Apistogramma care/info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Just added 2 bunches of cambomba and a bunch of java fern. I also added 3 more pandas. I brought a brine shrimp hatchery for food!

Here it is! Current stock, with apistogramma added:
8 cardinal tetra
8 rummy nose tetra
5 cories
5 khulis
6 apistogramma agassizi 2m 4f

Attachments

• image-2900930897.jpg
    image-2900930897.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 67
Sorry about the reflection. Yes I've invested about £80 In new stuff for the tank. I can't wait for the apisto's to arrive. Hopefully they'll like the tank. There's 3 caves, you can only see 2 in the photo though. When the LFS has the fish in, I'll ask if they're wild or tank bred. I thought it was a good idea to buy the hatchery so I can have some live food to give them. I'm worried about the khulis now, since I'll barely ever see them. But yeah, I really hope my tank looks okay for the apistogramma

Sorry about the reflection. Yes I've invested about £80 In new stuff for the tank. I can't wait for the apisto's to arrive. Hopefully they'll like the tank. There's 3 caves, you can only see 2 in the photo though. When the LFS has the fish in, I'll ask if they're wild or tank bred. I thought it was a good idea to buy the hatchery so I can have some live food to give them. I'm worried about the khulis now, since I'll barely ever see them. But yeah, I really hope my tank looks okay for the apistogramma

You ve done a good job, i like how you've set it up. I saw apisto,s in my lfs yesterday they're beautiful looking fish. My kuhli can be the same they seem to find somewhere to hide and don't want to move lol

I'll be getting pictures when they come! Beautiful looking fish. If I get fry I would be really happy because down where I live, they're practically un-heard of.no fish store carries them so they're like gold-dust

Okay, I came up with a feeding schedule with the help of a LFS employee.

MONDAY: frozen food

TUESDAY: live brine shrimp

WEDNESDAY: flake food

THURSDAY: frozen

FRIDAY: live food

SATURDAY: frozen/flake (what do you guys think? If any food at all?)

SUNDAY: live food

I wouldn't use that feeding schedule. Feed high quality flakes or pellets everyday. This will be better for your apistos and cheaper for you. Then once or twice a week cut back on the dry food a little and add some frozen or live food to the dry ad well. You can go maybe once a week or every other week with one day of live food. You get better overall nutrition from new life spectrum or omega one than you do from live and frozen foods. So make sure that dry food is your staple and live and frozen are the "ice cream" for your apistos.

Okay, have some flake food and pellets. He said that of I wanted their colour to "pop" I should feed them live foods instead or more often than flake food.
MONDAY:frozen foods
TUESDAY:flake
WEDNESDAY:frozen
THURSDAY:flake
FRIDAY:flake
SATURDAY:live
SUNDAY: flake

Sounds better. Their colors are gonna pop when they are eating good healthy foods. When you feed frozen feed just a little flake or pellet with it. Then keep you live food just live. This will give them the best healthy diet IMO

Since I have used my almond leave extract ( I started coding this since Saturday and have dosed around four times. This was 10ml per water change but on one I did 20ml) I have tested my pH twice, just to double check, and its showing like 6.4-6.6 from 7.4. I lost a rummy today so the first thing I do is test after every fish death. I'm pretty sure this is the reason. Even though this is the pH I want I feel it dropped too suddenly? Anyone have any opinions about this? Since I want my apisto's in a natural pH. I'll attach a pic since it looks almost see-through

On the other forum I'm on, they suggest that my bristles, rummy nose, cardinals and cories aren't good with my apisto's? Now I'm stuck

On the other forum I'm on, they suggest that my bristles, rummy nose, cardinals and cories aren't good with my apisto's? Now I'm stuck

Well I think its more along the lines of them eating or disturbing there eggs. I have rummynose tetras and cories in with my apistos and there fine.

All are fine with apistos corys will get your eggs though. They are notorious egg hunters like most catfish and carp

If I put them in a breeding hatchery would that suffice? And if I purchased some methelyne blue ( how do you spell it?) could I put it in the whole tank?

You can if you would like. I would get a separate tank that you won't mind being dyed blue. Everything including silicone and rocks will be blue. Also it will kill any live plants!

You can if you would like. I would get a separate tank that you won't mind being dyed blue. Everything including silicone and rocks will be blue. Also it will kill any live plants!

Oh great. Lol I'm not allowed to setup a separate tank... Would a plastic container be okay? Just while they're eggs and they hatch. I could put in a air stone too

Back
Top Bottom