8' plywood tank (200+gallons)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm about 5 minutes out of Pittsburgh to the north. The title is changed too!

I'm following too! lol I'm in yeadon pa and it's cool to see guys not too far from me into this stuff. I'm about to get a 180g so I definitely will be looking into this thread and the stocking thread. One question for you guys i'm getting a stand too, should i look into bracing it more? I'm super paranoid about this tank lol.

Getting the rest of the 2x4s now so ill have this part of the stand done. Next step skin the stand and then build the tank. I'm gonna need 6 4x8 boards of plywood for this which is gonna be a bit pricey for 3/4+" hardwood.

Why so thick for the skin? I used 1/4 birch for my 30 long and wainscoting on my 75g. It helped make everything a little more sturdy. Three quarters just seems excessive and expensive to me.

Last edited:
Well it'll span 4' with no bracing so I don't want it to be flimsy at all especially where the doors will be. I'm gonna have double doors for each side so I can have about a 3.5' opening to get things in and out and one board for the stand will be for the surface of the top and inside of the stand so I want those to be thick too. I know I could go thinner for the skin but I'm already needing 4 boards of 3/4 so ill just get 6 lol

So I'd like your opinions on this. When finishing the stand I'm thinking of maybe doing a 6" granite "ledge" along the front kinda like a bar. What do you guys think, ledge or no ledge? The little add on will probably cost another $200 due to the granite but I'm kinda liking the idea lol

So just the one opinion on the ledge lol has anyone done something like this on their DIY stands and if so you got pics?

One more charge on the drill and she'll be done lol

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121130_204406.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121130_204406.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 100
Oh its been hell but just means ill take that much more pride in it knowing the only power tool ill have pretty much is a drill which I still use the hand screw driver to put screws in between charges lmao going old school on this bad boy haha

vance1013 said:
Looks real good yah hand screwing in nails sucks lol

Never known anyone to try and screw in nails lol! I'm just messing, we know what you meant

Ok have a few screws still needing tightened down but here it is ready for a skin which it honestly looks fine without I think lol. I have no worries either about the stand holding the weight, my floor would collapse before this behemoth haha

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20121201_144320.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121201_144320.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 90
  • ForumRunner_20121201_144341.jpg
    ForumRunner_20121201_144341.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 99
Back
Top Bottom