2.5g Stock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankerJs

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay so most people say 2.5 is good for inverts. I love shrimp. I love snails too. I have a sand substrate and I am worried about the snails kicking up the sand into the filter...will it be okay? I am also looking for some kind of nano fish. Any ideas? Any links to a list of fish for nano tanks?:blink:
What are your stocking ideas for me? Be creative. This can only help. Thanks! BTW...there will be some plants in the tank--right now it only has hornwort...I will add more when I decide what I want.

Don't worry, snails shouldn't kick sand in your filter! But about the fish......I really wouldn't recomend any fish for a 2.5g. A highly planted tank with lots of cherry shrimp would be cool. But if you really wanted to have fish, I would go for something really small, like 2 endler livebearers. But that would be IT, you would not want to add anymore than that. also you could keep 1 betta in it.
I know this is a fw forum, but if you decided to do sw, dwarf seahorses would be good, they're incredibly hardy, and fairly easy to keep. But do your research!

please dont do endlers! ... you may be able to get away with a nano fish but i dont know of any i also think nano fish should be housed in atleast a 5g tank. also like stated above a betta is always an option.

red cherry shrimp or ghost shrimp are the most popular. just make sure if you get shrimp you dont get a "Filter feeder shrimp"

be careful if you chose to do snails because they reproduce! and mystery snails would not be a good option for you tank because they get to 3inch in diameter.

i would go with shrimp and a bunch of plants. i love my shrimp, at fist i though they were going to be lame but now i love to sit and watch them :)

You could do nano fish or smaller native fish like least killifish or pygmy sunfish.

What do you guys think about maybe one male betta and 5 ghost shrimp?

TankerJs said:

betta is perfect! the betta may eat the shrimp .. if you add some plants that the shrimp can hide under they may survive .. I use Ananias Nana .. my betta don't eat my ghost shrimp.. I think its worth a shot especially since ghost shrimp are cheap

Yeah, a betta should be fine with ghost shrimp! you could even add a snail.

In a 2.5 gallon? I don't think that's a good idea at all. None of them will have any room to move. Ghost shrimp aren't that tiny and a betta needs room to extend his finnage.

I don't think any fish species belong in anything smaller than a 5 gallon and even then, you're extremely limited.

I mean when you think about it...the betta will sit at the pet shop or at someone's house in a small cup if I don't put it in there. It is heated, but I'm worried about the current of the filter. If it doesn't like it in there, it can go into my 5.5g. I know 2.5 is really small for anything...but as long as I keep up with water change (which I'm good at) I think it's fine. The ghost shrimp I'm not too worried about. If the betta thinks they are tasty I can always get more...I can only buy them in groups of 12 anyways...so any extras will go in extra tanks anyways. They can always be replenished. When I say that, I am not discounting their lives as cheap re-fillable stock...they are meant as feeders many times anyways. I would prefer they co-exsist :)

Okay but think about how many bettas are sold each year. It's ridiculous to think that way. I really am against betta bowls...but small filtered, heated and well taken care of tanks are fine for them IMO. When you think of bettas...you don't think of fast moving or hyper active fish...
Bettas are smart, have personality, and are relaxed, so moving usually. Plus they have a labyrinth organ which allows them to breathe air if they need to. Well my betta won't even need to, but he has the ability to NATURALLY. So I feel like a 2.5g is a fine size for a betta. I know I will never win in a debate against anyone on the site about that, but that's just me. And for the record I have kept them in small bowls, before becoming an active member of this site, and one of them was my grandpa's. He received the fish 6 years before I was born and it lived until I was 4. He kept it on our piano and played to it every night. While he played it would sit and listen and then he would come to the top of the water and wait for me to feed him. He would also bite my finger playfully and even spit water at me. We changed his water once every 3 days and he seemed very happy. I loved Beethoven.

A 2.5 gallon is perfect for a Betta, I've kept them in small 1g bowls and they live for years

I really agree. Bettas don't move a lot anyways. Even the two we have at school in the 90gallon...(which we have 2 females).

I would go for posting a wanted add in the classifieds section. there's bound to be lots of aquarists that have shrimp for sale.

Yeah I found an offer for $27 for 25 and two extras in case with free shipping for RCS and thought it was probably the best deal I've seen yet, but still 36 ghosts for $7.50 beats it any day lol

Back
Top Bottom