A couple planted tank questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Austin.b said:
I love my scarle badis, but I'm almost positive the betta would bully them.

Most (not all) Nano Fish should NOT be mixed with larger fish. They cannot compete for food and some would hide constantly. Scarlet Badis are SLOW deliberate hunters. They need a species only tank or carefully selected tank mates. Or they may be bullied or just starve.

So I'd find a home for 2 of the Snails and give up on adding ANY other fish in the 2.5g with the Betta. Shrimp are the only addition I'd consider if it was my tank.

Yup i agree ^, im over thinking of fish really, the betta will always be it.

Shrimp, i now think he can get along with. Yes he is a bit mean, but he hasnt harmed the ghost since. Now i just need some RCS to see if he will attackthem or not. Too bad nobody has them!

Okay, algae questions. The green algae is going strong coursair! What can i do? I dont want to scrub it off yet because i need it as nerite food for the time being, but it isnt going away AT ALL. lights are on 6 hrs. What else is there to do really?

You could put some kind of screen or filter over the light to make it less intense.

George9 said:
I think it would. Is the algae on the glass?

Glass, leaves, and wood. Not alot obviously, but i want to catch this early! My last planted tank suffered to crazy algae, and this has too change. The berites are eating it, but slow, and ill be giving 2 away soon

Gboy66 said:
Glass, leaves, and wood. Not alot obviously, but i want to catch this early! My last planted tank suffered to crazy algae, and this has too change. The berites are eating it, but slow, and ill be giving 2 away soon

I'd try a screen or something and see how it works. Just until you get a little co2 goin, where if done right, should kill the algae

Coursair said:
Also frequent PWCs. Keep Nitrates down will help also. Plus more plants will compete with the algae. Excel will help also.

Ok, im doing pwc's every weekend, and really beed to purchase excel!

Austinb (bless him!!) is shipping me some plants today or this weekend, so the tank should get filled in soon. The reason i didnt want to get plants at the start is because i didnt want them to be infested with algae!! I want to solve this problem first!

Gboy66 said:

Austinb (bless him!!) is shipping me some plants today or this weekend, so the tank should get filled in soon. The reason i didnt want to get plants at the start is because i didnt want them to be infested with algae!! I want to solve this problem first!

Well I'd even like a steady supply of algae for those nerites.

MABJ said:
Well I'd even like a steady supply of algae for those nerites.

Not long term though, i'd like to solve this first. Dont worry about the nerites, 2 will be gone soon okay?

Gboy66 said:

Austinb (bless him!!) is shipping me some plants today or this weekend, so the tank should get filled in soon.

That's your next weapon against algae. Lots of plants will be a bug help. That, your snails and good old fashioned time.

CorallineAlgae said:
That's your next weapon against algae. Lots of plants will be a bug help. That, your snails and good old fashioned time.

I will be trying to set up diy co2 today. Will the plants really help that much?

Do you know anything about co2 diy coralline?

Gboy66 said:
I will be trying to set up diy co2 today. Will the plants really help that much?

Do you know anything about co2 diy coralline?

I did that for about a year before going pressurized. I don't have any experience using DIY co2 in tanks under 55 gallons. Honestly, lots of people who have planted nano tanks are fine without co2. You could certainly try it. There's a lot of great info about it in the DIY section of this site. I would give Excel and Comprehensive, at half doses, a shot for about a month after you have all your plants in. See how the new plants and your snails work out after they are established. Patience is often rewarded in our hobby. When are your new plants coming in?

Co2 is only necessary for those with very high lights. Yours doesn't need it.

I was just saying for myself, I'd enjoy a bit of algae.

Get plants in there and keep your nerites. Soon enough there will be very little algae

MABJ said:
Co2 is only necessary for those with very high lights. Yours doesn't need it.

I was just saying for myself, I'd enjoy a bit of algae.

Get plants in there and keep your nerites. Soon enough there will be very little algae

CO2 is also good for the plants and helps them outcompete the algae easier. It also is for impatient folk who want plants to grow faster ;)

I use Excel for Carbon, but I only dose my tank that doesn't have Shrimp. I'm paranoid that way. I don't mention it, because I'm not dosing on a really regular basis.

Nerites will strip his tank and starve if he's not careful, that's why we advised only one. I just lost one, he'd eaten all the algae in my 5g Betta Bowfront and I forgot to rotate him to a tank with algae. Poor thing. Nerites eat algae fast !! My tanks typically don't have huge amounts, esp since I got Nerites. Mine won't eat anything but algae so far :(

Wait i thought we were recommending co2 before?? Haha ok, im still going to try.

Plants might be rotala indica, tiawan moss, crypts! Also, maybe some ramshorn snails!

I guess i will keep the nerites till algae is gone? There is alot left.

Gboy66 said:
Wait i thought we were recommending co2 before?? Haha ok, im still going to try.

Plants might be rotala indica, tiawan moss, crypts! Also, maybe some ramshorn snails!

I guess i will keep the nerites till algae is gone? There is alot left.

Ah, I love rotala indica!

The tanks gonna look great :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom