect water wouldnt be the best thing for him!

He definitly is fun to watch..makes me really want to set up the 10g in the garage and give him the whole thing. I feel like he deserves it!

Just wanted to update (if anyone is following)

Max is looking great. I really like him. He has made several bubble nests and it just makes me feel good to see he is happy! Pics!

Back
Top Bottom