5 Gallon FW Build/Journey Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oh I could do that...was just wondering what kind of an algae it is, if it is really one...

Here are the close up, just for the record:

img_1237515_0_b27acaf7d598904f8b94b075b3fa450f.jpg
img_1237515_1_7a322d2e5bb656816a71c89950cef23e.jpg

img_1237515_2_eef1fb1ae77bbb22038506295f7d5250.jpg
img_1237515_3_219d66e5fe5d4eef7f85b2ee6dc0020a.jpg

img_1237515_4_49ee2ed65136b4fec42f554812be5abb.jpg

Hmmm not sure what that is. Does not look like algae... If it brushes away then I wouldn't worry about it. Lots of weird things will show up from time to time in a new setup.

oh okay...I will try brushing them tomorrow. was worried it would creep into the vals...will update tomorrow..thanks...:)

oh okay...I will try brushing them tomorrow. was worried it would creep into the vals...will update tomorrow..thanks...:)

Just looked at the pictures. I was wondering if they have a more brownish color than we see on our computer? If so, I suspect they may be diatoms, something that is common with new tanks (from my research). I had a small outbreak in my 60 gallon tank while it was cycling. I simply vacuumed them up when I performed my water changes. They will eventually go away on their own as your tank ages. And other than being unattractive, they pose no real threat to your tank (again, based on my research).

I thought diatoms too... But they are very grey in the photos. Looks almost like dust. I suspect it is from the substrate and will go away after a few cleanings and pwcs to export (along with cleaning the filter media).

Just looked at the pictures. I was wondering if they have a more brownish color than we see on our computer?

No, it is really grey in person. It is not hindering the growth of the fern though. I see new leaves coming out from it and some in the leaves. I was gonna clean it today but I was out the whole day. I would do brush it off tomorrow and clean the filter media with the old water and see if that helps.

I thought diatoms too... But they are very grey in the photos. Looks almost like dust. I suspect it is from the substrate and will go away after a few cleanings and pwcs to export (along with cleaning the filter media).

Yes, it does look like dust in person. I will do a PWC tomorrow after cleaning that dusty looking thing...so far the vals are safe still.

Hello all...I changed the water yesterday for this tank to clean out those icky greyish fluffy thing in my java fern.

I checked parameters 3-4-2011 (I did not yesterday though after PWC) and I am happy with the results. So far, I can see a decrease in the Ammonia and normal spike in Nitrites.

Ammonia: 1ppm
Nitrites: 5ppm

So I hope I am getting there...both vals are showing new shoots (1-2 leaves per bunch) and a lot of baby java ferns..so I am excited right now. I am just praying that there will be no snail problem here like what happened to my 4.4G. I have a java moss here that came from the same place as the one in that tank that I have a common snail outbreak....arrghhhh!

Still following...

Be careful not to overfeed the tank..that goes a long way into keeping the snails to a minimum.

Thank you Alisha....

I was checking levels today....and guess what???? My fear was true...I saw 1 snail and 2 eggs and got them out but I hope there is not more than that. I placed one lettuce tonight so hopefully that will work. Praying....:-(

Levels:

Ammonia: 2ppm (I don't know why it risen-is this coz of the snails?)
Nitrites: 5ppm
Checked Nitrates too and it looks like 10ppm or 20ppm..wasn't sure of the color in the chart. They almost look alike.

UPDATES:

27th day of cycling:

Ammonia: 1ppm
Nitrites: Looks like 2ppm-5ppm (color almost the same)

I am looking for an assassin snail now since I am afraid that there might be more snails here than I know off. I am not looking forward to these.

How is it going with the snails? Honestly, I would just wait them out and see what happens...just make sure to pull any out that you see crawling around.

Hi, they are still around. But just like you've said, once I see them, I took them out. I haven't seen too much on this one so far lately. The only thing I was worrying about is the parameters. It is getting weirder each time I check them since I found out I have snails.

Today here are the levels:

Ammonia: 4ppm
Nitrite: 0.50ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm

Why is my ammonia high again? I have not been putting flakes here coz I was waiting for it to go all the way down to 1ppm to put little flakes to feed off the bacteria. But it never really stayed at 1ppm. So I didn't put any flakes in..but today it went high...For the past 4 checking, the ammonia was going 1 then 2 then 1 then 2 then now, 4ppm. Very confusing...although the nitrites are going down now. Should I do a PWC?

And oh yeah, this is my 29th day of cycling.....did I ruin the cycling somehow? Or the presence of the snails made the ammonia spiked?

Okay 30th day of fishless cycling (with invisible pond snails :-(), and the levels are:

Ammonia: 4ppm
Nitrite: 0.25ppm
Nitrate: 5ppm

The Nitrite is on it's way down but the ammonia is staying. So I guess I will do a 75% PWC later.

Hold off on the PWC. There's nothing in the tank to really hurt yet. I also have a feeling the nitrites are giving you a false positive on your nitrate test.

Back
Top Bottom