75 gallon planted build thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
fishfanatic said:
I have some questions about how to run 2 canister filters on 1 tank.
How should I position the in and out tubes? Should both the intakes be in the middle and the outputs of opposite sides of the tank for eachother (or the opposite of that?). Or should both intakes be on the same side of the tank and the outputs on the opposite side?

^no comment?^
I also want to name off a stocking list idea and see what you think. I will put a * next to the ones I already have and then the number of them that I already have:
8 Kerri tetras *3
3 silver hatchetfish (maybe marbled)*1
8 gardneri killifish (3 males and 5 females) *3
2 SAE*2
1GBR (female)*1
Some amano shrimp*4-6
10 nerite snails*10
2 kribensis (pair)

I have some questions about how to run 2 canister filters on 1 tank.
How should I position the in and out tubes? Should both the intakes be in the middle and the outputs of opposite sides of the tank for eachother (or the opposite of that?). Or should both intakes be on the same side of the tank and the outputs on the opposite side?

I set mine up like a stream....Both intakes on one side(one high/one low) and outflows on opposite side(higher mount for one with low intake and lower mount for one with high intake).

Keeps debri moving along and my fish enjoy swimming into the current...Most of my fish are from fast moving waters so it suites them.

I am looking at buying a new light for my tank. The light can be no longer than 47 inches no taller than 3 inches an no wider than 17 inches. Is that possible? I also want it to be a 4 bulb (T5HO)
If it is any bigger than the dimensions I gave then I have to make/not use the current hood. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Any ideas how to cork a 1" hole in the bottom of a tank? I tried screwing a PVC cap on to it but there isn't enough thread to stop the water. Should I wrap the treads in a bunch of Teflon tape or what should I do?

fishfanatic said:
Any ideas how to cork a 1" hole in the bottom of a tank? I tried screwing a PVC cap on to it but there isn't enough thread to stop the water. Should I wrap the treads in a bunch of Teflon tape or what should I do?

Try the Teflon tape an don't be stingy with it
Let me know how that works

So I tried wrapping the threads in Teflon tape but that led to anther discovery, it isn't the threads that are letting water out it is the silicone that is holding the PVC pipe in place. So now I can ether a) remove the overflow and really silicone the drain hole. b) silicone all of the over flow slots (see picture). c) any other ideas?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110716_092045.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110716_092045.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 121
ryan-peddle said:
Better price then the first but and I like the look of it better they are both t5 so I would go with this one

And this one is in stock! ;)
I am assuming that my tank would be "high light" with this fixture, but I don't know. I cant tell in the picture if it has individual bulb reflectors or not. Maybe someone that knows more about this fixture will chime in...

fishfanatic said:
And this one is in stock! ;)
I am assuming that my tank would be "high light" with this fixture, but I don't know. I cant tell in the picture if it has individual bulb reflectors or not. Maybe someone that knows more about this fixture will chime in...

Good reviews and I am pretty sure it's just one big reflector

ryan-peddle said:
Good reviews and I am pretty sure it's just one big reflector

I pm mfdrookie and he said those fixtures have been known to light on fire randomly... I wont be buying those! Time to go back and research to find a new website...

ryan-peddle said:
I an sure you will be happy with it now for the worst part of this hobby waiting for a mail order lol

+1 I am not a very patient person. My mom says that I drive her crazy when I am waiting for something in the mail. I literally pace while I look out the window waiting for the ups truck :D

I know I check the post office box 5 times a day even Sunday lol though the mail comes at 12pm everyday and if I am waiting for fed ex i pace a hole in the floor

My light came!!! It only took 2 days! It seems nice. I set it up on my 40 gallon and it is really bright (also really green)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110721_141653.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110721_141653.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 76
Back
Top Bottom