55 Gallon Plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redwhiptailplec

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay so here is what I am planning to stock in my 55 Gallon....

1 Common Pleco, about 3" currently.
1 Red Lizard Whiptail Pleco, about 2" currently much smaller very thin, gets to about 6".
3 Upside Down Catfish, teeny but get to about 4" apparently.
2 Otocinclus Cats, get to 2".
1 Rubber Lipped Pleco, about 1" currently gets to about 6".
3 Angels, all juvenile.
20 Neon Tetras.
10 Flame Tetras.

Now I know this will be overstocked when they all reach their full sizes, but I do 2 50% water changes a week and check the levels frequently.

If I feel I can get away with it I might add a Parrot to that lot......

Oh and I will also be maxing out the filtration, I am currently thinking 2 Emperor 400 and a Canister..probably the Eheim Fluval 404 -think thats right-. I am a firm believer that you cannot have too much filtration.

It sounds tight, but will work.
I run twin Emperors on my 55 gallon African Cichlid community tank and aside from being a bit noisy, it seems to do a pretty good job with these rather messy eaters. If you are going to supplement it with a canister filter, I'd forget about the second Emperor and use the money saved to buy a bigger or better canister. Jeff

I have heard that angels don't like too much current in the tank, so they may not appreciate all the extra filtration (even though it is good idea in terms of bioload). I would not add a parrot to the mix. Occasionally I hear about parrots that can be kept successfully with angels but for the most part I think parrots are much too boisterous, and can be aggressive. Are you planning on keeping your common pleco in your 55 gallon tank long term? I just ask because a common pleco can grow up to 18 inches, and a 55 gallon is simply not big enough for a full grown one. As it is only 12 inches wide (I think) it would not even give an 18 inch pleco room to turn around comfortably. I think the minimum you would need for your pleco when grown would be a 75 gallon, it is 18 inches wide if I'm not mistaken. I'll have to do this eventually as well when my sailfin gibbiceps pleco maxes out at 18 inches. Not trying to sound rude, I promise- I'm in the same boat as you are LOL. :lol:

I would maybe not add the common plec, and get more otos insted. The common plec will really get too big.

Well the common pleco is already resident in my 20 gallon, and truth to tell the main reason I started keeping fish was because of fond memories of a monsterous pleco called Mister Tibbs. So a pleco really is a must.

I am planning on constructing a much larger tank, does anyone know how long it takes a pleco to grow? If it is a few years I should be fine, I will be building a house with a large tank...It has got to take years hasn't it?

I suppose I could keep the Parrot for later when I have another 55 gallon available....Hmmm.

Wow... seems to me and I like less populated tanks, that it's going to be very populated. :) NOt sure what flame teras, but if they have the same body style as the neons that should work. Seems like neons are less active than other tetras. I had some white and black tetras in with angels and the tetras were really active. Sort of took away from the smoothy moving angels.

I'm not sure about a common pleco, but my sailfin pleco hasn't grown much since I got him so I am guessing it would take a few years- someone correct me if I'm wrong. :? I got my sailfin a little over a year ago at about 7 inches, and he's probably only grown about an inch in that time.

Commons are the same, they do grow very slow. I haven't noticed much change in mine. I'd say you have quite a few years redwhiptailplec.

I should be fine then, I will go on fattening him up for my huge dream tank......1700 Gallon amazon tank, I have the plans already we are going to havew it built into our new house...I hope!

Back
Top Bottom