40 Breeder Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppyLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I am planning on resealing my 40g breeder and I keep switching up my stock. At the moment I want
2x Angelfish
1x Peacock Gudgeon
1x Male Halfmoon Betta
2x German Blue Rams
2x Apistogrammas or Kribensis
6x Rummynose Tetras
According to aqadvisor that renders me 67% stocked. I am running a Aquaclear 70 on it. It doesn't have any warnings for me and I have researched the species so I don't think I should have any problems with aggression. I already have 3 of the rummys and the betta in the qt. I want to get a really unique fish but I can't think of anything, any ideas??
:thanks: In advance!!

IMO I don't think there would be enough room for two bottom-dwelling dwarf cichlids in the tank. It has a big footprint, but from experience my ram and angel go all over the place and have no set territory, so having all those cichlids might be a problem.

Careful with rummies. They really do live up to their reputation as sensitive, hard to take care of fish IME. I tried them, and every single one died on me. Not a very pleasant experience.

IMO, i agree with bruinsbro:)

also, angelfish prefer and require TALL tanks, and a 40B is WAY TOO shallow, and not even 20" tall, angels get to 6"-7" and need at least 2.5 times their height and u'll be having substrate too which will take up 2-3 inches

if u skip angels, the rest of the cichlid stocking could work

as long as u r able to define territories, and plenty of hidng spots

I am planning on resealing my 40g breeder and I keep switching up my stock. At the moment I want
2x Angelfish
1x Peacock Gudgeon
1x Male Halfmoon Betta
2x German Blue Rams
2x Apistogrammas or Kribensis
6x Rummynose Tetras
According to aqadvisor that renders me 67% stocked. I am running a Aquaclear 70 on it. It doesn't have any warnings for me and I have researched the species so I don't think I should have any problems with aggression. I already have 3 of the rummys and the betta in the qt. I want to get a really unique fish but I can't think of anything, any ideas??
:thanks: In advance!!

The betta with the angels is risky, but it might work, especially if they are larger than the betta. I would add your dwarf cichlids in same sex pairs or singles if you want to add that many. Not sure about the gudgeon. Such a tiny fish to be sharing the same tank region as all those dwarfs, I might reconsider that one.

angels should be fine with the betta, but i don't think angels in a 40B is a good idea atall, they require tall/narrow tanks, or any tank that is tall...........they need up/down swimming space and much less depth/side to side

Some bettas will nip fish with flowing fins, but as long as the angels have a size advantage over them, I would expect them to show the proper respect.

Thanks for the replys guys!! Bruins, I heard of all your trouble with rummies so I was extra cautious when I bought mine. I have had my 3 for nearly a month and I have had no problems with them! Hopefully I'll have the same luck when I fill out the school
FishBoss- I already have one angelfish though :/ I'll definatly look into the tank size more.
Siva- Alright, I'll scratch the Peacock Gudgeon. I have the betta and the angel already (Not together) The angel is probably a bit bigger then the betta. I bought her penny sized and shes grown a ton since I bought her. If the betta and the angel don't get along my Sister is going to take him.

What if I did a single of one and then a pair of the other? I really can't decide between Kribs and Apistos but I am set on at-least 1 GBR. Any pros or cons with Apistos or Kribs?

I can't speak too much on the cichlid pairs, because I keep all of mine in singles. I think that's the best bet to avoid aggression when you are mixing several. If you really want a pair, I wouldn't do a krib or a apisto pair with a single ram, but a pair of rams with a single apisto or krib may work. I think it's only wise to have a cichlid pair in a community tank if you are able to throw up a breeder for them, pretty much right away, in the event problems arise. Some get more aggressive than others when in breeding mode, so it's a good idea to have a back up plan.

I'm sure you've already been warned about GBR's, but I just wanted to tell you, I can't keep one alive. I think a month is the longest any of the 5 I've tried has survived. Try to find one from a local breeder if you can. You'll have a better chance of long term success if the fish was bred in water similar to yours. :)

My favorite Mom and Pop lfs gets there GBRs from a local breeder and I bought one from them a while ago and I had her for 6 months until she developed dropsy and died a month ago. I am planning on getting the one(s) for this tank from them.Maybe ill go with the pair of rams, I just love the coloration of both genders.

Oh you lucky duck! I would be getting them too if my shop stocked them from a local breeder. That's quite wonderful. I agree, I had a male and female (for a very short time lol) and they were each so beautiful.

Pick one pair of cichlids. Angels, rams, and apistos/kribs is not going to work. Any of those in a single pair will. A 40b isn't optimal for an angel, but it'll work. I'd rather keep them in a 40b than a 20H or 29.

Siva- Haha, They get all of there rams, angels, & tetras from local breeders so my rummies are used to the water around here too :)

Mfd- Alright, thanks for the help!

So what do you guys think? A single angel, a single k/a, and a pair of rams??

Maybe I should have been more specific. One pair of cichlids, and no others. Since you've already got angels, I'd say you've figured out which kind you're going to keep.

mfdrookie516 said:
Maybe I should have been more specific. One pair of cichlids, and no others. Since you've already got angels, I'd say you've figured out which kind you're going to keep.

Sorry, I thought you meant I could only have a pair and id have to keep singles of anything else.

Personally, I would go with singles so you can mix. Especially since you already have one angel and really want the GBR. :sorry:

siva said:
Personally, I would go with singles so you can mix. Especially since you already have one angel and really want the GBR. :sorry:

Yeah, I think I might have to do that :/ One day when I have a bigger tank I'll have to get pairs.

These guys will for sure be in there, just want to add something-
1x Angel
6-8x Rummies
6x Panda Cories (Totally forgot them before!!)
1x Betta

Since I had to ditch my GBRs and Apisto/Krib I think it sounds rather empty. What about another school or a gourami(or not because of the betta?) Or a pair of rainbow fish??

Back
Top Bottom