Artesia's 60 Gallon Goldfish Tank Redecoration Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArtesiaWells

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay, everyone -- as most of you know, I have been struggling with a "theme" for this new Marineland 60 gallon we recently set up, which houses four fancy goldies, and I figured this was as good a time as any to start a "journal" thread in this photography section of the forum to document the progression of designing the 'scape; I don't really want to label this an "aquascape" per se because it's really not, as we're not doing live plants and will more than likely end up with some collection of cheesy, chintzy pieces no matter the theme, but "theme redesign" I think is the best way to refer to it...

At any rate, you guys and gals know the drill from my other thread -- my last 60 gallon, before it cracked and flooded our home, had a "pirate" kind of thing going on, which, embarassingly enough, is my favorite kind of "theme" for a fish tank if done right and un-child-like; as a centerpiece, we had a "Top Fin Schooner Bow" with white fabric sails (that collected brown diatoms like Pam Anderson attracts insurance quotes from plastic surgeons) from Petsmart, and then we added a "pirate treasure cave" piece of decor which was kinda cool as well as a skull and a tropical "reef" thing in the corner. When we lost that tank, my wife said she didn't want to do the pirate thing again, so I thought we were going to go the "natural" route, but with artificial decoration pieces...as such, we picked up Petsmart's "tree stump root" piece, natural colored "polished pebble/river rock" gravel (as opposed to the blue gravel we had with the pirate setup) and green plastic plants.

Fast-forward to this new Marineland 60 gallon we eventually picked up almost a year after the first 60 gallon cracked (the four goldfish stayed alive and well in a 10 gallon I set up for them and which I did DAILY 50% water changes on, never missing a day -- the fish are still alive today): We scrapped the idea of going natural because my wife didn't like the idea of putting in the logs, driftwood, stumps, etc. and was just against the whole natural scaping for reasons that are beyond me (I think it makes a tank look...well...natural and realistic, so I'm with most of y'all on that one) and instead turned toward what she wanted to do: Some kind of "Asian/Zen" theme. As such, we bought certain pieces like a small "Asian gazebo," a three-arch bridge and, most recently, a "Bonsai tree"; what I was personally aiming for was a layout something like this, but without the "dragon bubbler" statue you see on the left (we have the same bridge you see in the right corner):

pPETS-6704003dt.jpg

After recently adding THIS Bonsai tree:

pPETS-8371162dt.jpg

the theme just doesn't seem like it's coming together, at all, and I was ready to scrap it, but the missus just doesn't want to give up on this theme. I placed this Bonsai tree to the left of that three-arch bridge, but it's just not working, instead looking really, really awkward (I'll try to get some recent shots of the tank up with the Bonsai tree in place)...and so now I need some assistance with trying to make this all look right (of course, we need a lot more plants to fill in and "build up" this very tall 60 gallon)...

Let me start by sharing some pics of what the tank pretty much looks like right now:

Attachments

• 035.jpg
    035.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 206
  • 034.jpg
    034.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 1,449
  • 033.jpg
    033.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 323
  • 032.jpg
    032.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 187
So trying to stick with the zen theme after all, huh? I think you can pull it together! Try and get some shots of the tank as it looks now so we can all see it as it is and try to gives one pointers. Looking at the inspiration picture, I can think of two things that really give that tank the zen feel yours is missing - the type of plants and the background. I think if you could find a very very dark red (nearly black) background it would help a lot. Think of the shade of red common to lots of budda statuettes. The plant in particular that I think really pulls the look together in the example pic are the kind of bushy looking ones, like the one to the far right.

Also, the Pam Anderson joke was pretty funny...

As you can see, we have that three-arch bridge off to the left with the Asian "gazebo" piece off to the right; directly to the left of the bridge, in that bottom left corner of the tank, is where the new Bonsai tree sits, its branches kind of "reaching over" the bridge, but as cool as this sounds from my description, it just doesn't look right...

Here's the thing about this Petsmart/Top Fin "three arch bridge" piece too: When my wife first picked this up and brought it home, I immediately thought "This would look much better -- with its 'old world stone look' -- in a castle/magical kind of theme/setup, with the bridge as the centerpiece 'connecting' two castle buildings...moreso than trying to make this look 'Asian'..."

So, let me explain what I was thinking -- THIS bridge:

pPETS-3761582dt.jpg

in the center of the tank, straight, with THESE castle pieces on EITHER SIDE of it, so the bridge is "connecting" them:
images

030172027291C.jpg

The thing is...I'm just not sure if I like the "castle/magical" thing as it kind of reminds me, quite honestly, of Disneyland's Main Street or perhaps something that just doesn't "fit" for an underwater scene; still -- the castle pieces seem like they would look better with this bridge we have now...

I still like the idea of a "natural shipwreck" layout, but that's really involved to get into right at this moment, so I will save my thoughts for a later time in the journal; as it stands right now, I want to try and do something with the "Asian" pieces we have in the tank at the moment, and would like all your input...

Okay, so, because this Bonsai tree doesn't seem to be working to the left of the bridge, we were toying with the idea of moving it completely to the other side of the tank so that it sits right next to the Asian gazebo, so that it looks like the gazebo is what the bridge is "connecting;" the bridge would still be at an angle, but now to the RIGHT of the tank, not the left. The other idea was to CENTER the bridge, as I envisioned with the castles, but instead move the gazebo to sit right next to, say, the RIGHT side of it, facing forward, while maybe the Bonsai tree goes to its LEFT...but this may cause some "centerpiece" issues as I was told you don't want something dead-on in the center for visual reasons...

Can anyone give me some feedback in terms of what I'm thinking here, and it could be with regard to ANY element I have discussed -- using the bridge between two castles instead, moving the bridge to the other side of the tank, moving the bridge to the center and putting the gazebo piece on one side of it, perhaps leaving the bridge where it is and trying, somehow to work that Bonsai tree next to it...?

This will be an ongoing journal thread, so as I think of more points, I will share them -- and I will routinely attempt to add pictures of the tank's progress, of course. For now, let's get some feedback/opinions/theme suggestions, etc!

:thanks: (y)

So trying to stick with the zen theme after all, huh?

Not sure, Al; I really like the idea of the shipwreck, but I just CANNOT sell her on it...

I think you can pull it together! Try and get some shots of the tank as it looks now so we can all see it as it is and try to gives one pointers.

I will do that, for sure...:)

Looking at the inspiration picture, I can think of two things that really give that tank the zen feel yours is missing - the type of plants and the background. I think if you could find a very very dark red (nearly black) background it would help a lot. Think of the shade of red common to lots of budda statuettes. The plant in particular that I think really pulls the look together in the example pic are the kind of bushy looking ones, like the one to the far right.

Indeed; I will consider the dark red/almost black background, though there is, again, one thing working against me...

The ol' ball and chain wants to do one of those "printed image/pic" backgrounds that depic some kind of underwater scape, not a solid colored one...:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Also -- those red bushy plants in the image you cite indeed look awesome...but I have not been able to find those ANYWHERE (Petsmart, questionably, doesn't sell them)...:nono:

Also, the Pam Anderson joke was pretty funny...

Indeed...:lol:

Check eBay! I have some that look somewhat similar and got them there. You may have to bunch some together, though to be the full look in the picture. I will try to take a good pic of them in a little while. And try explaining to your wife that the printed background pictures can look good only in a few situations - a mostly bare tank, or one that is decorated similarly to the background. As in, one with plants and driftwood can kind of add depth to a tank with similar plants and driftwood, but not really all that great in a tank with rocks or, say, a bridge like she wants for her zen theme... It will distract from the theme. Ever think of just putting one on while she is at work, lol?

Check eBay! I have some that look somewhat similar and got them there. You may have to bunch some together, though to be the full look in the picture. I will try to take a good pic of them in a little while. And try explaining to your wife that the printed background pictures can look good only in a few situations - a mostly bare tank, or one that is decorated similarly to the background. As in, one with plants and driftwood can kind of add depth to a tank with similar plants and driftwood, but not really all that great in a tank with rocks or, say, a bridge like she wants for her zen theme... It will distract from the theme. Ever think of just putting one on while she is at work, lol?

I'll check eBay...

And, I'll definitely slip one on (a background, that is) while she's at work...:brows:

What do you make of switching to the "castle" theme? Do you like these pieces?

I'll check eBay...

And, I'll definitely slip one on (a background, that is) while she's at work...:brows:

What do you make of switching to the "castle" theme? Do you like these pieces?

I'm not feeling the castle theme. For one, to me it only suits a little girl's princess theme tank. For another, it looks a little pointy to use with fancy goldfish. I would worry that they would hurt themselves on the tops of the castle. I would only consider castle like pieces if it was made to look like the underwater ruins of some sunken city, and those look pretty "dry land" to me. I was briefly considering sculpting some ruins for my 56 gallon but decided against it. The "theme" for the background of my 56 is very Lovecraftian, so I was thinking about trying to build something suggesting the ruined sunken city of R'lyeh, but I just went with a strange slate arrangement instead, and fairly natural decor.

And yeah, just slip one on and convince her that you *somehow* superglued it on, so it's staying. Don't have to actually superglue it though. Maybe just some good tape. Or you could always drain the water low enough to safely pull the tank away from the wall far enough to paint it, although that would be a bit difficult and take some time.

Does anyone like the idea of doing the "castle" theme, where the bridge would be in the center of the tank and those two castle pieces would be on either side of it? The remainder of the tank, I suppose, I would build up with lots of tall greenery...

Here are what some fish tanks look like with the so-called "magic castle" theme; please tell me what you think:

Best fish tank Spongebob, volcano, and castle - YouTube

Castle Cichlid Tank 03 Feeding - YouTube

90gl Fish tank kingdom - YouTube

Aquarium with Castle - YouTube

Wonderfalls large aquarium volcano and Baby Oscars - YouTube

Jim's Castle Community Fish Tank (HD) - YouTube

6 foot fishtank aquarium with castle and big fish - YouTube

55 Gallon Castle Cichlid Tank 01 - YouTube

Also, Alyxx -- you remember when we were discussing in my other thread about how that "tree stump" piece wasn't "Zen" at all? I removed it, but curiously, I stumbled across this video in which someone made a "Zen" tank and had that EXACT tree root piece, off to the right of this tank you'll see, from Petsmart that I had; tell me what you think:

Zen Buddha Goldfish Aquarium - YouTube

I'm not feeling the castle theme. For one, to me it only suits a little girl's princess theme tank. For another, it looks a little pointy to use with fancy goldfish. I would worry that they would hurt themselves on the tops of the castle.

I see your point and had a bit of those feelings myself; but even the Petco "Penn Plax" castle pieces, with the purplish coloring to them that I provided pics of, seem "little girlish" to you? You don't think the two pieces, interjoined by the bridge I already have, could be pulled off in a "mature" manner?

As for the points, I too was very concerned with those -- but when we actually picked up the pieces in the store, we didn't think they seemed that sharp to be honest...and our own member Convict had made some kind of suggestion to the fact of the fish wouldn't be harmed one way or another in my other thread...

Still, I am taking your concern into consideration; I just don't know what else to do with this bridge! :banghead:

Please have a look at some of the videos I provided and tell me if you still don't think this theme would work with goldfish (taking the sharp point element out of the equation just for a moment)...thanks!

Also, Alyxx -- you remember when we were discussing in my other thread about how that "tree stump" piece wasn't "Zen" at all? I removed it, but curiously, I stumbled across this video in which someone made a "Zen" tank and had that EXACT tree root piece, off to the right of this tank you'll see, from Petsmart that I had; tell me what you think:

Zen Buddha Goldfish Aquarium - YouTube

That tank does look pretty cool, but I think it is because of the symmetry of it all. The roots aren't particularly zen, but the symmetry is, if you catch my drift. I think you could work the piece into the look of the tank, but it would have to be done in a way that looks natural. It would be an accent to add in but not a key piece to getting the look you are after.

And I have to admit, some of those castle tanks do look pretty cool. It's not necessarily something I would do, but some look pretty good. Particularly the one with the blood parrots.

That tank does look pretty cool, but I think it is because of the symmetry of it all. The roots aren't particularly zen, but the symmetry is, if you catch my drift. I think you could work the piece into the look of the tank, but it would have to be done in a way that looks natural. It would be an accent to add in but not a key piece to getting the look you are after.

:banghead::banghead::banghead: LOL...so now I can actually consider getting that stump back into the mix? Holy Christ on a Saltine Cracker.....where would this go? Perhaps on the left of the tank, where it once was, while the bridge gets moved to the right next to the gazebo? But I still don't see where the root comes into play with "Zen"...

And I have to admit, some of those castle tanks do look pretty cool. It's not necessarily something I would do, but some look pretty good. Particularly the one with the blood parrots.

See what I mean? They are cool, aren't they? Yeah, that Chiclid tank looks amazing in my opinion....

Do you still think it's too "little girlish" to even consider? I mean, I would NOT be using neon colored castles or anything feminine in terms of decor approach -- it would be those "old world stone" castle pieces from Penn Plax that I provided pictures of, which would be "joined" by the bridge in the center of the aquarium...

I also wanted to discuss substrate sloping and shaping -- specifically, the well-known tendency to slope the substrate from high in the back to low in the front based on an age-old theory that has been passed down to hobbyists which suggests doing this allows collected debris from the back to "flow down" so it can easily be collected during water changes in the front...

Since that time, this "theory" has largely been dismissed and debunked, with modern hobbyists claiming debris doesn't actually "spill down" from the higher gravel or sand in the back of the tank to the front (though this approach does work when washing a car -- that is, if you park your car backwards on the driveway, the water will tend to run towards the front or down off the paint for easier drying...;)).

Still -- it is also argued that keeping a thicker, "higher" level of substrate towards the back and sides of the aquarium helps to add a sense of depth to the scape; I tried doing this when I first set the tank up but found that layering the gravel so that it was "higher" in back kind of looked silly to be honest and "too obvious." Then, there are people who feel the gravel bed is just going to get messed up by the fish and gravel vacuuming anyway, so why not just leave it semi-flat or simply alone?

What are everyone's thoughts on this theory? Should I try and fix my gravel bed so that it appears a bit higher in the back than in the front...or should it be the OTHER way around, where you may see the level higher, slightly in FRONT? Should the sides be "built up" with height as well?

I think either go level or low front high back. High front low back IMO would look odd. As for the sides, I like a high back corner. I think sloping can give the perception of depth. For planted tanks this can mean extra surface area for planting.

Goldies are good at leveling gravel. After vacuuming I would leave divots and small hills but overnight they would erase any traces of this.

I think the low sloping front for debris accumulation idea might only work with sand.

I think either go level or low front high back.

As always, thanks Fresh...and thanks for joining this new thread! (y)

So when you say "low front/high back," do you mean "building up the "back corners" a bit so that it looks kind of "raised" back there? Should I slope the bed so that the gravel appears to be coming towards a "thin middle point" in the front center of the aquarium? This would be nearly impossible with the narrow, loaded-with-bubblers-and-ornaments tank I have going on now, but...

Should I try and "build up" the sides too with higher lumps of substrate? And what do I do about my two bubble bars running along the back wall -- how would these work with thicker gravel layers being built up back there?

High front low back IMO would look odd.

I thought so too but I was throwing it out there because I thought I had read somewhere that some site actually suggested doing it this way; at any rate, I think it is kind of an asinine arrangement...I think I would stick to the high back/low front...;)

As for the sides, I like a high back corner. I think sloping can give the perception of depth. For planted tanks this can mean extra surface area for planting.

Okay, so this kind of answers the question I had for you above about the corners; I can slope so that the back corners of the tank are kind of higher than the rest?

Goldies are good at leveling gravel. After vacuuming I would leave divots and small hills but overnight they would erase any traces of this.

I know...:rolleyes: :fish2:

I think the low sloping front for debris accumulation idea might only work with sand.

That actually makes sense -- given the kind of "smoother" nature of the sand with regard to debris being able to "fall off" it...

Natural. Ship wreck

For the natural ship wreck theme I have a small ship in a 55 and it looks better than one giant one would. You would also need some drift wood for it but I think you need to decide on a theme and go for it. Belive me it's hard to have a tank you don't like! Good luck!:) ps (will try to post pics soon of my natural shipwreck)

For the natural ship wreck theme I have a small ship in a 55 and it looks better than one giant one would. You would also need some drift wood for it but I think you need to decide on a theme and go for it. Belive me it's hard to have a tank you don't like! Good luck!:) ps (will try to post pics soon of my natural shipwreck)

Hey 'Cowboys!

Thanks for joining in the thread; indeed, I believe we discussed your shipwreck piece in the other thread...however, I just don't think that is going to happen for this tank...we have so much invested in decor for this one that I am TRYING as best as possible to make the Asian thing work. Also, I want to see if I can somehow work that bridge into some kind of layout, so that's why I am also considering the "castle" theme...

I would love to see pictures of your tank for inspiration; thanks!

WHOOOO-HOOOOOO!!!!! Reached 1,000 posts!! :whistle::dance::dance::dance:

Anyway...here's something else I have been chewing on with regard to decorating...I saw a YouTube video in which some rep who called himself a "Pet Expert" for the "Petland" chain was demonstrating how to decorate a tank from scratch with plastic ornaments and such...he talked about the "rule of three" when it came to plastic plants, and I wanted some input about this...

He claimed to use plants from the same group and place them together in "threes" -- that is, take the three tallest plants from that "series" or "family" and place them together towards the back corners, and take the smaller versions of those same plant families and put them towards the foreground in front of the tall ones (everyone knows about the tall in back/short up front arrangement); here's the video:

Petzio - Decorating Your Aquarium - YouTube

This got me thinking about my own tank -- should I take the two taller green ones I have towards the back and group them together for now, as suggested in the video, so that they look like they "belong"? What are your thoughts on this?

BTW...this guy in the video is an absolute hoot...a "piece of work" as some might say...listen carefully when he talks about the "Abulia" plants he's putting in....he goes, at one point, "if you can believe that..."

LOL...

...and I don't know what he's talking about with regard to this "Easter Island" decoration he throws in there, either; but he and the show host seem awfully excited about what they call a "very popular ornament"...:rolleyes::popcorn:

I was thinking of doing some redecorating today during the time of a weekly 50% water change, but here are my concerns before I begin that I would like to get opinions on:

What if I moved the BRIDGE ornament, which looks like this:

images

And which sits off to the LEFT of our tank right now, and moved it to the direct CENTER of the aquarium, then took the Asian gazebo piece which looks like this:

images

And which sits off to the RIGHT of the tank right now, and moved that to sit directly NEXT to the bridge on the right side of it, facing forward?

Then -- I could take the Bonsai tree, which looks like this:

images

And move that so that it sits to the LEFT of the bridge...so, in other words, the bridge would look like it's "connecting" the tree and the gazebo, with maybe the little "garden" my wife created with cut-up pieces of Marineland "plant mat" coming from the gazebo and running under the bridge?

The idea here would be to kind of substitute what I had in mind for the castle pieces -- putting two pieces on either side of the bridge so that they were "connected" in the center of the tank -- with the Asian decor we have now...

If anyone could visualize this, what do you think?

Back
Top Bottom