At Long Last.... Sydney's Rimless Tank Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After looking at lots of pictures on Google, I think I'm going with....... *drum roll*
Green Neons! While I like the Chili Rasboras and Normans Lampeyes a lot, I think the Green Neons will be the right combo of Blue/Green that I'm looking for. Besides, there will be other tanks waiting for the other species ;) Wetspot has them for 10/$16, new this week.
Now, what should I add with them?

I have Neon rasbora's, blue variant. They also come in gold and green color variants. They are very small as well.

I have Neon rasbora's, blue variant. They also come in gold and green color variants. They are very small as well.

I really like those as well... Hmm....

Plant question... Getting myself into trouble looking at different plant options LOL. Wondering if you guys have more suggestions of plants that would work well with this light and with glut? I want to keep it fairly simple, but now I am wanting more than three plant species I think. Hehe.

I'd avoid trying the microsword carpet, or any carpet without co2. MS grows painfully slow and usually just accumulates some type of algae. Plus, you can't just trim it like a grass, you have to pull it up, trim the runners, and replant the good stuff. Just too big of a pain, IMO.

I'd avoid trying the microsword carpet, or any carpet without co2. MS grows painfully slow and usually just accumulates some type of algae. Plus, you can't just trim it like a grass, you have to pull it up, trim the runners, and replant the good stuff. Just too big of a pain, IMO.

Yeah that sounds like too much work... Haha. What about S. Repens? Ok with glut?

Yeah that sounds like too much work... Haha. What about S. Repens? Ok with glut?

It should be okay with glut. I don't know how fast it'll grow though, I only have it with co2.

I think if you create an interesting enough hardscape, and plant densely around that, it makes for a cool looking tank with just the sandy bottom. Your gonna do some kind of branchy look right? With some manzanita?

It should be okay with glut. I don't know how fast it'll grow though, I only have it with co2.

I think if you create an interesting enough hardscape, and plant densely around that, it makes for a cool looking tank with just the sandy bottom. Your gonna do some kind of branchy look right? With some manzanita?

Ok. I think S. Repens is a cool looking plant. I am ok with waiting for it to carpet :)

As for the hardscape, I am going to have a brancy piece of manzanita in the back left corner. Was stuck between crypts and anubia nana of petite on the DW, going to go with Anubias. Wondering if this light will put me at low or medium light? One plant I like is Ammania sp. Bonsai, but I don't think it will work in this tank.

I think you'll be at medium light. HM (regular baby tears) would grow fairly easily. I like how it's a small stem plant and works to preserve the scale of a smaller tank. S. Repens as mentioned is a great idea. Maybe blyxa and/or AR mini would be nice as well? The red diodes in the Planted+ would make that AR mini pop. That's if you wanted a touch of red?

I think you'll be at medium light. HM (regular baby tears) would grow fairly easily. I like how it's a small stem plant and works to preserve the scale of a smaller tank. S. Repens as mentioned is a great idea. Maybe blyxa and/or AR mini would be nice as well? The red diodes in the Planted+ would make that AR mini pop. That's if you wanted a touch of red?

What is AR mini? I am also fond of Hygro. Brown, I think if I kept is trimmed it would be a cool addition. A touch of red could be nice.

Ok... So.... I'm going with Sundanio Axelrodi 'Blue Form' as my school instead of the Green Neons. They are less common and I think they would do better in a smaller thank.

Just so you know when you get in the Neon rasbora's they will be dull in color from stress. It took 2 or so weeks before they actually started to color up. Plus young ones won't have near the color of the adults. When I got my 30 for the 55g I only had a few larger ones that colored back up fairly quickly but I still have some tiny, maybe 3/8", that are not nearly colored up yet. So just be patient with them.

Just so you know when you get in the Neon rasbora's they will be dull in color from stress. It took 2 or so weeks before they actually started to color up. Plus young ones won't have near the color of the adults. When I got my 30 for the 55g I only had a few larger ones that colored back up fairly quickly but I still have some tiny, maybe 3/8", that are not nearly colored up yet. So just be patient with them.

Good to know. Where did you get them from? I'll have mine shipped from Wetspot in Portland.

Does anyone have anymore plant suggestions?

I like blyxxa in low tech nano tanks, the key being that without CO2 they're not as much of a pain because they don't need to be trimmed as often. I have ammania sp. bonsai in a non-CO2 5 gal tank right now and they're just doing ok. The tops look very good but they look pretty scraggly the closer they are to the substrate, and I have pretty good par (Finnex Fugeray). It was just an experiment with them and I'll probably take them out. With that said though I do think with the right balance of light, ferts and glut they could probably do fine, although I'm not sure if a Fugeray-R would be up to task. I also did s. repens for a bit but ultimately I found the growth a little too slow for my liking and an opting instead for something easier like true dwarf sag since this tank gets the least amount of attention out of my three.

I know you've probably made your decision on fauna but a personal recommendation I would have are dwarf emerald rasboras. They're very pretty once they color up.

I like blyxxa in low tech nano tanks, the key being that without CO2 they're not as much of a pain because they don't need to be trimmed as often. I have ammania sp. bonsai in a non-CO2 5 gal tank right now and they're just doing ok. The tops look very good but they look pretty scraggly the closer they are to the substrate, and I have pretty good par (Finnex Fugeray). It was just an experiment with them and I'll probably take them out. With that said though I do think with the right balance of light, ferts and glut they could probably do fine, although I'm not sure if a Fugeray-R would be up to task. I also did s. repens for a bit but ultimately I found the growth a little too slow for my liking and an opting instead for something easier like true dwarf sag since this tank gets the least amount of attention out of my three.

I know you've probably made your decision on fauna but a personal recommendation I would have are dwarf emerald rasboras. They're very pretty once they color up.

Good info, thanks. For some reason, not a huge fan of Blyxa. Nice plant, I just don't really like it. Good to know about the ammania sp. bonsai. That's what I figured.

Back
Top Bottom