60 Gallon Setup/Stocking.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Exigenn

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i got a 60 gallon tank on black Friday, Everything is setup. So today i go to by fish spending well over $100 of fish and plants, Only to come home and have my power off for almost 8 hours. Heck of a day so far. I will be updating this thread on a daily/Semi-daily basis with pictures and changed.

Currently This is the tank i have
MARINELAND® 60 Gallon Heartland Aquarium Ensemble | Aquariums | PetSmart

I am using a penguin 350 filter with pool sand substrate.

Currently there is one piece of driftwood in as well as a fake red plant. Currently working on getting the necessities hooked up to the generator.
After thats done ill be working on the tank a little bit tonight. Wont have power until possibly after noon tomorrow so it should be a fun night.
On top of all this while trying to start the generator, not thinking with my phone in my coat pocket. The thing decides to try flying and currently isn't working.

Sini, i saw those dwarf chain loaches their surprisingly but the wanted $10 a pop, couldn't bring myself to do it right now. Plus im sure i can find a better deal online,

Needless to say it has been an interesting day so far. Might get some pics up a bit later.

I would probably cycle your tank before adding that amount of fish all at once. I actually have two of the model you bought in my house.

Also people will hate on the Marineland filters but I really like them. You may need more filtration depending on how many/what kind of fish you get. The usual that is recommended is 2x per gallon. so if you have a 20g get 40g worth of filtration.

I would probably cycle your tank before adding that amount of fish all at once. I actually have two of the model you bought in my house.

Also people will hate on the Marineland filters but I really like them. You may need more filtration depending on how many/what kind of fish you get. The usual that is recommended is 2x per gallon. so if you have a 20g get 40g worth of filtration.

I added pre-seeded media over a week ago

i never had a problem with their filters before but this one just started rattling very bad, I wrapped it in a towel and its still super loud. It sounds like a motor or something but im to tired to mess around with it tonight.

What fish did you buy for it?

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Well i bought a dwarf puffer for a different tank

For the 60 i got:

1 Flame tail honey gourami
2 praecox Rainbowfish
6 White cloud that had a ton of color surprisingly
5 paleatus Corydoras (I Think, might post pic here and see if anyone can ID)
5 Pristella tetra (I think, might post pic here and see if anyone can ID)

There is also currently 4 neon tetras and 5 cardinal tetras in their because of the power thing, needed to run less tanks so they got moves here hopefully for tonight only.

AquStockImage.php

This is where im currently at with some losses This morning/last night

Also, figured i would finally get a picture of the tank up.

Attachments

• IMG_0441.jpg
    IMG_0441.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 146
AquStockImage.php

This is where im currently at with some losses This morning/last night

Also, figured i would finally get a picture of the tank up.

I'd recommend some rocks in that tank just to make it pop a bit more.

I'd also recommend getting more neon dwarf rainbows, as they are schooling fish.

Sorry for your losses :(

There is a place i go fishing that has all different kinds/shapes of rocks/driftwood i can get totally free so im waiting until i go their. Sometime this week hopefully. I know i need more of the rainbows but the store only had 2 so i figured i would just grab them for the time being and get more at a later date.

Yea the deaths were very strange, 4 white clouds looked like they wernt going to make it, came back to a dead neon about an hour after. Then 2 of the white cloud made a recovery and 2 died. Water parameters were fine temp was fine. I added an airstone in but they were not gasping or anything. It was weird, i would say it was just shock or something but i have had the neon for months. But thinking about it i did just move him in the tank due to the power outage. Who knows, im just hoping it isnt something in the tank.

Well its been a while. I have been doing 25% water changes on this tank daily, It just finished its cycles about 2 days ago. I have lost all of the white cloud minnows and 2 neon tetras. im not sure what the deal is with that. The white cloud i can kind of attribute to weak stock mixed with the stress of moving and a tank not fully cycled i guess. but the neons i have had for 6+ months and that just seems weird to me, None showed any signs of illness they just randomly died within a 2-4hr window after seeming healthy. Im going to let the tank settle down for 2-4 weeks before really adding anything new to it and see what happens.

All other inhabitants seem to be doing perfectly fine. Sometime this week or the next i will be going to a fishing spot of mine and collecting a bunch of free rocks as well as drift wood for the tank. Im still probably not going to introduce it to the system right away but i want to get it before everything freezes over here. The plants had a bit of melting but nothing to bad. My large amazon sword had a pretty large runner when i bought it and 3 of the 7 babys have started to grow roots. I also bought a java fern a whole back that came in relatively poor condition. i managed to get about 6 semi-healthy plants with between 2-6 leaves on each. In addition to this there was 8+ leaves that had fallen off which have all started to sprout new ferns =D.

One of my other endler tanks had a casualty the other day as well. My first breeding female in the tank died. Just like the white clouds and neons with no apparent symptoms. Before she passed though she gave me a batch of around 24 fry though. The nitrates in the tank were pretty high so i have been doing 25% wc every 2 days on it vs the normal every 3-4 days. In that tank as well i have noticed that the some of the endlers are having extremely long white string of poop hanging from them. I cut down on feeding and everything and it seems to be getting a bit better. Not sure what the deal is in that tanks either. Nothing new has been added to that tank in 4+ months so no idea.

With all of these problems arising very suddenly i went out and bought a few more nets to keep 1 for each tank as to hopefully not transfer anything from tank to tank. i haven't seen these problems in any of my other tanks so im hoping that remains the case.

The new dwarf puffer is doing good. Seems to be liking his new home quite a bit.

How did you make your Penguin 350 fit? Mine has the light piece staying a bit raised because the on/off button doesn't allow it to go down all the way

Thats what im doing also, if you turn the light on first then push it down it gets pretty close but its not how its supposed to be, only way i think you can have it sit flat is to remove that guard piece.

How did you make your Penguin 350 fit? Mine has the light piece staying a bit raised because the on/off button doesn't allow it to go down all the way

You would have thought that Marineland would have taken that into consideration with their own product line. But it could be the case where they, as the parent company, have their brand name applied to products from companies they bought/acquired.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Actually, $10 is each is a sweet deal for sidthimunkis. I usually see them for $15-25 each if I see them at all.

You would have thought that Marineland would have taken that into consideration with their own product line. But it could be the case where they, as the parent company, have their brand name applied to products from companies they bought/acquired.

I know! It is upsetting. I called them and they said that many people were calling for this problem. Their only suggestion was to cut some of the hood to make there more space for it? I don't know. I don't want to risk it.

I know! It is upsetting. I called them and they said that many people were calling for this problem. Their only suggestion was to cut some of the hood to make there more space for it? I don't know. I don't want to risk it.

Yea like to the sides so the filter isnt pushed up against the light but with the brace in the middle i don't even think that will work. Just have to deal with it.

Honestly its not bothering me that much.

Actually, $10 is each is a sweet deal for sidthimunkis. I usually see them for $15-25 each if I see them at all.

I didn't think they would be that much. Im glad i didn't buy them right away though with the problems i have been having with this tank lately.

Well, due to a lapse in impulse control i ended up with some discus. The gourami and Pristella tetras got moves around. All the white cloud died and a few tetras. Other things will be getting moves around soon but who cares about that.

Attachments

• IMG_0455.jpg
    IMG_0455.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0457.jpg
    IMG_0457.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0458.jpg
    IMG_0458.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0459.jpg
    IMG_0459.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 81
Ahhh there they are. Very nice, very nice indeed. That tangerine colored one in the art pic is amazing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Small update, little bit better pics of the fish as well as the whole tank. One of them is a pigeon blood one is a marlboro and im not sure of the blue one ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450719239.437200.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450719261.433355.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450719279.093995.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450719291.437961.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1450719304.790707.jpg

I don't mean to be disrespectful.. But could you make your own thread if you're going to be putting updates. This one is for my tank.

Sent from my VS986 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom