Aquarium for my dad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Japola44

Aquarium Advice Freak
My dad takes me to petsmart to pick up frozen bloodworms a lot, and every time he wonders over to the tinfoil barbs, pictus catfish, and bala sharks. He points at them and ask for me to put one in my tank. Time after time i have to say no, and explain how the 1inch per gallon rule only applies to community tanks, and how my bichirs are going to soon be the only fish in my 55gal. So, i offered to my dad that i would take care of his own aquarium were he could put whatever fish in there he wants.
My dad really likes bala's, tinfoils and pictus catfish.
I read tinfoils are schooling fish, but would one be fine alone or just in a pair?
also, how big of an aquarium could fit those three fish. I would like to get him one for his birthday (in april). Then help him cycle it and pick out fish ect. ect.
If the aquarium would have to be more than say 70gals then it probably wouldnt work out. I was thinking he would really like oscars, or perhaps even a pirana (as far as i know they are legal in colorado, because i have seen them at the lfs). Not trying to make my dad sound like a mad man, but i'm sure he would enjoy watching live feedings.
To quote my father, "I want a fish that can hold his own."
What kind of aquarium and fish would you suggest?

Question is, how much $ is too much?

75G, 3 bala sharks, 5 tinfoil barbs, a pictus cat, and a rainbow shark. Probably should go for a pleco as well. Would make an interesting tank. Use lots of driftwood too.

Seeing as i have a job and, im only 15. I have no were to spend the money. By april i can probably save up enough moeny to get the 75gal tank and stand. I can get driftwood from a creek near by where i keep my horse. I probably wouldn't have to pay for the fish. Unless i got the tank or stand used I'd have to figure out a way to get the filter

defintly get him a pleco, they can defintly hold there own lol I think thats an awesome gift for your dad by the way

If i got a pleco i want something that would be pretty impressive looking not just a normal one any suggestions?

IMO....75 gal for 3 balas, 5 tins, and a pictus is too small. I would say 125 min. once they start to mature.

Back
Top Bottom