20 gallon Q & A build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've got one on my 29 gal. Had it since last August.

I like mine a lot. Very customizable as far as light color is concerned. I wish it had a more stable mount like the Finnex lights... Mine slides back when I open the lid. I wish the timer was more customizable as well. The ability to have a siesta period or low light during the day would allow for lights to view fish and lights to grow plants. Right now I grow algae pretty well.

All in all, I'm pleased that I have it. It's allowed me to go high tech and spread my plant horizons.

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

I've got one on my 29 gal. Had it since last August.

I like mine a lot. Very customizable as far as light color is concerned. I wish it had a more stable mount like the Finnex lights... Mine slides back when I open the lid. I wish the timer was more customizable as well. The ability to have a siesta period or low light during the day would allow for lights to view fish and lights to grow plants. Right now I grow algae pretty well.

All in all, I'm pleased that I have it. It's allowed me to go high tech and spread my plant horizons.

Definitely not wasting time. Nope.

Thanks for the info Radmax. Do you have a good general adjustment to start off at?

Also picked up some Fontinalis antipyretica (willow moss) to cover the clay pot I'm putting in for the future inhabitants. Also going to pick up some more background plants and 10 more neons tomorrow. Next payday will most likely be the real co2.

When getting plants from a lfs where they are in tanks with fish and snails what is the best way to treat them before putting them in your tank?

Also picked up some Fontinalis antipyretica (willow moss) to cover the clay pot I'm putting in for the future inhabitants. Also going to pick up some more background plants and 10 more neons tomorrow. Next payday will most likely be the real co2.

Oh that moss makes me want spring to get here even faster, I have a nice little spot where I can collect it by the handful. I ordered it twice in the fall and both times it was a different moss:(

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Water changes on the 55's then off for plants to fill the 20 with and more neons.

So I went a little crazy. Added 6 more Neons and These plants
Telanthera Cardinalis or Alternanthera reineckii
Cyperus Helferi
Micro sword L. Brasiliensis
Ludwigia repens, broadleaf.
Not sure if the clay pot is staying I'm iffy on it.
Progress pictures
img_3173641_0_0b5d27592626d7bfb6ddc01c58017b97.jpg

img_3173641_1_df842e43e28b596de74e995dd3fad77c.jpg

img_3173641_2_2c16513c03735031e0280cf74d24e112.jpg

img_3173641_3_5f76fe1b0053c77e2cb8db5cee01ad54.jpg

And a quick video

Tissue culture and tank grown plants??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Tissue culture and tank grown plants??

The Telanthera Cardinalis and the Cyperus Helferi were culture The other 2 tank grown. Did I do something wrong?? Should I go into hiding? Hope the cops don't see this if I did..............

He hehe, if you're lucky the telenthera will look exactly like the ar in a month or two;) I've had mixed luck with the tc telenthera (ar) so you're ok.. hit me up if you want a nice starter pack. I usually send them at cost!
I'm thinking you'd like the blyxa japonica. Ammania bonsai and ludwiga sp. Red!

Last edited:
So I went a little crazy. Added 6 more Neons and These plants
Telanthera Cardinalis or Alternanthera reineckii
Cyperus Helferi
Micro sword L. Brasiliensis
Ludwigia repens, broadleaf.
Not sure if the clay pot is staying I'm iffy on it.
Progress pictures
img_3173678_0_0b5d27592626d7bfb6ddc01c58017b97.jpg

img_3173678_1_df842e43e28b596de74e995dd3fad77c.jpg

img_3173678_2_2c16513c03735031e0280cf74d24e112.jpg

img_3173678_3_5f76fe1b0053c77e2cb8db5cee01ad54.jpg

And a quick video

He hehe, if you're lucky the telenthera will look exactly like the ar in a month or two;) I've had mixed luck with the tc telenthera (ar) so you're ok.. hit me up if you want a nice starter pack. I usually send them at cost!
I'm thinking you'd like the blyxa japonica, ammania bonsai and ludwiga sp. Red!

Disregard this mess of a post please.

I'm thinking you'd like the blyxa japonica. Ammania bonsai and ludwiga sp. Red!

Thanks man! I will see how I do with these. I didn't know that the emerged plants in the culture packs would look different than after they are submerged. How long does it usually take for the star repends to look different? is it only the new growth? Guess I should stop running around spending money and do some reading. The star repends have roots coming out from everywhere. I assume its from the jell in the package.

I like the clay pot! I vote stay, but your call!

The tetras look so vibrant in that tank already!!

�� Diana Lee ��
�� the St. Augustine Redhead ��
Florida Orchid Endler's | Documented Class N Orchid Endler's Livebearer Fish

My thoughts are its a place for the GBR's to do their thing when the time comes to add them. I'm hoping the 6 added neons make it and then I'm wondering if I should add anything else or just the neons and the rams.

My thoughts are its a place for the GBR's to do their thing when the time comes to add them. I'm hoping the 6 added neons make it and then I'm wondering if I should add anything else or just the neons and the rams.

Unless you like the pot you can remove it, rams prefer flat surfaces like the rock on right to do their thing.

What do you mean "look different"?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

These seem to have small leaves. I read when plants are cultured like this the looks or size will change after they are in water. I guess yours look shorter with larger leafs

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Unless you like the pot you can remove it, rams prefer flat surfaces like the rock on right to do their thing.

Thanks I think I'm going to replace it with a piece of slate with some rocks piled on it

These seem to have small leaves. I read when plants are cultured like this the looks or size will change after they are in water. I guess yours look shorter with larger leafs

It could just be the plants adjusting and the new growth has smaller leafs at first.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom