5 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It does have roots, big ones too

I have a couple of questions
I'll be getting the mystery snail and shrimp soon, but for now, in these 2 days while I get them, what can I feed to the plants?
Also, my tank is open top, will the shrimp escape?

Your tank was most likely not cycled. Do you have a filter and a heater?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How did you cycle it? A tank that small will take a few months to cycle not 3 weeks.
What were your levels of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I used tetra safe start, got the filter media and bio wheel from my 55 gallon and put it in it turns out to be a quick process

In a tank that small, if your at all worried about keeping the bacteria alive I'd just stick the filter material in your 55's filter until you get some fish. I honestly think you could do ADFs in that tank, they're not super active little guys, I'd say bettas are more active than they are tbh, and they don't have a big bio load.

They don't, I really want one, but this is my stock

1 betta
5 ghost shrimp
1 apple snail
2 nerite snails

Oh I didn't realize you got another betta. I would say skip the apple snail and one of the Nerites and get a frog. Just make sure you are prepared for the somewhat special feeding they need.

Wait, ok hold up

I haven't gotten a betta yet, I want for whatever the remnants of the fungus are there to be gone
Why only one snail? Is it too much?

Apple snails are poop machines, and a single nerite will keep the tank algae free... IME. They usually won't take prepared foods so they can starve.

Ok, I thin your right on only one nerite snail

But, I'm doing 50% bi-weekly water changes with double filtration, isn't that enough

I still wouldn't put an apple snail in there, they should get the size of an apple.. Seems a little large for a 5g.

Oh I didn't tell you guys, my parents love apple snails, once it gets a bit too large for the tank I'll move it over to my 55 gallon tank

Back
Top Bottom