A few questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AlmonyMatt

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 55G tank that I decided to place Mbuna Cichlids in. I have 14 as of a few days ago. I have a glo-fish and the plants also colorful decor. I am trying to make as many hideouts that match the tank well. But really my question is, All of my fish tend to stay all on the bottom of the tank but very healthy. I would like to know how to get them move active throughout the tank including near the top.

Also my water is slightly cloudy. I can't tell if it's the glass inside or the actual water. I have been trying some clear water solution but doesn't seem to be working.

I will take a picture of the tank tonight.

Hard to say about the fish behavior from the details listed. Could you list the fish in there and post those pics. that will help.

What kind of filtration do you have on there?

I have the standard power filtration. I have a dual and a single on the 55G. Lots of filtration. I don't have many plants or rocks near the top of the tank. I have many juvenile Mbuna Cichlids and 4 adult Blue Dolphins

I'll need pics.
Is standard filtrationa hang on back or canister? How are they packed? For the cloudy water you might be able to add some packing floss to help that issue. Do you test the water quality and do a PWC regularly?

Give them some time to get used to the tank... You don't need chemicals or anything like that... Just good filtration and let them do their thing... In about a week they'll be pretty used to the tank... That's my suggestion jus don't mess with them and let them be:)

I have a Topfin 60 and a Topfin 40 both on the tank. Both are behind the tank hang-on filters. I just changed the actual filters tonight. A little dirty but not bad.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387336727.018963.jpg
Very hard to see due to bright colors but hopefully it's goo enough

Try and use a little more activated carbon , and it kinda looks like maybe it the lights that could be the problem as we'll , or do a water change and see if it clears it up . As well you wanna make sure your filters can handle the bio load.

You are a water keeper now. It's time to enter the wonderful world of water filtration. I'm saying it now:). You can never have too much filtration.
I'm guessing those 2 'hob's' have a simple carbon cartridge that gets replaced every month or so? That's not gonna cut it.
Your 55g has a big bio load. I'd tackle it with a pair of fluval 306 canisters. They will also help create a better circulating flow to prevent stagnant water in your rectangle.
It may sound like a time and money commitment to you. It's time well spent.

Check eBay, amazon, craigslist and your local aquatic society. Worth a shot to not pay retail cost.

once your water is right and more rock structure is put into the aquascape, your fish will become active.

It will take me some time to pick them up. They are very expensive. But well worth it if I get proper filtration.

Is there a way to get better filtration with the units I have or adding another larger unit to what I have. Those are very expensive and I'm not sure I will have the money for them as of now due to the holidays

I haven't used the whisper hob before. I'm guessing they have a similar floss/carbon cartridge as the aqueon hob requires. If so there isn't room in them to put in a bio media.
Don't add more fish. I think you are fully stocked as is for a 55g, but you certainly are over stocked with its current filtration.
Somehow try and get 1 canister to put along with the 2 hobs.

Check out my post on your other thread. You added to many fish at once and your tank is going through a cycle. do water changes until you are no longer seeing ammonia.

Also are you sure you have all mbuna the only fish I can see in your pic just up and to the right of the glowing green plant doesn't look like mbuna.

Back
Top Bottom