20 gallon tank ideas needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pugwinkle

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 20 gallon tank I am setting up and would like some ideas as to what I could put in it. I prefer not to have livebearers and I would like to have fish that are quite colorful and will stand out since the 20 gallon tank will be below a 65 gallon cichlid tank and it will be close to the floor.

I also have a 29 gallon tank which houses rainbows and H&T tetras so I want something different.

I myself am getting a 20g shortly. You could have a pair of German Blue rams, they're very colorful. Or a school of tiger barbs. Although you already have tetras neons and cardinals are colorful. www.liveaquaria.com has a lot of fish you can look through. I'll try to think of more ideas.

I'd vote for the Rams myself. I just got one and he's made a great addition to the tank. I'm trying to go dwarf cichlid but am having a hard time finding the fish locally.

I just got a breeding pair of German blue rams--they are gorgeous. Apistos are also great, as are kribs.

I haven't seen the Rams or Kribs at any of my LFS's but I'll keep my eyes open for them. I have heard they are quite lovely. I do have my 65 gallon tank filled with cichlids and I love them!

Is it easy to sex the Rams or Kribs so that I get a pair?

What else could I put in the tank with them?

Females of rams and kribs have a pink/reddish tummy and the males are generally more colorful all over.
My Germans are in a 50 gal with Apistos, tetras, cories, loaches and plecos.

flamingonhot said:
or you could try dwarf puffers...
I have been curious about puffers, can you tell me more about them? Do they need to have their teeth filed down or something, or is that some other type I'm thinking of?

In the 50 gal community there are yoyo loaches and khulie loaches. I also have three types of plecos in there: Rubber Lip, Clown, Bristle Nose.

dwarf site

go to www.dwarfpuffers.com they even have a forum and its a really good site for dwarfs and hey original name right lol!i dont know a lot about them but yes tehere teeth need to be filed by eating snails they are the really only freshwater puffer they can be kept in a tank as small tank as little as a 5 gallon they love meaty foods like froizen bloodworm and snails and such

There are also a few members here that keep puffers, two that come to mind are, Pufferpunk and Puffergirl (I think those are the correct handles).

Back
Top Bottom