5 Gallon FW Build/Journey Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ohh thank you fort...they are beautiful too...i saw the galaxy microrasboras and they are colorful...thanks...

one more question again. can i get microrasboras and sparkling gouramis together in this tank? if i could, how many of each kind? thanks!

UPDATES:

Since I changed the water later last night, I decided to wait for the levels to be checked today. Around 10:12AM EST time, these are the following parameters:

Ammonia: 2ppm
Nitrite: 1ppm

I am happy the ammonia went down considerably. I didn't put any flakes still. I will wait till tomorrow and see if the levels will change. If it is still 2ppm, then maybe I can put a little amount of flakes in it.

a school of 6 would be good... RCS would make good tankmates... or ghost shrimp.

oh good...how many RCS or ghost shrimps? sorry for all this question. I just want to see how much money I have to set aside to get all this stock in the future? :)

A sparkling gourami should do just fine in a 5 gallon, just make sure to have some good plant coverage.

1-1.5 inches maximum. Since they are not the most active fish, smaller tanks can be suitsble for them.

how many would you recommend and can I add the microrasboras if ever?

fort recommended that microrasboras and RCS/ghost shrimps can go together..

Forts Idea could work, but If you want my opinion, I would do: 1-3 Sparkling gouramis and 10 Red cherry or ghost shrimp (So you wont have a similar stock to the 4.4 gallons....)

hmmm sounds good too...I will see what my LFS will have when I am finally able to put some fish in this tank.

thank you all for the suggestion...

UPDATES:

21 days (3rd week) of fishless cycling. Parameters are:

Ammonia: 4ppm
Nitrites: 5ppm

Is this the spiking time of the nitrites? I hope it is...I am getting more excited.

Updated picture of the tank. Not so much change but I have a close up of the java fern (pic 2 & 3). There is something in its base that's coating the roots and some bottom parts of the leaves. Is this some kind of an algae? If it is, what kind is it and how will I get rid of it? Thanks in advance...

img_1237447_0_aaacee062e53e13b0a89f510b6222665.jpg

img_1237447_1_a02d3d8085e46fb3c5d6ddcf0f881693.jpg

img_1237447_2_c5a16e4e81a80c9eee29f9d468c2c0a1.jpg

my apologies for the blurry pics. I can't seem to have a clear close up of the coatings in the camera i am using. I will take another close up tomorrow using my videocam.

hard to tell from the photos, what does it look like (the stuff on the fern)?

it's grayish fluffy look. it's not too thick but it is definitely covering most of the roots and the base of the fern..

Back
Top Bottom