Anubias Care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SlyDifference

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Tomorrow I was planning to go grab some new plants for my 20 gallon aquarium, and I like the look of anubiases? anubi?

Anyway, I was wondering about how to take care of them. I read a lot of conflicting stuff online, so I'd like some clarification as to how I take care of them. Are they floaters? Can I attach them to rocks/DW? Can they grow planted? What's a rhizome? And all other caring tips.

Thanks!

They're probably the easiest plant to grow in tanks. They do best when tied to driftwood or decor where their roots can anchor, but they can also be placed on the substrate as long as the rhizome is not covered. The roots growing diagonally down can go into the substrate. The rhizome is the long horizontal root-like part that the stems and smaller roots grow out of. I'd recommend placing anubias' away from the surface or in more shaded areas as their leaves are very slow growing and can attract algae growth.

Last edited:
I keep Anubias in my shrimp/snail tank and if your plants are grown immersed the leaves will die off and be replaced with "water" leaves. Just a BTW :)

Also, I dose some FloraPride, Liquid CO2, and use the occasional root tab.

Hope I helped, Raymond.

So it is best to not leave it in the light too much? Doesn't sound like a problem, I'll shade it with some amazon swords. Thanks everyone for your quick help!

Yeah the swords would be a good idea. You could get a reptimed timer and set them to have 10-12 hours of light per day. Adjust as needed (less time if you start growing algae). Also make sure you are using the correct spectrum bulb! I use Floramax bulb and it works very well.

And I am glad to be of service. :)

Back
Top Bottom