Anacharis with Translucent Leaves

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AmberG

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I'm looking for help in finding out what my Anacharis needs. I have a 10g fw aquarium that is moderately planted with Wisteria, Java Fern, Java Moss, Merimo Moss, mini-Amazon Sword, Hornwort, and Anacharis. I set the tank up in mid-July. My lighting is 2 Aqueon 10w cfls that are 50/50 10,000k Daylight / True Actinic Blue Light. Test kit says 10 ppm Nitrate, 0 Nitrite, 150 ppm GH, 180 KH, and pH 8. I live in Indiana where our tap water is all hard water, which is what I set up the tank with, but my water changes are done with RO water. Fish stock includes 5-7 guppies (some guppies keep dying, but I have 4 that are hardy survivors: two females and two Endlers), a Cory Cat and an Algae Eater.

The Anacharis has been in the tank for almost 2 months, and is sprouting roots and new shoots. But this past week, all of the growth has started to become translucent, especially the older growth. I think I've attached a couple of pictures to help show the problem. Is my tank lacking nutrient(s) or need more/different lighting? Is this normal for Anacharis? The hornwort is shedding terribly, but I figure it is due to the time of year (fall) and I'm not really planning on keeping the hornwort anyway (I just had it for fry cover until I got other plants established).

Thanks for your advice!

Attachments

• Anacharis1.jpg
    Anacharis1.jpg
    177.5 KB · Views: 208
  • Anacharis2.jpg
    Anacharis2.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 161
So...when you mean it's translucent, are you saying that it's basically turning to mush?

I've never seen anacharis go translucent but I do know that the older leaves die off and leave a huge mess if you don't hurry up and wipe away the dead leaves.

Personally I like to cut it short and watch the new growth, usually the older parts from the stem that were growing at the store die off because you have better lighting at home.

Try floating them first and seeing how the new growth looks, if it's bright and green then you're fine, just cut away the old stuff.

It might also have gone through a late acclimation.

Did you also add something like excel or something? Excel will melt anacharis.

It didn't seem like they were mush, but as time passed, the guppies started eating the leaves once they had turned translucent. And now, well, my anachris has been decimated, so I think that the translucence was probably the leaf turning to mush which made it attractive food for the guppies. No, I haven't treated the water for anything. Anyway, I've since found out that our lfs can no longer sell anachris due to it being an invasive species, so I will be replacing it with other plants. Thanks for your advice!

Your Anacharis

Hello A...

Ideally, you want lights that come closest to natural daylight at 5500K, so aquarium 6500K bulbs are recommended for planted tanks.

Anacharis is a stem plant and stem plants in lower light will grow best if it's floated close to the light source. This way, the length of the plant is exposed to the light.

Aquatic plants will do better in water with a pH above 7. They prefer acidic water. Your water is fine as far as pH. The rest of the water chemistry is unimportant. The plants will adjust.

Plants need consistent levels of phosphates, sulfates and nitrates. The best way of getting these nutrients to the plants is through large, frequent water changes, with nothing more than treated tap water.

A 10 G tank is a challenge to most water keepers. There really isn't enough water in a cube this small to dilute mistakes in tank management and to maintain a balanced water chemistry. This may be the cause of the problem. The water properties aren't stable. This is likely the reason for the fish deaths.

As you get more into the water keeping hobby, you begin to understand the importance of keeping fish in a larger tank. I started serious fish keeping with a 30 G and there was enough water in it, that the fish were able to survive my mistakes.

Just some thoughts.

B

Just to clarify, I believe the term acidic refers to a PH below 7. Above 7 would be alkaline, so plants needing a PH of 7 or above would prefer a more akaline water environment.

My pH Error

Hello rc...

You are correct and I'm mistaken. A pH of 7 is neutral. A pH reading below 7 is acidic or soft. A pH above 7 is basic, alkaline or hard water. I hope my error in my previous post didn't confuse anyone.

Good catch!

Mea culpa!

B

Back
Top Bottom