A couple planted tank questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Keeping the thread on topic..... Boys, if you have a 10g it will give you many more options go tank mates. I wouldn't recommended any in a 2.5g. 3 snails with max is overstocked IMHO. You can use a clip on desk lamp for your cfl. I have one on each of my 7g, two 8g and 10g. If you want to see pics I can attach some.

Mumma.of.two said:
Keeping the thread on topic..... Boys, if you have a 10g it will give you many more options go tank mates. I wouldn't recommended any in a 2.5g. 3 snails with max is overstocked IMHO. You can use a clip on desk lamp for your cfl. I have one on each of my 7g, two 8g and 10g. If you want to see pics I can attach some.

Yeah why are we talking about other tanks..?

I would really like to set up the 10, but i dont know. Its not like itd be hard, but we cant have too many tanks running and have to get rid of some. Plus, wouldnt max eat the shrinp in a bigger tank too?

Id like to see, yes!

Gboy66 said:
Yeah why are we talking about other tanks..?

I would really like to set up the 10, but i dont know. Its not like itd be hard, but we cant have too many tanks running and have to get rid of some. Plus, wouldnt max eat the shrinp in a bigger tank too?

Id like to see, yes!

Not necessarily. It really depends. I have a Betta in an 8g with glass shrimp (as small as cherries) and he shares wafers with them. He's odd but it is possible. :)

image-2362572586.jpg

Cfl in DIY hood in 8g.

image-547927900.jpg

image-3428879866.jpg

Reading lamp with cfl over rip. (excuse mess having garage sale.)

image-2982811624.jpg

Desk lamp with cfl over 7g cube.

image-2868773671.jpg

image-4137903097.jpg

Clip on desk lamp with cfl over 2.3g.

Mumma.of.two said:
Not necessarily. It really depends. I have a Betta in an 8g with glass shrimp (as small as cherries) and he shares wafers with them. He's odd but it is possible. :)

Cfl in DIY hood in 8g.

Reading lamp with cfl over rip. (excuse mess having garage sale.)

Desk lamp with cfl over 7g cube.

Clip on desk lamp with cfl over 2.3g.

Ha really? I wish my betta was like that!! Is there any way bettas could become more calm over time?

Ok, i see! But would a lamp be able to get light to the whole tank? Maybe my fixture will accept a cfl..i doubt it though.

What stock is in the 2.3 gallon anyways?

Problem is, were starting the 66 salt, still have the 30 salt we have to sell, the 40 g that we have to sell, and this tank! I cant set up another, but mark my words i will set up the 10 once the ONLY tank we still have is the 66, all salt and everything transfered and sold

Maybe if they are really, really old. I had a 4.5 year old betta that shared a tank with fancy guppies for a while.
Should be able to if you position it right. If the tanks long you could use two, one at each end.
It's got a single male betta in it. He was a rescue from a LFS display cube. He freaks in anything bigger unfortunately.
I think you'll find that if you set up the 10g instead of the 2.5g it will be less maintenance.

Mumma.of.two said:
Maybe if they are really, really old. I had a 4.5 year old betta that shared a tank with fancy guppies for a while.
Should be able to if you position it right. If the tanks long you could use two, one at each end.
It's got a single male betta in it. He was a rescue from a LFS display cube. He freaks in anything bigger unfortunately.
I think you'll find that if you set up the 10g instead of the 2.5g it will be less maintenance.

Haha okay i guess he wont mellow out any time soon.

I see, sounds good. I would like to set it up, but just not now.. Poor betta! Freaks out? Haha

How so?

Sulks, then flares and spazzes out lol. Goes off his food also. He's a funny little fish.

More water = less water changes especially if you only have a betta and shrimp in it.

Mumma.of.two said:
Sulks, then flares and spazzes out lol. Goes off his food also. He's a funny little fish.

More water = less water changes especially if you only have a betta and shrimp in it.

Haha, that is funny.

I see, sounds good. Well, we will see. Austin b is nice enough to hip me some plants, so i might get some new ones next week!

If i ever see some rcs or amanos in the store, i will buy one just to see how it goes. The ghost shrimp is still alive so who knows what might happen.

That's all you can do. I have heard ember tetra are good nano fish. You may want to look into those or someone can chime in. If you are looking at fish as well.

DRad2003 said:
That's all you can do. I have heard ember tetra are good nano fish. You may want to look into those or someone can chime in. If you are looking at fish as well.

I would go with embers possibly if i set up the 10!

Sounds like you've got a lot of reason to :p

MABJ said:
Sounds like you've got a lot of reason to :p

Haha heres an idea. My sister comes home from college tomorrow for the weekend. Maybe what i'll do is give the tank to her to take home with her, and maybe set up a ten gallon! That would solve everything i guess.

Oh you're at college? So am I. I've got two tanks running right now and I HAVE to tear one down.

I'm looking for people to sell my low light cuttings to so I don't have to compost them :|

I might go the LFS and just see if she wants to pick em up on store credit.

Gboy66 said:
Haha heres an idea. My sister comes home from college tomorrow for the weekend. Maybe what i'll do is give the tank to her to take home with her, and maybe set up a ten gallon! That would solve everything i guess.

That would be great if you can start a 10G!!!!! Just make sure your sister is able to do water changes on a regular basis:D oh, and I'd get rid of 2 snails, unless your sister can regularly feed them. But regardless, I think one nerite will be more than enough for the tank. I had one nerite in my 10G, and he eventually died from hunger:( but definitely go with the 10G if possible!!

MABJ said:
Oh you're at college? So am I. I've got two tanks running right now and I HAVE to tear one down.

I'm looking for people to sell my low light cuttings to so I don't have to compost them :|

I might go the LFS and just see if she wants to pick em up on store credit.

Oh no, my older sister is in college!

Dang man..ill take them off your hands:D jk, the lfs will definitly give you credit

Austin.b said:
That would be great if you can start a 10G!!!!! Just make sure your sister is able to do water changes on a regular basis:D oh, and I'd get rid of 2 snails, unless your sister can regularly feed them. But regardless, I think one nerite will be more than enough for the tank. I had one nerite in my 10G, and he eventually died from hunger:( but definitely go with the 10G if possible!!

Ha, i'd keep the livestock! Would the betta be less likely to eat the shrimps in a 10 gal?? What other nano schoolers could i add?

Mumma.of.two said:
http://www.franksaquarium.com/nanofish.htm
Here's a pretty good list. Keep in mind not all are compatible with bettas. Some others are neons (including green and gold) or harlequin rasboras.

Wow i want some scarlet badis! Too bad the betta might be with them!!

So i talked to the sis, she says shell be home soon anyways, so just to keepthe tank at home...:/ i guess im going to have to think of a different way to do this...

Are you talking about the black pad style betta heaters? I've seen those, they look like an interesting option and under $10 bucks as I recall. I'm a fan of winter insurance. This time of year it isn't a necessity but when cold weather rolls around it's sensible. I never used one myself.

Ive seen those around. Ive never used them myself, but Ive gotten fairly positive reports on them. No theres a different heater, mine lasted about 5 years.

Back
Top Bottom