8' plywood tank (200+gallons)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok have a few screws still needing tightened down but here it is ready for a skin which it honestly looks fine without I think lol. I have no worries either about the stand holding the weight, my floor would collapse before this behemoth haha

Wow you did a great job on that matt! Looks awesome!!

Looks great man! A lot of blood sweat and tears went into it from the looks of it.

As far as the ledge, I always built my stands with a few inches extra around the tank to set fish food/supplies. It's really up to you if you want to sink that kind of money into the ledge. If it were me I would probably just use some of your 3/4" plywood and stain it and poly it.

Thanks guys :) I'm definitely gonna put a 6" ledge in the front, just gotta decide whether or not I wanna drop that kinda money on the granite. If not I could always call my old flooring crew and get some nice tile for cheap from their leftovers from a job lol. Also, spent last night wood glueing all the weight supporting seams. Once I skin this thing I could probably park a truck on it haha

So while thinking about this ledge and how I gonna put it on I decided to make this easier to move if/when the day comes I'm gonna use bolts to fastened to the framing that way I can go inside the stand and take out the bolts so the entire ledge can be easily removed. I wanna make sure everything about this is thought out before its to late to fix something. Another thing I'm considering is putting extra supports on the sides and then drill through the stand once its skinned and put trim over the holes. This way when I move it I will be able to just remove the trim and bolt handles to the stand to move it with one person on each side with no issues of smashing fingers in door ways lmao.

I was gonna paint it black and light stain trim buuutttt. Ive been thinking some more and with the granite ledge and the "dark" look to an SA style tank I may go with a dark mahogany or red mahogany mixed with a little dark so the entire thing is stained.. opinions?

So here is the removable panel from my 20 high stand. I was thinking something like this but a darker trim maybe the same color as the panel.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121203_134111.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121203_134111.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 67
Depending on the granite and its color either the dark would look good so would the red depends on the granite the color is kindve hard to see in the pic still looks good

I was gonna go with a light color granite. Grey or a shade darker. Here's a look at the stand a lil better

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121203_134637.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121203_134637.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 74
Back
Top Bottom